Problems with Logitech Z-2300

Any hardware related topics go here.
SykomantiS

Problems with Logitech Z-2300

Post by SykomantiS »

Hi guys.
I'm not sure if this should rather be in the For Sale section (please move it if it should)

So here's my problem.
The wired remote control on my Logitech Z-2300 system is failing. The left channel is basically dead, exept on very specific volume levels (most notably when close to its maximum volume) and when adjusting the volume, a lot of scratching and noise can be heard coming from the left channel. Now I've already swapped the speakers so I know they're working fine- this is a remote issue. I've done some searching and it seems it's a fairly common issue with these systems. Now some more problems- I bought this set in Europe in 2009 so it's out of warranty. From what I have found on the net it seems that Logitech doesn't sell replacement parts, at all. Which SUCKS, so I couldn't buy a new remote if I wanted to- I haven't communicated with Logitech directly yet, reason being I's still trying to find the freaking part number on the sound system in order to log a call- will do that as soon as I can find the bloody part number (there are 3 numbers they require- the part number, PID and model number- I've located 2 of them).

Basically I'm left with 2 choices:
1) Try find a second-hand controller from someone who has a working one and who is willing to part ways with it
2) Build a new one from schematics found on the web. I'm trying to avoid this as I'm not confident in my own abilities to build a working unit. (I do have a friend or two that can do it, and this will be a last resort though)

So, if anyone does have one of these they're willing to part with, or know where I can get my hands on one, please do let me know.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Problems with Logitech Z-2300

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Option number 3
Trash the current set and get a brand spanking new one ::
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I have a creative 5.1- I'm too lazy to reinstall the surround sound setup, I don't have the amp to sound card wiring (using it in the living room), I don't have money for another 2.1 system and I don't see why I have to shell out another 2 grand for a whole new system when instead I only need a single component that (in an ideal world at least) should be cheap and easily replaceable.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

The controller for my Z-5500 set, should I replace it, will cost me in the region of R3000. And that is if and when they have stock. Getting a new set will last you longer and might actually work out cheaper than you think if you shop around. Also you don't have to get the best of the best when it comes to 2.1 since you already have your uber 5.1 set.

Alternatively you can also do what I did.... get yourself a decent set of earphones.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Replace the potentiometer?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

RRF, the problem is that the Z-2300 is discontinued, so I doubt, I'll be able to get a replacement set anyway. ANd then there's the little problem of them not selling replacement parts.

@Hman, will look into it, though I've heard it's the stuff around the potentiometer that dies (doesn't make sense but yeah... I'm not exactly an expert in the field)
Hman

Post by Hman »

Maybe you could give it to samaya or one of the other electronic gods around here to fix it for you?

Hman

Post by Hman »

According to what I see on this page the remotes are very simple and the only thing that can go wrong are the pots. Change them with 10k units.

Also the replacement unit on that page looks simple enough to make.

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yeah, saw that- it's what I was referring to in building a new one as a last resort. But thanks. It seems that I'll have to go that route- at least trying to replace the pots first at any rate. :?
Hman

Post by Hman »

You could open the offending pots up and clean them with an earbud dipped in alcohol. That might help.