Launch Kinternet from commandline?

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
AlphA

Launch Kinternet from commandline?

Post by AlphA »

Hi guys,

Ok, so these Linux forums seem to be slow and not many Linux users around...but anyway, here goes nothing......

I'm trying to figure out a way of launching Kinternet from the commandline as ROOT. That way, I can log in and out of KDE without losing my internet connection.

Does anybody know how to do this? I know smpppd has got to be running...I know how to launch that from the commandline...but need to figure out how to dial in using Kinternet..

Any help would be appreciated.
jee

Post by jee »

Hmm I'm still a complete idiot with Linux and have not really worked with SUSE, but have a look at the following:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/sus ... /ch18.html

From my understading Kinternet is the GUI for ppp.wvdial... Perhaps checking in the KDE under KPPP might help.
http://docs.kde.org/
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Thanks a lot for your help Jee.....I'll check it out when I have a bit more time ....

Have to take wifey shopping now...

Will let you know how it goes...
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Jee --> Just read the documentation you posted. Thanks. I will give it a shot tonight when I get home and will let you know how it goes....

Thanks
larry

Post by larry »

did you come right with this at all.

What i do is the following

cinternet -i ippp0 --status #this shows status
cinternet -i ippp0 --start #to start the connection
cineternet -i ippp0 --stop #to stop connection

ippp0 = ISDN
ppp0 = ANALOG MODEMS

This way you dont need kde at all.

regards
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Larry - Actually.... I read through the links that Jee posted...and read the man pages on cinternet. I've only tried to connect using the commandline once (when I connected five mins ago)...Wife was calling me for something, so I ended up just doing it through KDE *holds head in shame* :oops:

I will, however, try the above commands you posted...

Thanks a lot man....appreciated...

PS : Welcome to the forums....
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

larry wrote:did you come right with this at all.

What i do is the following

cinternet -i ippp0 --status #this shows status
cinternet -i ippp0 --start #to start the connection
cineternet -i ippp0 --stop #to stop connection

ippp0 = ISDN
ppp0 = ANALOG MODEMS

This way you dont need kde at all.

regards
Forgot to mention that the above commands worked like a charm once smpppd was running. Thanks a lot for your help Larry...
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Larry ->

The only issue I have is this :

1) I log into the GUI as a regular user (or any user for that matter!)

2) Open a new commendline session (tty2) by hitting CTRL+F2 --> log in as root

3) In the tty2 session, I start cinterent.

4) If I go back to tty7 (GUI), I notice Kinternet shows the active connection to the net.

5) If I log out of tty7, the connection being run as root on tty2 will disconnect! Even the two are two totally different sessions!

The reason I wanted to lauch internet from the commandline is so that I would be able to switch users on the GUI without losing the connection! But that does'nt seem to the case...

Any help on this one?
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Can i ask why you don't just stay logged in as root? i only ever log in as root, that way you don't have to keep entering the root password everytime you wanna change the slightest litle setting!
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

AlphA wrote:Larry ->

The only issue I have is this :

1) I log into the GUI as a regular user (or any user for that matter!)

2) Open a new commendline session (tty2) by hitting CTRL+F2 --> log in as root

3) In the tty2 session, I start cinterent.

4) If I go back to tty7 (GUI), I notice Kinternet shows the active connection to the net.

5) If I log out of tty7, the connection being run as root on tty2 will disconnect! Even the two are two totally different sessions!

The reason I wanted to lauch internet from the commandline is so that I would be able to switch users on the GUI without losing the connection! But that does'nt seem to the case...

Any help on this one?
I'll ask Larry to browse this way tomorrow, he'll more than likely be able to answer all your questions! He seriously knows his stuff when it comes to Linux and SuSE!!
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Thanks Friggs....
Recon

Post by Recon »

From what I've quickly read here you are using a dial-up connection. And not a permenant connection eg. xDSL.

What you need to do is, read through your distribution pages and find the command for dialing from console without the K server. Once the connection is established it will see the connectionas a network device. By typing ifconfig it will show the connection as ppp0.

When you get your dialing commands try this.

nohup DIALINGCOMMAND &&

What this does, is it runs the command in the background and logs the output to nohup.out. Which means, That even though you kill that X Server it will still keep running.

You mentioned that Larry's commands worked. then do this.

nohup cinternet -i ippp0 --start &&
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Recon --> Thanks for your help! I'm pretty sure that will work...I am familiar with nohup and use it in some shell scripts here at work. Just didn'nt think of doing it for the cinternet command. I will try it out when I get home tonight and will let you know if it works...

Thanks again for the response..

AlphA
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

oh cr@p ... Just dialed up to the internet and forgot to try this script out! Oh well, next time....