CAT 5e Connectors

Any hardware related topics go here.
doo_much

CAT 5e Connectors

Post by doo_much »

Help please.

I was just informed that in order to 'properly terminate' a CAT5e stranded cable, we would need to use 'special' connectors - not the ones I've been using for yonks on solid core cable.

Fact or fiction? I haven't seen one of these 'special' conncetors but needless to say they're a bit more expensive...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Re: CAT 5e Connectors

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Hehehe

A proper CAT5e Connector is waaay easy to splice. It has clips and it trims the cable on its own. All you have to do is basically seperate the wires and put them into the correct places (all colour coded for your) and snap the lid shut. No shrinking tools needed any more :)

Best bet is to phone ADC Krone and find out.

AFAIK. you actually get two types of CAT5e (Stranded, Solid Core) where the data rates a Solid Core can obtain is higher than the Stranded. Also the Stranded is not used for backbone infrastructure (wall points) but rather for flylead (the cable from the wall socket to the PC)
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Picture of said connector (or both then)? Because I know of exactly one type of connector and this is the first I've heard of it :?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

@ Syko - You're talking about the normal modular crimp connectors I think. Which is what I know and use.

@RRF - I've use punch down jacks - never plugs. Sounds expensive though?
And yes - we're talking about a whole gamut of flyleads here. Although data throughput in my access control environment isn't normally an issue we've been finding more and more that people start using our little LANs for CCTV - which then makes it an issue.

I think I should swing by Compu Cable Projects in Hatfield and have a chat with them...

*edit

Spelling fix
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I have never used one personally and I have seen one used once by my Uncle who works for Krone. And yes I would expect them to be rather expensive.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I have never used one personally and I have seen one used once by my Uncle who works for Krone. And yes I would expect them to be rather expensive.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932