Wallpaper editing

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Dakes

Wallpaper editing

Post by Dakes »

I need some help with changing colours on images I'm using as my wallpaper. There are four pictures of a red Mech/Robot on the following page that I really like:

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/693/693774/imgs_1.html

They go well with the theme I'm using but it would have been better to have the red colours made blue. I know nothing about image editing and don't know how hard it would be to do this. If anyone out there has the skill and available time to do it I would greatly appreciate it :wink: I would like the red on the Mech/Robot made blue and the blue on the head region could be any colour that matches well other than blue.

Thanks in advance :!:
Dakes
Brother Hiram, wish you were here!
Thanks Disruptor!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

hehehe....

get GIMPed... asap...

in 2 minutes...

select by color -> additive op.
colorize
hue additive layer and...

voila...
8)

<puppy says will maybe think of doing the others sometime else... see visor color - you really not likey...?>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

Thanks rustypup, that is awesome! I tried to use Gimp for something once and got completely lost. How long did it take you to do?
Thanks Disruptor!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Dakes wrote:How long did it take you to do?
err. pleasure...

that was literally 2 minutes worth of work.... it took longer uploading the result... :)

still more work to be done, you'll still pick up some red/pink undertones... but should give you some idea of the possibilities...

as for the Gimp part, check Grokking the Gimp, (if i recall, included as part of the install process).

One of the default selection tools is Select by Color*, allowing you to specify the selection threshold, whether or not to feather the selection etc... use this for the bulk selection op. By switching to the "magic wand" tool , you can opt to deselect any artifacts you wont need by ctrl clicking.

At this point I would copy the selection to a new image, (make sure you anchor it .....). Now , right click and choose Tools -> Color Tools -> Colorise* to begin changing the tone .... just one of a million ways to achieve the desired affect.... and copy pasting back again when done.

preferably modify the original image using layers, allowing you to backtrack changes as necessary and apply layered affects....

its all good 8)

<NB! product plug>
(*Note: these ops are not exclusive to The Gimp, but we should make every attempt to support any open source project of this quality - it truly is that impressive....).
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

Rusty, could you spare another 6 minutes using your marvelous open source product :wink: ?
Thanks Disruptor!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

hmmm.... 100th edition melting plastic on the desk or fiddle with images in gimp....

hmmmmm

:lol:

<puppy gets some brew and opens mag.... :)>

hey...lookie... dvd has the latest gimp... :wink:
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

rustypup wrote:hey...lookie... dvd has the latest gimp... :wink:
A sign, surely! :lol:
Thanks Disruptor!