Running external program from HTML?

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Off-The-Chart

Running external program from HTML?

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Is it possible to create a webpage with a link on it that opens a program like windows explorer without giving you the dialog box that asks if you want to download or open it?
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Richard_

Re: Running external program from HTML?

Post by Richard_ »

Off-The-Chart wrote:Is it possible to create a webpage with a link on it that opens a program like windows explorer without giving you the dialog box that asks if you want to download or open it?
No, unfortunatly not. No, wait. That should be "fortunately not!!!" Just imagine, if that were possible.

Lets use an example. The program u wanna open is windows explorer. Explorer is an .exe file. So therefore, if it were possible to open executable programs without a prompt, imagine the chaos that would result! Every hacker, cracker, script kiddie, etc would be posting executables on websites that would run automatically without your knowledge, destroying your computer, or using it for malicious tasks. Windows is unstable and insecure enough as it is. Thank goodness for that tiny little security feature.
Mercadian

Post by Mercadian »

I'm looking for a way to to do this for a Updates CD I want to compile. Asking if you first want to save or open is abit annoying. I understand the security involved though and it is a good idea not to have that feature. But on that, is there any autorun creator that can do it or would I have to write a interface in VB or something myself? I would greatly appreciate any help.
.... Ahh yes, but is it art?
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Well you could create a little update program with VB or C++ that fetches the relevant files from you server and installs them. You can then create a Autorun file to run this program when the cd is inserted. Or you can just have the update files on the cd and let the program install from the cd which would actually be better because not everyone might be connected.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Mercadian wrote:I'm looking for a way to to do this for a Updates CD I want to compile. Asking if you first want to save or open is abit annoying. I understand the security involved though and it is a good idea not to have that feature. But on that, is there any autorun creator that can do it or would I have to write a interface in VB or something myself? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Well, there is another way. There's a program called AutoPlay Media Studio 5. Thing is... it aint freeware. The site to get it / buy it is http://www.indigorose.com/ams/ That's the official site. Another direct demo download is apparently http://www.soft32.com/download_18731.html. But if you're looking at developing something comercial, then its well worth the money to buy the program. Its really absolutely brilliant. It a "What U C Is What U Get" program and some of the features are:
Registry editing
Editing the startup routine of ur PC
Editing and creating of individual files on the computer
Playing of media files
Compiling the finished compilation as .exe

In other words its really good! Or, if you're into Flash, you could design an interface in Flash (like the PC Format cover cd) and use that.
Mercadian

Post by Mercadian »

Thanks Yoda And Creator. Will look into them.

I was actually thinking, maybe this would work better. How would I get IE to detect operating system type and what updates are installed/need to be instaleld then get it to install them from a CD without user intervention? Like the Windows Update site does.
.... Ahh yes, but is it art?
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

C, here is the thing I wanted to do... You know Windows' active desktop, right? Wanted to make a page with say a guy with a gun as a background and then maybe the gun would have a mouse over effect... I would hide all the desktop icons and then the gun would be the link to a program like windows explorer... Would this work with a javascript? This running an external program?
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G