Game Developer troll pirates...

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Game Developer troll pirates...

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/04/g ... -medicine/
Game Dev Tycoon developers give pirates a taste of their own medicine
"Cracked" version uses in-game "piracy" to limit progress—with hilarious results.

Over the years, game developers have gone to great lengths to prevent players from pirating their games, from physical paper wheels to intrusive DRM. Other developers don't block piracy outright but instead attempt to shame or inhibit pirates by coding disruptive "features" that activate when a cracked version is detected. The developers at Greenheart Games took the second tack for their new title Game Dev Tycoon, but they did so in what has to be the most hilarious way we've ever seen.

On the Greenheart Games blog, developer Patrick Klug details how he intentionally seeded a "pirated" version of Game Dev Tycoon at the very moment that the title went up on the developer's store yesterday. This illicit version plays exactly like the official paid version for the first few hours, letting players control a miniature game development studio trying to release successful titles in a simulated marketplace.

After a while, though, those playing the pirated version will be confronted with a message that, as Klug puts it, takes "the unique opportunity of holding a mirror in front of them and showing them what piracy can do to game developers."
Boss, it seems that while many players play our new game, they steal it by downloading a cracked version rather than buying it legally. If players don’t buy the games they like, we will sooner or later go bankrupt.
Follow the link for further reading.

The above article has also raised further questions about the practice:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/p ... rce=feedly
Piracy or baiting? The thorny legal question of Game Dev Tycoon’s honeypot
Is it piracy just because the user thinks it is? What if the developer encourages it?

Earlier this week, the developers at Greenheart Games distributed a crippled version of its new game Game Dev Tycoon disguised as a "cracked" version of the full game. The little Internet experiment served as an ironic and humorous poke at software pirates and a smart way to call attention to the challenges indie developers face with piracy.

But the whole incident also stirred up a tricky legal and ethical debate among commenters and editors here at Ars Technica regarding the actual nature of piracy. The basic question is this: can the people who downloaded the crippled version of Game Dev Tycoon, thinking it was a "cracked" version, really be considered pirates?

As a moral question, it's pretty cut and dried as far as we're concerned. The version of the game that Greenheart Games posted on torrent sharing sites came with a description that said the file was a "FULL VERSION... CRACKED AND WORKING!" Whatever the other facts in the case, the downloaders who saw that description obviously intended to download a free, unlocked version of Greenheart's game rather than paying for it. Morally, that's piracy.

Legally, though, it's another matter. To be guilty of copyright infringement, you need to obtain the software without the permission of the copyright holder. In this case, Greenheart was the one that originally put the "cracked" version of the game on BitTorrent and promoted it on P2P sites. Yes, the developer was doing it to prove a point, so it seems unlikely it will actually pursue any damages from the "pirates" it thwarted with the crippled game (UPDATE: Greenheart Games' Patrick Klug told Ars Technica directly that "it was never our intention to pursue any legal action against those people who downloaded the cracked version"). Still, if it wanted to sue any downloaders, would it even have a theoretical case?

Follow the link for further reading.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Game Developer troll pirates...

Post by StarBound »

In this case I think it served its purpose. I still look back to my more ignorant days where the difference between a legal version and a copied version was a bit more money than I had where the full copied game would be a demo for my purchase decision. So if you play a game for an hour then its a demo unless the game is only an hour long.

The thing we are lacking these days are the demos that comes out a month prior to the games. Alternatively we can wait for the US reviews and buy the thing before the EU release.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

speaking of trolling pirates doesn't max payne on steam use a crack to work?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Game Dev Tycoon... letting players control a miniature game development studio trying to release successful titles in a simulated marketplace
Really? I mean really? Who would play this? Who would even go far as long want buy this?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hman wrote:Who would play this?
clearly you've never met one of those delightful humans who have sunk real currency into farmville... on farcebook...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:
Hman wrote:Who would play this?
clearly you've never met one of those delightful humans who have sunk real currency into farmville... on farcebook...
I'm happy to say no.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers