Star Wars history and general discussion

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Post by Prime »

oh ok. well ill check back a few pages when i have a chance.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I am sorry Leigh, I didn't mean to insult your intelligence or to imply you know nothing about film, one of my more irritating traits is trying to force my point of view on other people - I apologise. I just think the acting is fine for the movie.

Sykomatis - glad to meet another Star Wars fanatic! Did you notice Tarkin with Vader and the Emperor overlooking the construction of the Death Star? That was pretty cool.

The disappearing Jedi thing wasn't fully explained in the films though, only that Obi-Wan would learn the trick from Qui-Gon while he was living on Tatooine. Apparently no other Jedi before Obi-Wan could do this.
SykomantiS wrote:The film was a bit disappointing, and I used to love the clone troopers (thanks to Republic Commando), but now I hate them. However, it's Star Wars, and I love it for that.

Some other facts:
1. Tarkin oversaw Death Star construction, but a female alien named Kwi Xux (man I hope that even vaguely resembles her name) designed it. She also designed a space ship, called a Sun-crusher, which is truly invincible. (After ROTJ one of Luke's students flies into a gas giant planet, and it still isn't destroyed).
2. Jedi masters: when Darth Vader struck Obi-Wan down, he became one with the force, thus his body dissapears. This is explained in a novel called "I, Jedi." This happens to all Jedi masters. Once they die, their bodies disappear and they become one with the Force.
3. Chewbacca: He dies fighting the Yuuzhan Vong, because of a screw-up by Anikin Solo (Leia's youngest, and strongest child).
4. Jedi hunters: According to some of the novels I've read, the Emporor actually had some specialized Jedi hunters, though not much is said about them.
5. Death Stars: There are three. Two in the movies, and a third, called the Darksaber (opposite of a lightsaber, because it is used for evil). It was givin this name, because a Hutt, who found the plan to the original Death Star modified the plans, in order to make the core laser much, much more powerful than either of the first two. In doing so, it took on the silindric-like shape of a lightsaber. It was never used, because poor construciton resulted in the core blowing up just as the laser powered up.

I'm a freak, I know. If I remember any other interesting facts, Ill post them here.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Saw the movie last night. I must admit i went there thinking i was in for a long evening but i was pleasantly suprised.

I wasn't highly impressed with the dialogue in general but i think the script has a lot to blame for that.
I watched a clip the other day with our good friend Mr Lucas and he mentioned that he created Star Wars more like a silent movie with a superb musical score, and the dialogue is like an after thought.

That said as a special effects extravaganza and a damn cool Sci-fi it certainly worked for me. The sound effects are superb.

I ate my popcorn, watched and left having enjoyed myself :)

I left the theatre thinking i wished i knew more about the vast intricacies of Star Wars.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
brabham

Post by brabham »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:The disappearing Jedi thing wasn't fully explained in the films though, only that Obi-Wan would learn the trick from Qui-Gon while he was living on Tatooine. Apparently no other Jedi before Obi-Wan could do this.
If no other Jedi before Obi-Wan could do it then how exactly did Qui-Gon Jin do it? After all Obi-Wan learnt from Qui-Gon Jin didn't he?
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Prime

Post by Prime »

just one thought. have you notice the symbolism in the poster. anakin is the most powerful jedi tunred sith and is just below darth vader.

also had mace windu killed darth sidious then he would have probably been removed from the order and possibly have joined the dakr side and had obiwan killed anakin(aka darth vader) the same mite have happed so iether way there was no way ot pvent the rise of the galatic empire.

or am i completeley off my rocker
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:I am sorry Leigh, I didn't mean to insult your intelligence or to imply you know nothing about film, one of my more irritating traits is trying to force my point of view on other people - I apologise. I just think the acting is fine for the movie.
Your apology is totally accepted :) For what it's worth, I am actually a big Star Wars fan - the original trilogy was one of the things that got me really into films and visual effects.
human slave in an insect nation
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Onlyone: I don't think Obi-Wan learnt the disappearing act from Qui Gon, I think he learnt the 'coming back from the netherworld of the force' thing. The disappearing thing isn't something a Jedi master learns, it's one of the perks of living in harmony with the force.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

[SPOILER ALERT!]
Not to beat a dead horse, but leigh was actually very restrained... the whole Hallmark thing at the end left me feeling ill ....

Just a couple of concerns....
1) Apparently the science of the day is still incapable of preventing death from childbirth... which does not bode well for us as a species...
2) Windscreens are magically repaired when re-entering the atmosphere, ergardless of how they were broken...
3) For a Jedi, (who are supposed to be *good* personified), Obi Wan's reaction to ol' Darth's predicament is a little sick...
4) Yoda is still alone... ie.. there are never any yodettes around to explain him as a species... as such the natural assumption must be that he got so good 'cause he practised on his race, leaving no survivors and making him the ultimate Dark Lord.... :)

May the farce be with u...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DarkPond

Post by DarkPond »

Didn't Padme die because she had lost the will to live? No science can stop that.
Dark Throne

Av by SybAGreY
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

DarkPond wrote:Didn't Padme die because she had lost the will to live? No science can stop that.
<tears streaming down face>
bwahahahahaha!

[Edit: expln...]
{SPOILER!}
The whole premise behind Darth's persona was that she would die in childbirth... so clearly this was still an issue... the fact that she "lost the will to live" was possibly even worse.... seriosuly, what centurty is the based in ? Never mind the soapie, who actually ever died from this? really?
<gets grabbed from behind and fitted with a comfy jacket with really long sleeves>
it makes no sense! can't they see this...? aaargh!!!!!
<huddels in corner and admits defeat>
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Another rumor I just heard, upon discussing Star Wars with one of my friends, is that Padme is alive, and that Luke went to search for her. (about the time of princess Leia's courtship with Han Solo)How true this is, I do not know. Personally I do not think this is the case, but then, maybe it is.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

brabham wrote:
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:The disappearing Jedi thing wasn't fully explained in the films though, only that Obi-Wan would learn the trick from Qui-Gon while he was living on Tatooine. Apparently no other Jedi before Obi-Wan could do this.
If no other Jedi before Obi-Wan could do it then how exactly did Qui-Gon Jin do it? After all Obi-Wan learnt from Qui-Gon Jin didn't he?
Qui-Gon figured out part of the trick, he didn't disappear after his death, and never materialised as a ghost. He was just a voice Jedi could communicate with, and only with practise. Yoda and Obi-Wan must have bettered the technique since they were able to appear as apparitions, both visible and audible to Luke, who did not have even half their training.
[SPOILER ALERT!]
Not to beat a dead horse, but leigh was actually very restrained... the whole Hallmark thing at the end left me feeling ill ....

Just a couple of concerns....
1) Apparently the science of the day is still incapable of preventing death from childbirth... which does not bode well for us as a species...
2) Windscreens are magically repaired when re-entering the atmosphere, ergardless of how they were broken...
3) For a Jedi, (who are supposed to be *good* personified), Obi Wan's reaction to ol' Darth's predicament is a little sick...
4) Yoda is still alone... ie.. there are never any yodettes around to explain him as a species... as such the natural assumption must be that he got so good 'cause he practised on his race, leaving no survivors and making him the ultimate Dark Lord....

May the farce be with u...
1) Star Wars happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It's not the future, it's the past. Science can't cure everything!

2)It wasn't magic. Obi-Wan closed the shutters while hanging onto the control panel.

3)Obi-Wan was supposed to kill Anakin, he didn't. He could not bring himself to kill his friend. He was quite merciful, considering all the things Anakin had done.

4)Watch Episode 1 again. There's two other characters of Yoda's species - one is called Yaddle - a female. The other has pink skin and can be seen standing with the other Jedi at the end of the film during the celebration.

Onlyone: I don't think Obi-Wan learnt the disappearing act from Qui Gon, I think he learnt the 'coming back from the netherworld of the force' thing. The disappearing thing isn't something a Jedi master learns, it's one of the perks of living in harmony with the force
I don't know, I didn't see any of the Jedi masters who were killed in Episode 3 disappear. Lucas was hinting all along that the disappearing Jedi was tied to the ability to regain their identity in the force after death. There might be an EU explanation for it, but I haven't read all the books.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

SykomantiS wrote:Another rumor I just heard, upon discussing Star Wars with one of my friends, is that Padme is alive, and that Luke went to search for her. (about the time of princess Leia's courtship with Han Solo)How true this is, I do not know. Personally I do not think this is the case, but then, maybe it is.
In the immortal words of Obi-Wan Kenobi : "I don't think so" :P

But it's possible Luke might have thought his mother was alive, after all, he found out his father was alive.

Prime

Post by Prime »

"luke i am your father" he he.

but yoda is still alive at the end of episode 6 isnt he.

btw if you played kotor then you meet yadar-of the same species as yoda. remebr jedis(and yoda included) are not supposed to fall in love.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

da_ripper wrote:"luke i am your father" he he.

but yoda is still alive at the end of episode 6 isnt he.

btw if you played kotor then you meet yadar-of the same species as yoda. remebr jedis(and yoda included) are not supposed to fall in love.
No, Yoda died during Ep 6 :lol:

The Yoda-type guy in KOTOR was called Vandar. :wink:

Prime

Post by Prime »

oh ooops my bad.

now i think i remeber, he dies at the end in his house or hovel or what ever that place was.

it was nice to see where chewbacca fits in, in episode 3
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote: 1) Star Wars happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It's not the future, it's the past. Science can't cure everything!
So, they have mastered inter-stellar flight, the force, super strength architecture and can pretty much handle the limb-loss with ease and within hours, but they have yet to prevent someone dying in child birth? - man, did their science take a wrong turn... 8)
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:2)It wasn't magic. Obi-Wan closed the shutters while hanging onto the control panel.
I'll never watch this dog again, but that re-entry shot had all windows, no shutters..... otherwise why mention it.... ? 8O
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:3)Obi-Wan was supposed to kill Anakin, he didn't. He could not bring himself to kill his friend. He was quite merciful, considering all the things Anakin had done.
So his act of kindness included watching him burn to death? - how is that merciful? I mean, disfigure him, then watch as he slowly catches fire, screaming like a stuck gerbil, then wonder off slowly..... man , is GL a sick puppy...... :twisted:

<can't honestly say he takes this seriously , just couldn't avoid taking one last jab though... dons the ol' asbestos suit and takes cover.... >
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Strangely addictive...

http://sithsense.com/flash.htm

I actually managed to catch him out earlier, when he couldn't guess after 30 questions.
human slave in an insect nation
Belix

Post by Belix »

Well what exactly was he supposed to do when Anikin burst into flame? Grab a bucket of water? He could not exactly kill him either, could he?

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I don't know, I didn't see any of the Jedi masters who were killed in Episode 3 disappear. Lucas was hinting all along that the disappearing Jedi was tied to the ability to regain their identity in the force after death. There might be an EU explanation for it, but I haven't read all the books.
As far as I know, the Jedi, in the book I read, wasn't one of the stronger masters, and was not part of the council, he was just a normal Jedi Master. But the Jedi Master in the book (I, Jedi - read it, it's really good) DID disappear after he was struck down- he "faded away". A sidenote: a Jedi can become a master, even if he is incapable of some of the feats of the Force, example, this Jedi- Cairan Halcyon) was totally unable to use telekenesis, but was highly trained in force absorbtion an mind domination, or mindtricks.
RanDom

Post by RanDom »

Star Wars Technology

Im not sure how many of you noticed but in the third movie especially you can see how the technology evolved. At the beginning you see early X-wings and tie fighters and towards the end you see the clone troops in what must have been early AT-STs. I just thought it was interesting.
Just a thought :idea:
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Leigh, while the '6' might have been a reference, I don't find it an obvious reference. I don't go looking for things like that all the time. If you want, you can see symbolism every time someone uses the number 6 (or 7, or 5). And I thought it originally came from the Jewish kaballah?

rustypup: I'm guessing that he closed the shutters for reentry (so that they wouldn't be burnt to a crisp), and then opened them once they were lower in the atmosphere (so they could see to land the damn thing, since just about all the instrumentation would have been melted or blasted off). I do think they could have been a bit more obvious about it, and I was also left wondering 'How exactly did that work?'

RanDom: Yeah, the slow evolution of tech was very cool, but I thought they did it a bit suddenly and obviously in Ep3. Eps 1 & 2 had their own style, obviously with elements from 4/5/6, but still unique. Then in Ep3 they go 'Oh ****! We better make these look more like Ep4! Okay, quick, change some things.' So, cool, but they could have been a bit more subtle about it
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Belix

Post by Belix »

I was just thinking, it's good that 4-6 came before 1-3. Otherwise we would know right from the beginning that Luke is Darth's son. Would kinda ruin it a bit.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Any other question anyone has about Star Wars? Anyone with some interesting facts, maybe??
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

SykomantiS wrote:
As far as I know, the Jedi, in the book I read, wasn't one of the stronger masters, and was not part of the council, he was just a normal Jedi Master. But the Jedi Master in the book (I, Jedi - read it, it's really good) DID disappear after he was struck down- he "faded away". A sidenote: a Jedi can become a master, even if he is incapable of some of the feats of the Force, example, this Jedi- Cairan Halcyon) was totally unable to use telekenesis, but was highly trained in force absorbtion an mind domination, or mindtricks.
Yes, but "I, Jedi" is post - ROTJ isn't it? By then, Luke would have taught new Jedi the trick that Obi-Wan or Yoda no doubt had taught him.

Synkronos, you're pretty spot on about the sudden appearances of prototype X-wings etc, though it could be explained that they were developed because of the clone wars. Weapons are always improved in leaps and bounds during times of war.