How do I move XP from slave-drive(D:) to master-drive(C:)?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
LobosBack

Post by LobosBack »

I used to dual-boot with server 2000 and windows xp professional. Now I changed the boot.ini file and have managed to delete server 2000 from C:, which is the primary master and on which the boot partition is located. I want to change my D-drive, which has XP on it and is the primary slave, and make it the primary master with the boot partition on it. I can think of a few things that I can do but I don't want to risk mucking up my XP installation with all the updates already installed. Does anybody have a clear idea of how I can do this.
Regards,
LobosBack
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

I guess if you don't get a reply soon, you're on your own. That ain't no easy task you want to tackle there. I have one or two ideas myself, by when it comes to NT operating systems, its a tough one to crack.

I would almost say, you'd be better off, backing up your data, etc. and reloading the OS, in both ways you win, cause you end up with a clean system again ;)
I am who I am :D
LobosBack

Post by LobosBack »

Hey Shanewinter,
Isn't there a way that I can burn a new XP installation disk from my current XP OS that will have all the updates once it's reinstalled? I seem to remember hearing or reading that somewhere.
Lobo
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

Sorry I dont know how you would keep your updates, I dont think you can burn it though!!
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Well, there is maybe one product you can try, I never tried it myself, but I do believe these guys go by there word... so, when you have a free weekend with nothing to do, try it out...

The product is Norton Ghost 2003
I am who I am :D
mac

Post by mac »

My 2-cents worth

Remove drive C:
Change jumper on D: to master
Boot with 98 start-up disk
Fdisk
Set Primary DOS partition active
Reboot
Put old C: back as slave

...I'm sure there are other ways...
LobosBack

Post by LobosBack »

FDISK won't work on NTFS :evil:
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

yeah what about Norton Ghost!
brabham

Post by brabham »

Norton ghost wont work cos it will copy your drive exactly as is with no boot partition.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

ok, then Why not find somebody with the same setup asd you want and copy there boot.ini file?
Hyperchild

Post by Hyperchild »

Try Partition Magic, I kinda did the same thing but on the same drive, Im not sure if it will work over 2 drives, otherwise place a win98 boot disk in the A drive run FDISK and set your active partition to 'NON-DOS PARTITION' this worked for me so it does work on NTFS Lobosback, Ive got XP home to duel boot with win98 with this method before I got hold of my boot.ini file
Quod non detit fortuna non eripuit aut amat aut odit: nil est tertium
brabham

Post by brabham »

Yes, and while you're at it, could you find me a heart donor?! :evil:
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer