ISDN

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
SadistiK

ISDN

Post by SadistiK »

Heya Peeps

I'm getting my Isdn reconnected.

I just want some of your opinions on this, Maybe a couple of mods's too (Cameron?)

These Prices are rounded to the nearest cent.

Once Off Fee's
Installation R398 (ISDN 2)
Infinate Call Plan R51

Then Monhtly

ISP R99 (ABSA 64K Access)
Rental R180
Infinate Call Plan R51
Calls R160 (Every Night and Weekends)

Total : R 490 Monthly (except for the 1st month which is almost R 1000)
That's for each day access.

Seeing as I will be playing games mostly what do you guys think? Is it worth it forking out R500 odd bucks a month for Isdn?

Thanks in Advance

P.S Cameron have you heard any news yet regarding why I have to get a new installation? Seeing as my existing line is still there?

Cookie
Asus Maximus Gene-Z / GEN3 | Intel i5 2500k | G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 8gb | Inno 3D GTX 580 | Silverstone TJ08-E | Corsair AX 850W | Samsung S23A950D 3D LED | Steelseries Diablo III Mouse & Headset | Steelseries 7G Keyboard | Corsair Force 3 GT 120gb
Storm

Post by Storm »

Just one warning with your sums concerning the calls.

I get disconnected every now and again, which means that ur R7 call is now more like R21 or more for every time.

It's not a windows problem, so it's either the ISP that bumps you, or my modem that is crappy.(I am with Mweb, 128K)

Just keep this in mind when working out your calls a month.

I am seriously considering going over to asdl, with the 3g cap and all cause at this stage it is going to work out cheaper.

IRC.NIXUS.ORG #PCFORMAT or GUNDAM.ETHEREAL.WEB.ZA
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

I doubt ISP's have anything to gain and everything to lose by bumping you off (I've worked for two, and they're quite annoyed when customers get disconnected).

Disconnections are usually due to one of four things:
1. Line noise (which doesn't even have to be at an audible frequency) - your modem then loses the carrier-signal and disconnects. Can be solved sometimes by using s10=254 as an initialisation-string.
2. Voltage-spikes - modems are very sensitive to line-voltage (by design) in order to protect themselves. Impossible to predict.
3. ISP - the Pop you dial could be faulty, but this is quite rare these days.
4. Faulty modem - self-explanatory. Try another modem.
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Fishzn

Re: ISDN

Post by Fishzn »

Cookiemonster wrote:
Installation R398 (ISDN 2)
Infinate Call Plan R51

Then Monhtly

ISP R99 (ABSA 64K Access)
Rental R180
Infinate Call Plan R51
Calls R160 (Every Night and Weekends)

Total : R 490 Monthly (except for the 1st month which is almost R 1000)
That's for each day access.

Cookie
Im interested in getting ISDN, but am i gonna have to fork out R500 rand for such limited usage?
So with ISDN, you are not connected permanently, but still have to dial-up like normal users, so the it has only speed and near-perfect transmission as its only advantages! As for the Infinit call plan, could somebody please explain it to me! As for the calls, approximatley how long are they so they cost you R160 at the end of the month
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Infiniti Calls are charged monthly at R44.49 + VAT = R 50.72

How Infiniti call works, you make a call to any telkom number during call more time. During the week, it is 7pm till 7am the folloing morning. Weekends from Friday 7pm till Monday 7am.

When you make the call, you pay 48c + VAT for call initiation, thereafter, once the inititation is completed which is equals to a period of time, approximaly 9 mins, you start to pay for you call per second. When you have reached the value of R7 for that call, the balance of your call becomes FREE! This period is about 50mins for R7 (local call). The second you terminate the call, you terminate the R7. When you make a new call, you initiate a new R7 plan call and start the process all over.

On ISDN, with a good line as should be else you must report it, a good ISDN modem, you should successfully hold a call for Internet from Friday 7pm till Monday 7am, 1 call, for R7!
I am who I am :D
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Here was my bill for last month:
ISDN BRA (ISDN 2a) R169.30
InfinitiCall R 44.49
Total calls for the period 27 Jul to 26 Aug R 100.23 (That is all weekend Internet and about 2x during the week)
Including VAT, my bill came to R 376.28
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

What about line rental from Telkom?
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Hey Fishzn
That IS the line rental.

Umm btw howcome your rental is so cheap? The amounts I got from teh website is deff than your billing and that's for 2a not even standalone ISDN 2.

:((((
Asus Maximus Gene-Z / GEN3 | Intel i5 2500k | G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 8gb | Inno 3D GTX 580 | Silverstone TJ08-E | Corsair AX 850W | Samsung S23A950D 3D LED | Steelseries Diablo III Mouse & Headset | Steelseries 7G Keyboard | Corsair Force 3 GT 120gb
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Oh, didn't know cookie but thanks, now don't you have to have an ISP as well, whats the best one now is SA?
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Cookiemonster wrote:Umm btw howcome your rental is so cheap?
Either I am lucky, or because I specified I am a residential subscriber. You have to specify you're a residential subscriber and want it for Internet use. Else they presume and slap you business tariffs. Anyone to back me on this?
brabham

Post by brabham »

shanewinter wrote:Here was my bill for last month:
InfinitiCall R 44.49
Total calls for the period 27 Jul to 26 Aug R 100.23 (That is all weekend Internet and about 2x during the week)
Including VAT, my bill came to R 376.28
I can confirm that and add that I have Telkom 64k ISDNInternet @ R109/month.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer