Microsoft Sisewinder keyboard.

Any hardware related topics go here.
jphegers

Microsoft Sisewinder keyboard.

Post by jphegers »

I bought a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard in November 2011 and after three months all the most frequently used keys the letters rubbed off leaving just red dots and although the keyboard carries a 12 month guarantee the place where i purchased it from would not swap it out( BT Games) so i contacted Microsoft who replaced the keyboard with a X4 keyboard as the X6 boards were discontinued and now after three and a half months i am sitting with the same problem. So is there maybe someone who can suggest another make of Keyboard that i could purchase that will not have similar problems with the keys?
I need a keyboard with back lighting as i suffer from bad eyesight that is not too expensive and whose keys are more durable.
naughty

Re: Microsoft Sisewinder keyboard.

Post by naughty »

if you say that microsoft keyboards are pathetic i have no choice but to agree - the last one i bought lasted all of one week before it stopped working ..... i was so disgusted i threw it a wall and ruined any chance of returning it though mine would have been considerably cheaper but i definitely feel your pain
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

I have to agree too. I was out looking for a new mouse not too long ago and came across a Microsoft sidewinder X5. Oh man was it plasticy but even worse than that was the fact that for half the price I could get something that was far better made and had a higher dpi laser.I did have one of their keyboards, was just as plasticy and flimsy. The key letters also wore off after a few moths so I tossed it and got a Logitech which I have had for a year now, and non of the letters are even showing signs of wearing off....more comfortable too

Other thing i dislike about the sidewinder keyboards is that the keys are pretty noisy and and feel rather stiff.

But here are some alternatives:

http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/produc ... s_id=17709
http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/produc ... s_id=52637
http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/produc ... s_id=54325
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Just for interests sake; I'm using a Genius kb I bought in 2005 for R250, the keys are still the same as when I bought it. That just shows that buying cheap isn't always buying twice.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

But it is a Genius and not some no name R45 thing.

It seems that buying MS is buying twice :lol:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

To answer the question originally posted, my choices would be:

Razer Arctosa (~R500)
Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (~R860)
Logitech G110 (~R900)

The Arctosa is probably your best best if you're on a tight budget and don't care about extra fiddly bits, while I threw in the Logitech due to its backlighting being customisable (given that you mention that you have poor eyesight, this could be a deal-maker for you). For comparison purposes, I threw in a mechanical keyboard as well; while I've never used one, a lot of folks swear by them.

Prices mentioned are approximate; I suggest you shop around a bit. In my experience though, I wouldn't touch Sybaritic with a ten-foot bargepole (and anyone who has ever a) dealt with a delayed order or b) has had to return something to them will back me up on this one).
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes sybaritic, have had a somewhat bad experience with them before :?

Was just using them for pricing but Rebeltech seem ok so maybe have a look there :wink: the razer and the Logitech seem like a decent choice though :wink: