Choice of mobo...

Any hardware related topics go here.
GrimStoner

Choice of mobo...

Post by GrimStoner »

It has recently been brought to my attention that my desktop technology has been "lagging"... And have thus decided upon a rather timely (Christmas) upgrade...

My q ... What mobo? Prospecting the AMD 64 range, my obvious choice was Gigabyte. Not just because they are relatively cheap, but also from the good service I got from my current one, the 7VT600-L. It has survived a good few thunderstorms and even a failed PSU modding attempt.

My mindset was always that the mobo just ties everything together, thus I require the bare minimum in a mobo just to satisfy the hunger of my other hardware, i.e. DDR400, SATA.

I know gigabyte aren't the only contenders, but I do not know all the various mobo brands and their pros and cons.

Suggestions?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Get either nForce3 now or nForce4 later if your willing to wait a mth or 2.

Gigabyte is good. Might wanna consider MSI, ABIT & ASUS also.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

GrimStoner wrote:My q ... What mobo? Prospecting the AMD 64 range, my obvious choice was Gigabyte. Not just because they are relatively cheap,
Anything Gigabyte is expensive, you're paying for the name. They are not cheap but do offer good quality, not as good as some other makes though. Like MSI, DFI, Asus and Abit.
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

Also...

I have used since the conception of my new computer (Barton 2800+, 7VT600-L) traversed the whole hsf desert. Yes, desert. As this is about the the temperature at which my cpu ran. I have used the generic AMD one, the Thermaltake Volcano 7, and just recently invested in the Cooler Master Jet 7, which was particularly well spoken of by a certain computer store's attendant, promising of sub-zero temperatures and noise levels so low, you could hear mice fart.

However (as viable as this may sound, given this excellent review by a particular store's attendant), it fails to keep my CPU at a level below 55'C. Heavy loads... 64'C.

What good CPU coolers are available, without resorting to water cooling or phase changing?
dammod

Post by dammod »

I really love my mobo!! Get an ABIT u won't be sorry ;-) I know they r a bit pricy but it's worth it. (lucky me, i won mine :-) )
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

(lucky me, i won mine
Lucky indeed. You bugger. :wink: :lol:
The_RecruiT

Post by The_RecruiT »

Hey

Definitely have a look at the new DFI UT 250 GB Mobo (Socket 754) :D

Excellent overclocking ability and great performance. There's an in-depth review on http://www.anandtech.com about it.

Cheers
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

MSI K8T Neo, it has excellent performance, Good Price, although the drivers for that board is a lil dodgy.

But...I think the best would have to be the Asus K8V Deluxe K8T800 Motherboard. Good chipset, great performance, Easy to use (put together) and I think the price is pretty good too.
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

ABIT!!!!
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
Belix

Post by Belix »

ASUS!!!!
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hi Grimstoner,
Ok, having owned and overclocked Abit, Asus, Gigabyte and DFI, I would reckon the best board at a very competitive price now would be the nForce 3 250 board from DFI, the UT-250GB.

I doubt you will find a better board, I even credited my 2 day old Gigabyte K8NSNXP at Rectron after receiving the DFI..cost less than 1/2 the price of the Gigabyte! And it outperforms the Gigabyte by miles.

Your decision, but yeah, this board is not sitting on top of the world benching scene for nothing...together with it's Intel counterpart, the DFI 875P-T they are extremely good boards - why?

Well, a while back, the top board designer at Abit, Oscar Wu, left Abit and teamed up with DFI....and the 875P-T (Intel) and UT 250GB (AMD) are results of his engineering prowess... I own both these boards, and have to say they are some of the best I have ever owned.

Simple decision really :)

Br,
MrBean.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

God has spoken!

I would have to agree with MrBean(god). I've heard alot about the DFI mobos lately and never anything bad.
Booswig

Post by Booswig »

Who stocks the DFi Motherboards in SA, who are the dealers ?
I\'m a right-wing, democratic, conservative Christian who thinks the spotted owl tastes like chicken.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

Booswig wrote:Who stocks the DFi Motherboards in SA, who are the dealers ?
Axiz
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

MrBean wrote:Hi Grimstoner,
Ok, having owned and overclocked Abit, Asus, Gigabyte and DFI, I would reckon the best board at a very competitive price now would be the nForce 3 250 board from DFI, the UT-250GB.

I doubt you will find a better board, I even credited my 2 day old Gigabyte K8NSNXP at Rectron after receiving the DFI..cost less than 1/2 the price of the Gigabyte! And it outperforms the Gigabyte by miles.

Your decision, but yeah, this board is not sitting on top of the world benching scene for nothing...together with it's Intel counterpart, the DFI 875P-T they are extremely good boards - why?

Well, a while back, the top board designer at Abit, Oscar Wu, left Abit and teamed up with DFI....and the 875P-T (Intel) and UT 250GB (AMD) are results of his engineering prowess... I own both these boards, and have to say they are some of the best I have ever owned.

Simple decision really :)

Br,
MrBean.
what board for 939 socket :?:
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

I know at the moment DFI is still working on their socket 939 board, won't be available for a while still. Not sure of any other good 939 boards.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

:cry:

when will the dfi lanparty 939 be launched?
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Not really sure, probably sometime in the first half of next year :(
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

That long :cry: