Star Wars history and general discussion

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Belix wrote:I was just thinking, it's good that 4-6 came before 1-3. Otherwise we would know right from the beginning that Luke is Darth's son. Would kinda ruin it a bit.
I'm also glad we had the surprise of the "I am your father moment" although I never watched 4,5, and 6 in order. I saw 6 first, so I knew Darth Vader was Luke's father even before I saw ESB. And it's so pop culture, people who haven't even seen the movies know that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father. One of my friends' girlfriend hadn't seen any of the SW movies, so we showed her all the episodes in order 1, 2, Episode 3 at the cinemas, and then 4, 5 and 6... and she actually liked it and thought the story flows well.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

O.K, I see where you're going with this. But I did fail to mention that the Jedi died in the clone wars. You see, there is an X-wing pilot known as Corran Horn (One of my favourite post-ROTJ characters). The story basically comes down to this: his wife gets kidnapped, and desparate in saving her, he turns to Luke (who has, three years prior to this, extended an invitation for Corran to develop his latent Force abilities- he was Force-sensitive).
After completing some of training, he sets off and rescues his wife. Along the way, he meets a Camaasi (a species destroyed by Palpatine because they are a threat to him), whose grandfather was a Jedi master, who was in turn, was a close friend of Cairan Halcyon- Corran's grandfather. (Corran's father changed his name to protect him from the Jedi Hunters). The camaasi have the ability to share feelings, thoughts and memory- literally. Any person that they pass a memory onto, can hear, see and feel what they feel. The Cammasi Jedi saved this memory, and later passed it on to his grandson, who passed it onto Corran. It was this Jedi, who died and faded away, during the clone wars. He died fighting some fallen Jedi- who I -think- (I don't know for sure) were recruited by Dooku, or even Palpatine himself. :)
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Interesting, but you must remember that Lucas does not care much for the EU, in his films, there is no evidence than any other Jedi has the ability to disappear, other than Obi-Wan and Yoda. ( And possibly Anakin, we don't know if he was still inside the Darth Vader suit that Luke burned at the end of ROTJ )

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

True, but I thought you said all the novels get submited to some or other Lucas company before they get published?
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

They are licensed by one of Lucas' companies, but obviously he does not personally read all the stories. And he is free to contradict them if he so chooses. Some of those books are just flat out bad, but some are pretty good also. Have you read the Thrawn trilogy? Those are probably the best Star Wars books I've read so far.

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Hmmm, 'lemme check. I' ve read Heir to the Empire, but unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on the last two. Timothy Zhan also wrote Specter of the Past, and vision of the future, which stars a clone of Thrawn (sort of an extention of the trilogy, only further on in time).:twisted: These are also two of the better books I've read.

Yup, Zhan is one of the better writers, he is. I also have his First Contact, but have not read it yet :( Tukkies exams...
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Cool, I've heard about the two Thrawn sequels, but never got to read them - they are pretty scarce. It's quite interesting to note that Tim Zahn came up with the name Coruscant, the planet Kashyyyk and some other elements that Lucas used in the Prequels.

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

O.K, now that I didn't know. Which other books that you've read are cool?

Ever read the X-Wing series? Great stuff...
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Hmm let me think, I read the first part of the Jedi apprentice series - it was alright. I've read a couple of the X-Wing series books, but not all of them... And there was Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which came out right after ANH - it wasn't very good... Other than that, not many Star Wars books were available here until recently.

I've been wanting to get some of the NJO series of books, but there are so many and I don't know the exact sequence - I've seen some for sale at TOP CD in Menlyn.

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

How much?

I've read Splinter of the mind's eye, not that good, imo.

Haven't read all the X-Wings either, but those I have are great.

I've also read:
I, Jedi
1st four books of Jedi apprentice.
Edge of Victory1: Conquest
Tales from Jabba's palace (not that great)
Specter of the Past
Vision of the future
1st four of X-Wing series, no. 6; 8 and 9.
namely: X-Wing; Wedge's Gamble; The Krytos Trap; The Bacta Wars; (Busy with)Iron Fist; Isard's Revenge & Starfighters of Adumar
Planet of Twilight
Darksaber
Dart Maul: Shadow Hunter (or was it the other one, Saboteur?.. can't remember) 'newayz
Heir to the Empire
The Star Wars 3in1 trilogy
Episode1: The Phantom Menace (book- better than the movie)
And then some that I probably can't remember.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

In my experience, almost all of the Starwars books are by _awful_ writers, and if I weren't so interested in the storyline behind them, I would have given up after the first few pages.

In other news, Lucas has ideas about a possible prequel to the prequel series
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

did you know that the saber anniken uses in epIII is the original one vader used in epIV, V ,VI......
~~*Head of the Druidic Council of the Pride of Darkness*~~
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
Belix

Post by Belix »

Synkronos wrote:In my experience, almost all of the Starwars books are by _awful_ writers, and if I weren't so interested in the storyline behind them, I would have given up after the first few pages.

In other news, Lucas has ideas about a possible prequel to the prequel series
That would be good. A movie all to yoda :)

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Hey, the writers can't be that bad. I've been reading all my life, and I enjoy most Star Wars books immensly. They can't be all bad. Maybe you just read some of the 'off' ones.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

qwiksilva666 wrote:did you know that the saber anniken uses in epIII is the original one vader used in epIV, V ,VI......
No, that's wrong. It's the lightsaber Obi-Wan gives Luke in ANH and Luke continues to use it in ESB until his hand gets cut off.

Oh, and before anyone complains about bad acting in Episode 3 again, watch that fan film called Revelations. The special effects are really jaw dropping for a fan film, and the poor guy invested $20 000 in the project, but the actors are some of the ugliest, and talentless people I've ever seen.

Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:watch that fan film called Revelations. The special effects are really jaw dropping for a fan film, and the poor guy invested $20 000 in the project, but the actors are some of the ugliest, and talentless people I've ever seen.
I've got it on my PC, I must just get around to watching it. However, after what you say, I might just never get around to it :roll:
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Well I'd recommend that you watch it at least once - the guy really got some talented artists to do the SFX for the movie, it's just too bad he couldn't find better actors... and a better writer also would not have hurt.

qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:
qwiksilva666 wrote:did you know that the saber anniken uses in epIII is the original one vader used in epIV, V ,VI......
No, that's wrong. It's the lightsaber Obi-Wan gives Luke in ANH and Luke continues to use it in ESB until his hand gets cut off.

Oh, and before anyone complains about bad acting in Episode 3 again, watch that fan film called Revelations. The special effects are really jaw dropping for a fan film, and the poor guy invested $20 000 in the project, but the actors are some of the ugliest, and talentless people I've ever seen.
really? cool....then YOU magazine is wrong. well i guess they always wrong.....shot 4 the correction onlyone
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Hehe, no problem. Remeber the scene where Obi-Wan says to Luke "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough..."? Well that's when he hands Luke the saber Anakin used in Ep 3. :)

qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

oooooh......lol....lets all write to YOU stating how crap and innacurate their info is....
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
simmy

Post by simmy »

Didnt YOU mean that the saber, i.e. the actuall saber, was handed down/used?
Belix

Post by Belix »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Hehe, no problem. Remeber the scene where Obi-Wan says to Luke "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough..."? Well that's when he hands Luke the saber Anakin used in Ep 3. :)
When did Anakin actually ask Obi-Wan? Can't remember that part...nor can I remember Obi-Wan taking the sabre in the first place.

(legit questions, not trying to be sarcastic)

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

simmy wrote:Didnt YOU mean that the saber, i.e. the actuall saber, was handed down/used?
yes...they sed that it was the actual prop used in the episodes 4,5 and 6......
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Belix wrote:
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Hehe, no problem. Remeber the scene where Obi-Wan says to Luke "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough..."? Well that's when he hands Luke the saber Anakin used in Ep 3. :)
When did Anakin actually ask Obi-Wan? Can't remember that part...nor can I remember Obi-Wan taking the sabre in the first place.

(legit questions, not trying to be sarcastic)
Anakin didn't ask Obi-Wan. It was kinda a white lie he told Luke. You see Obi-Wan pick up the saber after he chops off Anakin's legs and arm in Episode 3, right after he says "You were the Chosen One..."
simmy wrote:
Didnt YOU mean that the saber, i.e. the actuall saber, was handed down/used?

yes...they sed that it was the actual prop used in the episodes 4,5 and 6......
It wasn't used in 6, Luke lost it with his hand in Ep 5. And as far as I know, it wasn't the same prop, it was a replica, because it was supposed to look newer in Ep 3 than it did in Ep 4 and 5.

brabham

Post by brabham »

Synkronos wrote:
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:watch that fan film called Revelations. The special effects are really jaw dropping for a fan film, and the poor guy invested $20 000 in the project, but the actors are some of the ugliest, and talentless people I've ever seen.
I've got it on my PC, I must just get around to watching it. However, after what you say, I might just never get around to it :roll:
Ooooh remind me about that the next LAN will ya. :P
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer