Cd or DVD option.

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Narkath

Post by Narkath »

Must...refrain...from...wetting...pants...in...excitement!
Did I see anime on the DVD?!!!

I swore I would never say another word on this topic. In light of this, however, I cannot hold to that oath. It is clear to me now that it is possible to put a DVD on a mag without increasing the price dramatically. I do predict, however, NAG to increase their price over the next two years or so, to gain any loss of profit (if there is any) they are suffering at the moment. It is possibly a scheme to attract more readers, to knock the competition, if you will. The R4 might turn into R12 in the years to come. Still, I give them the thumbs up for trying. Nothing is ever gained by keeping it safe. It's not my mag; I know I would want to keep it safe if it had a chance of crashing. But from a readers point of view, playing it safe is dull.

As far as voicing our opinions on the subject go, as I have said before, a fan driven product will never get any better if there is no input from buyers. The company will just assume fans are happy with what they have and continue doing what they are doing if people keep buying. Companies often put out surveys to see how they can please their customers more. I usually see this kind of poll, but it is limited to stuff that is already inside the mag e.g. , “which of the sections in the mag do you like most/least?” While this is good, I would like to see "what would you like to see in (and on it i.e. DVD and or content?) your mag in addition to your favorite mag sections?"
My father always told me the customer is always right, I believe it is true.

On filling a DVD...do you have any idea how fast I can fill a DVD if I had a limitless bandwidth/fast connection? Along with a monthly linux distro or two (yes, they are released this often if not sooner) you could add non licensed (approved to distribute) anime or...hell there is so much stuff out there.

I would love to say “good-bye to you PCF!” because of the DVD issue, but I buy PCF for the mag content since I am not a gamer. PCF's content 0wn3z NAG's. Still, having a DVD would be great.
gorak

Post by gorak »

welll ,well , well ............. sorry to say this but atm i am buying BOTH , but if my financial situation changed i will have to go with NAG ...... dvd rules ...... WAKE UP PCF !!!!!!!!!!! 8O
Even paranoid people have enemies !
Garrod

Post by Garrod »

DVD is much better there is so much more lovely movies and demos on it. DVD is going to be there every month now! YAY, and the DVD Decryptor, yes I have been using that for a long time now! It is truly great... I also thought it was dodgy of them to put it on the cover DVD
Freedom of Expression gives you the right to speak and also the responsibilty to be kind to others ;)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well the NAG DVD is faulty. I never knew my DVD Drive can make such strange noises. And I had to reinsert the thing like 4/5 times before it started reading.

Bad start if you ask me. Cheap discs or bad menu-building.

And to make matters worse I saw the BloodRayne movie trailer on there! This must be the worst game-inspired movie of all ages. I feel ashamed on their behalf, really. Kristanna Loken looks about as sexy as my granny, dressed in rags instead of skin-tight leather and she apparently rides on horseback during a hot shiny day and has no fangs. :roll: This dumbarse director Uwe Boll should be shot on site for totally (18L) one of my favorite games.

All in all that DVD left a bad taste in my mouth...
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Is it just a once in a million years issue or is it permanent?>?
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

i think it's permanent
What does man fear most? That no one will understand him, or that someone truly might?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah it's here to stay.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Cool! I might just subscribe!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well if you like playing demo's and watching game trailers then yeah go for it.

Personally I see 20 movies as a waste.

The game extra's seems ok though but seeing it's a gaming mag they may as well throw in all the add-ons, maps and mods they can fit. PCF UK had all the Doom 3 mods in one easy install on their DVD a month or two ago by example and I found that just brilliant. They even packed a Valve approved Half-Life 2 PCF map the month thereafter and in the issue we'll be getting here in SA this month (February, it's imported so it comes in arrears) they will have those Half-Life 2 completed in 40 minutes movies etc.

So a little bit less movies and more game content should set them straight. But alas this was their first attempt though so let's wait and see.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Hehehe, I dont know why everyone is complaining about the DVD not working... my 4 year old DVD rom reads it at top speed without a hitch...

I now, after not buying any mag for a few months started buying NAG... It has the one thing that PCF mainly lacks ... Demo's ... Sure, there is the occasional 1 or MAYBE 2 , but in a gaming mag I expect demos to be there...

What I really like about this all is the big amount of Trial games (Labeled correctly as Demo's , NOT "3DNot" ... The freegames on the disc are true freegames and hence Full versions... This is how things should be.

Im not trying to dis PCF in any way on this, just cannot understand how they can complain about having to raise prices to R70 if NAG can do it for R39...

I have not yet played all the demos on the NAG, not enough time... I read a few articles and thought it was quite enjoyable, but dislike the PS/PSP/PS2/GBA etc console part as I am not a console gamer... Still a few interesting reads on those topics available as well...

I must however say I am thoroughly put of Gran Turismo 4... I saw the video of the rally part and its SO badly done... Arcade, cannot go onto the grass on the sides... It looks like the first Colin Macrae rally, in arcade mode with upped graphics...

After playing it with a BMW 1 series (Auto Afirca) and seeing the normal video I was almost sold to save for a PS2 , but that video saved me a lot of money...

Wow, long post by my standards...

*sigh* Lecture in a short while...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
aXe

Post by aXe »

My DVD was also faulty then I returned the magazine for another one and that DVD read, but with difficulty. The DVD Drive is perfect because I actaully did test it with other DVD's. Only NAG's DVD caused problems
MRG
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Nope... Been using this DVD non stop... Runs like a charm... :twisted: :wink:
My BF2142 Stats:

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Maby they get DVD's for 50cents!! :twisted:
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

At R4 a DVD it would cost the same as a CD cost 3 years back... Why cant this be considered?
My BF2142 Stats:

neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

WiKiD wrote:Maby they get DVD's for 50cents!! :twisted:
Have they also been shot nine times?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Huh? You lost me there neon...
My BF2142 Stats:

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Bwahahahahah!!!
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

At least Wikid is on the same page.
Slasher wrote:Huh? You lost me there neon...
I get that a lot.

Let's put it like this, which platinium record selling hiphop artist has been shot nine times and has something to do with a half a dollar?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Have they also been shot nine times?
Haha
Huh? You lost me there neon...
Haha
Let's put it like this, which platinium record selling hiphop artist has been shot nine times and has something to do with a half a dollar?
Haha. This is a hilarious thread!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
amdretard

Post by amdretard »

We are still waiting for a response from you guy

we are not trying to knock you down we are giving Constructive criticism

But come on how can nag do it for 30 buck cheaper than you guys say is possible
My friends think i need a life. What do you think?
junjun

Post by junjun »

i bought the nag and i came with a dvd,i think that they are gona come eith dvd's from now on,

but i you wana wacth movies and play a hole lot of demos then its for,theres nothing really good to read(dont tell me thats y its called nag)and the demo's well there demo's.

no ofence to all you nag wannbe's but i wont be buying it nemore RATHER I STICK TO NEVER FAILING PCF.
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Only thing is that NAG now has a DVD (Yes, they have one every month and have had this for about 2 months already) and their price only went up by about R3!! So come on PCF!

BTW, i have only ever bought one nag and that was once when i was at a airport waiting for my flight, and i had already read my PCF like 4 times!
amdretard

Post by amdretard »

we are still waitng for a comment from pcformat
jee

Post by jee »

amdretard wrote:we are still waiting for a comment from pcformat
you are obviously not consentrating... go and re-read everything. Be patient. Be productive. Or as my mother use to say "go play on the railway line" :P
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
amdretard

Post by amdretard »

i have read all things and agg who care if i had any sense i d buy NAg and pcformat
nag for coverdisk and pcformat for the reviews

i'll drop it from now on

but R55 for one mag is better than 75 for two