Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Quick fix for HDD with RAW partition?

Post by Anakha56 »

Other than deleting and recreating ;).

So long story short my external Western Digital Elements drive started dying on use. Using the enclosure it would work for a few minutes and then stop and then after awhile Windows refuses to see it anymore. Tried a different external enclosure and same result however I suspect that one cannot read drives larger than 1TB. So on a suggestion from puppy I plugged the drive into my PC and booted and now Windows is detecting that the partition is in RAW state, now I would love to get my data off the drive so is there a quick and easy way to rebuild the partition table? Or a easy way to get the data back?

So yeah any help please?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Re: Quick fix for HDD with RAW partition?

Post by SykomantiS »

Not so sure about getting the partition back, but there are recovery programs that can get the data back. Hiren's boot CD has some programs but last I heard that's not strictly legal, so moderate this post if necessary.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Isn't there some programs that will allow to find files even on a different file system drive?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

So quick update, disk is poked. I used testdisk to recover all my information, wrote a fixed partition table to the drive which did not work. I then did a format on the drive, which completed successfully however when I ran a chkdsk /f /r it reported issues with the MFT. So I did format with Western Digital tools and it was being reported as failing. So lesson in all this? Do not buy Western Digital Elements USB drives because they have a high failure rate. On the by & by when I took the drive out the enclosure it comes with the standard "Do not cover drive holes" warning and guess what? All drive holes are covered so yeah WD maybe read your own warning label, just a thought...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.