ADSL costs slashed...

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
butterfly

ADSL costs slashed...

Post by butterfly »

I heard from a reliable contact that ADSL line rentals will be slashed down to R300 a month for home users....

Can anyone confirm this?

If this is so, then I am applying tomorrow for ADSL... :D

Now if they can just lift that 3Gig cap... :(
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

where did you hear this?

thats great news if that happens :) im currently debating whether to get adsl or just get isdn...hmmm :?
Now if they can just lift that 3Gig cap
there is a way around this particular problem, people that want more (ie:another 3GB) simply buy another account from telkom and you get 3gb extra so its 6gb for the month....not exactly a sollution but better than nothing 8)
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Got that info from a good friend.... (not saying anymore, I can't risk his job, just I kinda trust him)

I made a suggestion in "Ask Telkom that they lift the cap a little to 5 Gig, that is 1 Gig a weekend, and that they make more bandwidth available as a purchase option, like buying more airtime...

I used a little util/proggie, and checked one of my weekends, just a normal surfing weekend, the odd download, chat with messengers, etc. and I managed on average 900Kb a weekend.
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

Got that info from a good friend
ah say no more :wink:

i read on the telkom site (somewhere) that they are currently working on reshaping the bandwidth model (how the bandwidth is distributed) for powerusers (people that use file-sharing programs,download quite a bit,etc...people like me i guess :wink: )

and for this feature people will have to pay more :( on top of the standard monthly cost.
900Kb
uh do you mean megabytes? :?
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Yeah, you are right, thanks for pointing out my tying error, its megabytes :)

I want to add that I am currently on ISDN, and my fingers are iching to get onto something faster, but not so expensive. 8)
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

How much is ISDN costing you each month?
i mean 900MB isnt exactly small :P

im really considering getting ISDN...but im not sure... :? :? :?

(ps:do you go online internationally often?)
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

My line rental is R245 incl Infinty Call (R7) for ISDN

My calls are on average R300 p/m, this is including the odd phone call to friends.

My habits are at least once a week, normally on a Wednesday night, all night, some Mondays, else Tuesdays, getting email/price lists from my suppliers. And the Weekends, from Friday 7pm continuous connection till Monday 7am.
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

Thanks Shanewinter :)
it seems like its a better option to get ISDN.

Unless of course your "friend" might know when ADSL prices might be slashed? id hate to go get ISDN and the next day they announce cheap ADSL :?
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

That is why I would like anyone else to comment hear to verify what he said. Its been done already, but it has not been published, in otherwords, if you phone for pricing, you are going to get the old price.

I'd say, hold out a little weenzy longer, and maybe, just maybe, he is right :) I can't wait... hehe
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

i really,really :) hope hes right.

on another topic somewhere on the forum someone suggested dropping the prices and dropping the speed (right now its at 512 download and 256 upload) so im guessing if the the price is dropped theyl do something like drop it to 256kbps Download and 128kbps Upload

which wouldnt be so bad at all :)
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

I am not sure, he didn't mention anything about dropping speed, so I am guessing, for the better, that we are just going to see something a little more affordable for home use.

In my opinion, if poeple want more bandwidth to download everything from a to kazaa to z, then I think its fair they buy more bandwidth... what are your feelings on that suggestion?
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

now thats putting me between a rock and a hard place :)

but id have to say that yes i wouldnt mind paying a little extra for more bandwidth (although i did say a little extra :wink: )

if the prices of ADSL went down to 300 for average home users, then i wouldnt mind paying a little extra for more bandwidth, about 400 rand a month wouldnt be too bad.
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

The only thing I can say is that if Telkom sees the potential of the IT industry, opens up the gates to let everyone on, that is hearing all the remarks/opinions/etc from every corner.....

believe me, they will open the flood gates and will make a killing........

but the are not looking at tomorrow and what it can bring for them in their pockets, they are only worried about today!
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

but they are not looking at tomorrow and what it can bring for them in their pockets, they are only worried about today!
thats true :(

ah well hopefully the SecondNationalOperator when it comes online sometime down the year will help bring prices down.

i think that Telkom has been a monopoly far too long...just my honest opinion.
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

According to my contact/friend, the SecondNationalOperator should have been in place already...... and I believe its not going to be AT&T... :?
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

last i heard it was between some japanese company and a south african one :?
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Hawk21 wrote:last i heard it was between some japanese company and a south african one :?
Hmmm, another Telskums on its way into the making....... unless its Japanese ;)