Getting ISDN

Network problem solving and tweaks
mr_xtc

Post by mr_xtc »

ok.. glad I can help with something...

1. Isdn takes between 4-8 weeks to install .. so be patient
2. You are suppose to get 8k on 64 and 16k on 128.. NO exeptions because it is digital
3. If you do not get it, it is the site where you download from... use "internet download manager" It forces maximun speed because of maximum connections... and no corupted downloads..
4. Kazaa does not run at full speed because the people that you download from is slow...
5. Isdn does not make your game faster.. just loading and connecting... The ping is the magic thing.. (the amount of time the signal hops)
iow... reflexes is still slow... but game loads faster
6. If you get disconnected a lot get "connection keeper" I never get disconnected... only if my pc freezes...
7. And trust me... stay away from internal isdn modems... the best is usb isdn modem... again trust me... I had a huge debate and suicidle issues about this...
8. theory says that you will not pay more that R7 or R14 a day... but you always wanna check e-mail during the day, because you connect to internet in less than 3 sec... well you work out the truth..
9. I got absa and this is my bill: absa=R150 for 128k... isdn is R198 a month plus R7 call... and then your dail-up fees... it definitly cost more... but I will never go back to 56k modem... I wanna kick my pc if it runs less than 7k/s... (get "du meter" it makes you feel good if you can monitor the speed in real time..)
10. I get about 3gb in a weekend in downloads... (hooohaaaa!!)

what else did I forget???? 8O :lol: :P :wink:
mr_xtc

Post by mr_xtc »

oh yea!!!!
my kazaa is running between 1k and 16k.. depending if the files is found...
at this moment it is running at 15.3 for the past hour...
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Getting ISDN

Post by Azgard »

Thanks mr_xtc

Well I got a USB modem so all should be well. Should I use the cable that came with it or a normal UTP network cable? The guy at Incredible Connection said it will also work fine.

Where can I get a good download meter?

Well I hope Telkom doesn't take took long since I already sent an email o M-Web for them to cancell my account in one month cause I'm going to be using ABSA.
Boesman

Post by Boesman »

What are your prices? I am also looking at getting ISDN.
mr_xtc

Post by mr_xtc »

search google for "du meter" it works like a charm...
then get "online meter" to calculate your phonebill at the end of the month... this saves you lotsa money... i promise..
get isdn and those two software and we talk again about what alse is good... lolol
:idea:
Boesman

Post by Boesman »

MR XTC, what R your prices for ISDN, my dad is looking at getting it and knowing some good prices will help. :lol: :D
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Getting ISDN

Post by Azgard »

Boesman: Well I paid R800 for a Duxbury 128K ISDN USB Modem from Incredible Connection. The line rental per month for an ISDN2 line is R232 p/m including the R7 call option. I'm using ABSA 128K as ISP and it costs R150 a month. To convert my normal internet line to ISDN2 is R278.
I hope that helps.

mr_xtc: Will any of the online meters be able to calculate in Rands? and with the telkom R7 call option, with R14 for 128K. I haven't seen one yet that lets you choose from options like that.

Thanks
butterfly

Re: Getting ISDN

Post by butterfly »

Azgard wrote:Does anyone know exactly what Telkom does to the line when they convert it to ISDN? Because I have a 30m I think, extension cable from the phone jack to my PC in my room. I´m just wondering if ISDN will work over this extension, or do I need a new one or something?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks Guys
They bump up the voltage on the line from about 55V to 110V, hence you can not use normal analogue equipment on the line except through the ISDN Terminal Adapter (white box) that Telkom install on your premises.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

When I order my ISDN2 line from Telkom I asked them to convert one of my existing lines to ISDN. When they come to convert the line I'll need them to put a box closer to my PC. Will I have to pay them extra for this or not? What exactly do they do when they convert a line to ISDN2?

Thanks
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Hey guys,

I got my ISDN line today. A guy from Telkom came and installed the terminator at the end of my line extension that is in my room by my PC. :) So I'm up and running now and it works nice and fast.