Fedora Core 3, Apache and MySQL

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
JEdiWaNNaBE

Fedora Core 3, Apache and MySQL

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

I recently installed Fedora Core 3 on my linux box, and i have to say that i'm impressed, it boots in half the time that Mandrake 10 did, and imo it is more user friendly (I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to linux)

Anyway, i want to set up a simple web server (For a intranet) on this computer so that i can test php sites that i make (At the mo i have apache, etc. installed on my windows box). So i start up httpd and mysqld and copy my site and phpmyadmin into the doc root for apache.

Goto the phpmyadmin address from the box and it tells me that it can't connect to the mysql server using the socket (And it gives the path), i go look there and the socket file thingy is there. I go ahead and change the config for phpmyadmin to connect to 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost, thats the first strange thing. Whats happening there?

Second i goto the actual site of mine, and i need to do the same change. But then it complains that it can't write to the dir that it writes the compiled templates to (Uses smarty). So i chmod the dir to 777 and what do you know, it gives the same error. I've even changed the owner of the dir to apache and it still doesn't work. Whats wrong??
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Um, anybody out there have any idea?
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Sorry dude, the only experience I have with apache is to install it .... then start the service by saying "rcapache start" --> Thats it! Then, I can log on the http://lIP_OF_ SERVER:80 and I get the index page.

Just one thing though.... have you installed JDBC? I understand it needs to be installed if you want your pages to connect to a MYSql d/base...

Sorry I can't help much more..
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Nope, you don't need JDBC. PHP already has all the necessary modules.

But, anyway. I installed Mandrake 10.1 Community and lo and behold it works.

Pitty really, cause i really like the tools that Fedora Core 3 comes with.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Dude, I know how you feel....Before I tried SuSE, I really liked RedHat 8...but I could'nt get my ISDN to work on it!

I say you stick with FC3 if u like it! Google a bit and you will find the solution to your problem!
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

No, its cool. At the moment i'm really only using the pc as a intranet testing server. I'll only really start using it after i've bought a KVM switch (But i first need a new GFX, then maybe)

Anyway, i want to switch to SUSE 9.3 some time in the future when i have the time to go and get copies from varsity
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Allrighty then....cool ;-)