Cd or DVD option.

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Yes Ill also still buy PCF, but lots of people wont buy it anymore, because not all have ADSL or IDSN. I also download mostly what I need.

Just think how big Cammies collection will be on DVD.
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Take the majority into consideration. Your average Joe doesn't have ADSL or a DVD, right? YES, right.

Now Joe here, wants and needs windows updates and serivice packs, Latest ATI/Nvidia drivers, antivirus updates etc.

Now here's where PCF comes in. They convert to the DVD option and Joe has a HUGE smile on his face 'cos he sticks in a DVD rom for R250 'cos he knows PCF can now put the latest drivers and updates on the HUGE DVD.

Now Joe is happy and stops considering to blow up Telkoms head office because ADSL won't be available till the year 2028. Because he doesn't need ADSL. PCF ame to the rescue.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

hehe i like your argument bio very nice just one problem i still would like to blow up telcoms office (tis a joke) :wink:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Anakha56 wrote:hehe i like your argument bio very nice just one problem i still would like to blow up telcoms office (tis a joke) :wink:
If you said that in the States, National Security would be knocking on your door in a few minutes. :D :lol:
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

hmmm.... maybe we should call the police... Anakha sounds dangerous... 8O
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

thatsw why i put in the end "tis a joke" cause i dont want the scorpions or some other bug knocking at my door. :lol:

im not dangerous im a sweet little innocent boy (where's the smily with a halo over his head) :lol:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

If it involves Telkom, The scorpions and police will turn a blind eye, or even offer their services :lol:
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

You don't perhaps live in a little log cabin somewhere in the woods?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

oh so i can have some ineffcient bug detectives plant explosives in the wrong area cause they didnt listen in the briefing :lol: the police would probably take an "un-planned" lunch break and will come plant the explosives once the building is gone :lol: i think im better off by myself :wink: Seriously these guys do do thier best to protect us respect to them.

I havent bought the latest PCF but since NAG are going DVD Route i will be renewing my subscription with them if it happens if it doesnt then no more subscription would rather buy from the stores, if PCF had to do the same i would still buy i dont mind either way.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

wit_skapie wrote:You don't perhaps live in a little log cabin somewhere in the woods?
nah it burned down, now i live in a concrete block with these annoying metal bugs that dont seem to die everytime i shoot @ them. :lol:
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Oh, and we don't need to worry about the authorities listening in or filtering out keywords because they too are using Telkom lines.
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

ok. AARGH. First of all let me tackle this one step at a time. Some of your questions are valid and I shall answer them here.

1. The cost of a DVD
Yes you can buy a DVD for R4. Sure you can. BUT that is not factoring mastering, printers and all sorts of additional costs. For us production of a single DVD is far more expensive than you can understand. So, Slasher and co, it isn't poor Kher-za making up prices, he's accepting our original quote from 2003 that factored in these costs. Now it would be about R60 a mag.

2. Conspiracy Theory
Neither NAG nor PCF are conspiring against you in the great DVD debate. NAG put forward the idea. Just because they didn't list every price and detail doesn't mean they haven't considered the costs. They are not a part of an international conspiracy to sell DVD drives and there is no discrepancy between our costs.

3. Patience
It may happen, it could happen but not just yet. Wait, young grasshoppers, with patience in your hearts.
HdB

Post by HdB »

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry for bugging you guys all the time
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ s939 | Gecube 3870 OC edition
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Thx Tamsini. That cleared some things up. :bigups:
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Tamsini wrote:young grasshoppers.
hehe were grasshoppers i wonder what yoda's going to do without his sheep :lol:

Thankx for the explanation and for youre patience (not sure of spelling).
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Isn't the PCF team the most tolerable bunch on earth. AND they give us hope.
Hey, at least we don't post these threads that irritate you guys on a monday. So you can still enjoy your weekend.
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

well we definitely are not irritated by this - just wish we could say more
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Do an article in the next PCF. How a cd is made to show the costs. and how a DVD would be made, explaining why the costs would go up by so much(estimates obviously).

Ok, I'm getting back onto a topic I shouldn't be. Sorry, so just take this a suggestion for an article in PCF. A day in the life of a PCF CD and or DVD.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Do an article in the next PCF. How a cd is made to show the costs. and how a DVD would be made, explaining why the costs would go up by so much(estimates obviously).

Ok, I'm getting back onto a topic I shouldn't be. Sorry, so just take this a suggestion for an article in PCF. A day in the life of a PCF CD and or DVD.
thats a cool suggestion, i for one would love to see an article like that. always wondered how these cds were done.
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Yeah, and another thought on reducing costs. Let the people involveed with creating the DVD's advertise themselves. I wouldn't mind a splash screen of the company to appear for 5 seconds while it loads. it's a win win situation.
Don't get all agro on me now. I'm not trying to push the DVD thing anymore. Your explanations were taken to heart and accepted. Just giving some suggestions.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Thank you Tamsini,

I point out however I only argue on point 1... Just to be on the safe side :D

Anyhow...

Now, lets say you guys buy DVD's by the 1000's, which u do, dont you? That means a DVD should cost about R3.00 ... Now, adding another R12 printing costs would bring the MAG's price at R50 ... The cover is already in the normal price, seeing as the DVD can go in the same pocket as the CD...

Im really not trying to be attacking, its just baffling that writing a DVD now would cost more than that of Writing a CD 3 years ago, when the PCF price was also R35...

Once again, no flame, just terribly interested... also, a DVD would be the one reason for me to buy the mag...

ATM, looking at the current months I must say id rather buy NAG (Horror's, I know), due to the fact that their cover disc is quite more aimed at gaming, (Even has the GTA 2 full game). I really prefer gaming to 30 different applications every month, but dislike NAG magazine, as it has a lot of PS & other console as well... Thats & a few factors were why I moved to PCF to start with...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Tamsini tells it like it is, a'ight! Holla!

Do you guys really need 3 gigs of game demos? Cammy battles to get two every month... now that means about 12. Can you imagine.
Anakha56 wrote:
Thankx for the explanation and for youre patience (not sure of spelling).
neon points to the shelf, there sits a boxed MS Office and then mentions to Anakha the words, "right-click" and "alt-tab". Both words are right anyway.

I'm all for keeping the price of mag as low as possible. R35 is freakin' expensive if you're a student with no extra job and have to plead with parents. Have to be nice to them, wash cars and clean the house, and wash dishes....
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

ne0n... I also work around the house, every weekend + during weekdays usually too... I bascially get R100 a month, from which I buy own airtime, any extra's and what not... even upgrade PC is self service...

However, the PCF mag rarely has 2 demos on these days... it contains tons of small applications (most freeware), has bascially no freeware game (3dNOT is NOT freeware gaming)...

I could easily fill a 4gb disc for 4 months running... Also, who stated it had to be full to the MAX?? Running 3gb a month would be more than sufficient...

EDIT --

Also, 3 years back, PCF also cost R35, included a CD that then cost more at least R5 even at cheap prices... Now, DVD's cost what a CD cost 3 years back, yet they cannot print/produce it at the same price? Has printing of CD's cost not gone down?
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Fear not, I have a solution for all of ye woes: No CD, No DVD, but 1000 1.44 stiffy disks, packed with the latest demos and apps!

Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Hee hee...