Building a PC

Any hardware related topics go here.
lazyonion

Building a PC

Post by lazyonion »

I am thinking about spending about R8000 (The last bit of money in my bank account!) on building as good a PC as I can. Does anyone have any ideas as to which graphics card , CPU, CD Drive, Motherboard, case, screen, speakers etc. I could use?
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Oh come on allready. How many times do we need to do this. :x
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Belix

Post by Belix »

What you gonna be using it for? Games or work? If work, what work?
Here a quick link. Go read it :lol: http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2282
Only another 210,094 times YOda...
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Have a look through the Hardware Forum! You will find what you are looking for, very informative!
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Lots of sites like www.take2.co.za offer a "build your own pc" service, and updates the prices as you go on. Use that and see what your options are within your budget.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Lord_Sybrwulf

Post by Lord_Sybrwulf »

Why is it that rich ( . Y . ) with too much money to burn always want other people to make decisions for them. Read the reviews, ask questions about specific product comparisons. But for crying out loud stop asking people to choose your PCs for you :!:

It's you personal preference... next you'll be asking "What's the best Graphics card?" Or "Which is better, Ati or nVIDIA?"

Get off you a$$ and read older threads...it's all there

:roll:
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Easy there Lord_Sybrwulf. No need to flame. :!:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Lord_Sybrwulf

Post by Lord_Sybrwulf »

Y0da wrote:Easy there Lord_Sybrwulf. No need to flame. :!:
Sorry man...I just think it's lazy and thoughtless to have someone else design you PC for you. I figure it's a personal experience....

...I also get irritated when people don't look back at old thread, where the same question has been asked before.

Sorry for flaming...it out of character for me... :D
simmy

Post by simmy »

Lord_Sybrwulf wrote:Why is it that rich ( . Y . ) with too much money to burn always want other people to make decisions for them. Read the reviews, ask questions about specific product comparisons. But for crying out loud stop asking people to choose your PCs for you :!:

It's you personal preference... next you'll be asking "What's the best Graphics card?" Or "Which is better, Ati or nVIDIA?"

Cut this man a cheque :onfire: :mrgreen:

Oh yes, dont forget the copper screws/raisers :oops:
Lord_Sybrwulf

Post by Lord_Sybrwulf »

A cheque...for me... :?: :arrow: Why thank you... :D
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hello Lazyonion,
Send me a PM, I will forward you my Cell no, and I am willing to assist you. No, you don't have to buy a system from me, my advice is Free :)

If you are in Durbs, I can easily assist you in selecting the correct combo, whether it be Intel or AMD, in other Cities I can point you to experts who will gladly do the same.

Why? Because we love PC's, benching, everything that goes with it.

Have fun, PM me if you are interested. Oh yeah, no strings attached :)

Br,
MrBean.
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

I can vouch for Mr Bean, he really knows his stuff.

What are you looking to do with your system? Gaming? Beyond gaming, what is important to you? Noise levels? Size? Convenience? Looks? What else will you use your system for - ie, do you have any specific requirements? (some arb software, need for a TV tuner, etc etc)

What do you have so far? Do you have a monitor? Speakers? Operating system?

When are you likely to upgrade? Will you most likely upgrade every few months, or only after a year or two? How flexible is your budget :D?

Artag
Lord_Sybrwulf

Post by Lord_Sybrwulf »

Yup...Mr. Bean is super-nice...
lazyonion

Post by lazyonion »

Lord_Sybrwulf wrote:Why is it that rich ( . Y . ) with too much money to burn always want other people to make decisions for them. Read the reviews, ask questions about specific product comparisons. But for crying out loud stop asking people to choose your PCs for you :!:

Hey, I ain't no rich twit and I have done a lot of research, but I'm just looking for more ideas as there are so many different deals out there.
Lord_Sybrwulf

Post by Lord_Sybrwulf »

This is going to get nasty. I'm locking this thread. - Y0da