S-Video over LAN ???

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: S-Video over LAN ???

Post by KALSTER »

doo_much wrote:Kalster - that's why Synthia gets paid the big bucks! ;)
Haha, ok, and why I don't.

How about this: http://www.techsmart.co.za/hardware/net ... eview.html

"The WD Livewire adapters resembles old school four-port hubs and is at first glance quite an unremarkable device. An on/off power button and a sync button is present, which when pressed within two minutes of each other will create a private network, secure from other AV Powerline users in the area who might accidentally (or not so accidentally) tap into your local network. But it isn't in the aesthetic department where the WD Livewire is most needed, it's a networking product and as such does this job well"

This in combination with the first images I posted maybe?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

This is getting pretty far just to mirror one freaking screen. The reason I can't put another workstation in on a wireless network involves upgrading software licenses to support another workstation but now it seems it's the easiest option.

Wireless link to the workstation, upgrade license and take away all privileges so that they can just view.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Looks interesting - and no, it's totally different from those first converters you posted.

If I read this right it create an IP network via your existing power network?

Me not like...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

doo_much wrote:Looks interesting - and no, it's totally different from those first converters you posted.

Me not like...
The powerline network looks pretty cool, with speeds of up to 200Mbps attainable. Reading a bit further though, those first baluns is for point to point transmission over CAT-5 cable only and can't be sent over ethernet.
The reason I can't put another workstation in on a wireless network involves upgrading software licenses to support another workstation but now it seems it's the easiest option.

Wireless link to the workstation, upgrade license and take away all privileges so that they can just view.
Would a license upgrade be very expensive or something?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I'm not sure about the costs of the license upgrade. I don't work with the pricing. So I'll put it through and they can decide if they want it or not.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

KALSTER wrote:
doo_much wrote:Looks interesting - and no, it's totally different from those first converters you posted.

Me not like...
The powerline network looks pretty cool, with speeds of up to 200Mbps attainable. Reading a bit further though, those first baluns is for point to point transmission over CAT-5 cable only and can't be sent over ethernet.
The reason I can't put another workstation in on a wireless network involves upgrading software licenses to support another workstation but now it seems it's the easiest option.

Would a license upgrade be very expensive or something?
Kalster, I read up on those those powerline jobbies and I'm even less keen on using them.

First off - they only work if the two points where they are connected are on the same 'portion' of your electrical grid. If there's a DB board inbetween somewhere they don't work.
Also, you are introducing another avenue for power spikes to enter your video network. And contending with lightning is bad enough. Imagine what happens in an industrial setup where equipment that uses a lot of electricity starts and stops all the time. Not good.

However. It looks like a cool toy to use at home or maybe as an emergency stopper-gap.
And anyway - it doesn't solve Synthesis' problem, this just vreates another IP network. Which he has?

Long-term, professional installation? Use a decent IP video server and chuck it onto a network if you can't run cable to view it.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey