Using Ps3 joypad on PC

Any software related topics go in here.
AgilePeanut

Using Ps3 joypad on PC

Post by AgilePeanut »

Hi.

A few issues back of pc format there was an artical about various joypads available for pc. It mentioned using a ps3 controller and mentioned which software to use. For the life of me I can't find that artical or remember what software they recommended. Does anyone know? All the drivers that I have downloaded have been rubbish or fake.

Thanks
rustypup

Re: Using Ps3 joypad on PC

Post by rustypup »

>/dev/null

i heard you had to sacrifice a juvenile delinquent goat outside of sony headquarters while chanting a selection of extracts from the malleus maleficarum...

the first bit could be substituted with a kidney donation or randomly duping threads on forums...

the motion in joy nonsense comes highly recommended by console jerks the world over... ie, the least discerning/critical market around.

relevant advice nugget: don't do it. it's going to end in tears.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87iLvk5PjA

But why :?:

Xbox360 controllers work with no haxx0ring and are just as functional
AgilePeanut

Post by AgilePeanut »

jamin_za wrote:
But why :?:

Xbox360 controllers work with no haxx0ring and are just as functional
Thanks. I already have 2 xbox controllers but both came with my xbox, so they did not come with the usb wireless adapter needed to use them on pc. Thus I need to buy another xbox joypad to get the wireless adapter (they don't sell them separately). Ps3 controllers can just plug in the usb straight away.

The video u shared has a link for using motionjoy. I've already tried it and its rubbish. Analog sticks don't work and when you restart it stops working completly
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/search/xbox+3 ... or+windows

But come on, IIRC Logitech make a decent PS3 controller knockoff called the Rumblepad or something, or you can buy a cheap but functional generic one at any PC shop.

AFAIK no-one has made a concerted effort to port the PS3 controller to Windows. You'd probably have more luck porting it to 'nix - not that you'd be able to do anything with it there...

Maybe one of the PCF staffers will read this eventually and have a look thru their back catalogue for that article...
senile

Post by senile »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe PS3 controllers use the USB port for charging only. So yes they can charge from your PC but you need some sort of wireless interface to actually use it?
AgilePeanut

Post by AgilePeanut »

I've seen the ps3 joypad being used at rage b4. Plus pc format even had an artical on using it so I know it can be done. I do not want to go out and spend money on a controller for my pc if I have a controller that works perfectly but just needs drivers.
AgilePeanut

Post by AgilePeanut »

senile wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe PS3 controllers use the USB port for charging only. So yes they can charge from your PC but you need some sort of wireless interface to actually use it?
The xbox controller uses usb for charging only. The ps3 does have communication through its usb
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

AgilePeanut wrote:I do not want to go out and spend money on a controller for my pc if I have a controller that works perfectly but just needs drivers.
you already have one which offers infinitely superior response times and absolutely zero set-up hassle... why go this route at all?

just curious...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Hi AgilePeanut

You might want to try this driver