Windows 7 64bit and monitor signal issues

Any hardware related topics go here.
Jonboy

Windows 7 64bit and monitor signal issues

Post by Jonboy »

Been having some strange issues with Win 7 and my screen. A while ago, I had my PC on and got side-tracked with another chore. Came back and my monitor had gone black although the power indicator was blue (on and receiving signal) as opposed to orange (standby, after pressing power button).

The problem is that after rebooting, my screen stayed in that perpetual blue light / black screen state even though I could hear the welcome to windows chime. Managed to shut down and went out for the evening, when I got back, all booted as normal, screen came on normally etc except for the fact that brightness and contrast had been reset to 0.

Spent an evening playing Skyrim, shut down, and since the next morning, it keeps having the same issue, boots to Windows (can tell by chime) but screen is staying black with a blue light. Also won't turn off to standby when I press the power button. Tried plugging the connector to my lappie output and still no joy, which tells me the issue is probably with the screen, but would hate to fork out R2000k plus and the screen isn't the issue.

Replacement screen if need be: Samsung B2330H - 23 Inch Wide LCD Monitor - 70000:1 Contrast, any thoughts?
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Windows 7 64bit and monitor signal issues

Post by hamin_aus »

What I'd do:

Try the suspect screen on another PC - you've already tried it on your laptop, so we can check this one off :)
Try another screen on the same PC
Check the warranty status of my screen
RMA it if I can, replace it otherwise
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

jamin_za wrote:What I'd do:

Try the suspect screen on another PC - you've already tried it on your laptop, so we can check this one off :)
Try another screen on the same PC
Check the warranty status of my screen
RMA it if I can, replace it otherwise
Going to try point two, borrow the screen from my office dock for the evening and try it out. If that works fine, I'll have to purchase new because the ol' LG was like the first 22" LCD ever made and has served me well for a few years, still only has DVI / D-Sub connector and 1680x1050 res :roll: So might be worth it for a new one, just will be eating into my living room home theatre Dec upgrade budget, lol.

Strange thing is it did this once before about six months back and then never did it again, hope it's not an AMD driver issue or some glitch with Windows, did read about several issues regarding Win 7 and sleep / hibernation
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Only issue I've seen with Win7 sleep is that on some older hardware the "Wake on LAN" feature doesn't work.
Might be worth a graphics card driver upgrade just to be sure, but it does sound like your screen is done
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Funny you should post this. On saturday I put my computer in hibernation mode (everything as normal), but after a few hours the screen had turned on with the "Check cable" message even though the computer was off. :? First time I encountered this. I have a Samsung screen though.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Same problem with XP on Friday/Saturday. Samsung screen.

Coincidence?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

WEIRD! My bro had the same kinda problem with his pc on Friday. the computer appears to be running alright but the screen wouldnt come on, I unplug the VGA and only then does the screen come on.

Back to topic though it sounds like the screen. Someone else on the forum had the same kinda problem a while back but we weren't sure what was wrong, let's first see if its the screen or the computer before jumping to conclusions:)
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

So last night I plugged another screen in and all was fine (although Windows is asking me to activate again?). So seems to be the screen, will spring for a new one and hope for the best. 3 years does seem like a very short lifespan for a screen though.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]