How to spray paint a case??? PLEASE HELP!

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
dammod

How to spray paint a case??? PLEASE HELP!

Post by dammod »

Hey guys,

What is the best way for stoping spray paint from going where you don't want it to? U C, the case I am getting is white with a blue line running through the middle. I want to spray paint the blue line either silver or black (what colour do u think would look best?) and the rest of my case pure black. How do prevent spraying my window and the middle line once it is spray painted, while I am spray painting the rest of my case?
Carnajo

Post by Carnajo »

Create a mask and stick it over with masking tape. Once its off, touch up by brush.
dammod

Post by dammod »

At last...sum 1 answerd. thanx man ;-)
Dom

Post by Dom »

Carnajo wrote:Create a mask and stick it over with masking tape. Once its off, touch up by brush.
Sound advice.

dammod, I think it would look nicest to paint the blue line silver...
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
dammod

Post by dammod »

dom wrote:
Carnajo wrote:Create a mask and stick it over with masking tape. Once its off, touch up by brush.
Sound advice.

dammod, I think it would look nicest to paint the blue line silver...
Yeah, thanx for the advice dom. Silver it will be then. Would look nice too because my bedroom that the PC is going in has a kina moden feel, the walls are painted with a thick dark grey line around the room, then a silver thiner line. So yeah silver sounds good :-)
Knuckles
Processor: Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard: Gagabyte Z170-Gaming K3-CF
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Knuckles »

Hey Dammod,

Have U decided on the colour of ur case yet?

Black is the way to go! ( u dont have 2 clean it that often 8) )

Out with the blue & in with the silver!
Dr_Jung

Post by Dr_Jung »

I am sure there was a whole thing on painting your case in PCFormat. Will take a look tonight! However hopefully you have prepared well, and then some more. Much sanding and finishing off with glass paper. Then about five coats of undercoat, more glasspaper sanding. Can you not remove the window, if not, pity. Then mask as the guys say. Always better if you do not use a brush as it is difficult to get the same smooth finish as a spray gun or can. Remember to mask with paper masking tape where your stripe is to go because other wise if you spray on top of the black it will stand proud. You do not want that. Many, many coats of black and blue or silver. Stand outside in the Kleinzee sun (not you, the case) between coats, the paint must dry hard. Spray around five coats, then glass paper again, spray and sand. When you are happy, polish!
Easy is it not! :lol:
Last edited by Dr_Jung on 05 Nov 2004, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Trust me! I am a Doctor.
junjun

Post by junjun »

yip a lot of sanding and sum more sanding and sum more sanding then sum primer and sum more sanding then the paint
dammod

Post by dammod »

Wow thanx alot Dr_Jung!!! Very helpfull post! What sand paper, what should I ask for at the shop? *hope "The Spar" will have the correct type.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Is there anything that Dr. Jung cant help us with. Damn. That man knows everything. Great post.

Post some pics when you're done
dammod

Post by dammod »

maxxis wrote:
Post some pics when you're done
will do ;-)
Dr_Jung

Post by Dr_Jung »

Dammod, I hope the Spar keeps a good supply of paper! Not toilet either!
Glass paper, fine sanding paper, is numbered fom like 100 to 800 etc, this is the grade of how fine the paper is. It is also called "water paper", this is because you must immerse the sheet into a bowl of water before using! You would start with a around a 200 for first smoothing then after that use only the finest you can get! Remember, immerse in water! This lubricates the paint while "Flattening", cause this is what you are doing, not "sanding" as such! You flatten the surface to oftain a smooth surface, this is what makes the paint job. It is this which gives you that proffesional finish and high gloss! I know it sounds like a lot of work but it is really worth it. This is the process I use for the tank on my bike! You are luckier because you are using flat surfaces. Do not rub too hard or you will end up with bare metal again. Remember you want a flat, smooth surface. That is the reason for lots of coats!

Regarding Off-The-Chart's question, I would certainly paper the enamel with a courser water paper to roughen up the surface and remove high spots and any blemishing. Then primer and follow the instructions above. Regarding the plastic, A light water sanding to roughen up the surface to allow the paint to stick, and yes I would use primer, I always use primer! Primer helps with adhesion and also takes out the flats and fills any little pits and so on!

Regarding the polishing, you can use a soft polish like car polish or even Brasso. I would suggest that you try first on a piece of scrap that you have painted because you do not want to cut too deeply. This is tricky but the more coats you have the easier and better it looks!
Thank goodness you are not going metallic!
Last edited by Dr_Jung on 05 Nov 2004, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

Trust me! I am a Doctor.
dammod

Post by dammod »

THANX U SO MUCH! U r very helpful Dr_Jung :-)
LOL! Why what's with metalic?

I am getting my case on Monday so I'll probably post some pictures next week some time :-) I hope I do a good job.
Dr_Jung

Post by Dr_Jung »

It is a pleasure, my experience comes from other metal spraying applications but it applies to any metal surface! I use a pressure gun and airbrush, but lots of smoothing and paint coats.
Metallic requires all of the above and more, the finishing is done with a special laquer and if you mess up here you have to start all over again. Remeber though first practise on a piece of scrap to get your spray distance and volume correct, you do not want runs or "orange peel" effect or else, quess what? You have to start again! 8O

Almost forgot! Spray inside, no wind please! Wind is the spray killer and not enough drying, the smoothing killer!

Trust me! I am a Doctor.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Thanx Dr. Jung for the help... I am going to try it on my speaker covers and then maybe I'll post some pics... Is the brand I'm using ok or is there a better one? I know the Americans use that Duplicolor but I can't find that here...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Dr_Jung

Post by Dr_Jung »

I think that your brand should be fine!

Trust me! I am a Doctor.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one:
Step 1: Clean surface...
Step 2: Spray coat one...
Step 3: Sand lightly...
Step 4: Spray again...
Step 5: Sand again...
Step 6: Spray last coat...

Is this method right? If ne1 has sprayed their case could you please help me with which sand paper I must use? Tried it with my Dremel, ooooopppsss... Screwed up the panel...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G