Stereoscopic Gaming

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Stereoscopic Gaming

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

So it seems many people would say that stereoscopic 3D is gimmicky, but I have to admit - I quite like the effect. I recently purchased an LG D2342P-PN which is a 23 inch passive 3d monitor, meaning you don't need expensive active shutter glasses that most 3d tv's and monitors use.

So far I am really enjoying it. In my experience the best games in stereoscopic 3D are Mass Effect 3 (it does have a few minor issues and glitches when running in 3d but nothing too serious.), also Skyrim, Crysis 2, Mirror's Edge and Borderlands look amazing.

One of the gripes about passive stereoscopic 3d is that it effectively halves your resolution, but I can't say that I have noticed any drop in res or detail other than seeing some fine interlacing on screen.

So are there any other PCF forumites who have 3D tv's or monitors at home? Which games are really impressive in stereoscopic 3D in your opinion?

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Stereoscopic Gaming

Post by StarBound »

I've got a Samsung S23A950D monitor for 120hz that has active shutters and a 40" samsung 3D TV. My opinion is after seeing both active and passive in action that despite the better detail in active it is not worth it. I would rather go with passive and ignore the flicker.

Waiting for the LG 55" 3DTVs to come down in size so I can make the purchase.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.