Point of View Graphics cards

Any hardware related topics go here.
MorneDJ

Point of View Graphics cards

Post by MorneDJ »

Hi,

I am in the process of finalising my annual PC upgrade. I have selected the i5-2500 as the best bang for buck, I normally stick to the Intel boards and will drop in 16 GB of ram. I received a relative good cost for the Point of View GTX560TI 2048MB card, but since I am not familiar with the brand I am just wondering. Anyone know these cards or should I stick to ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte etc.

Could not really find alot of reviews of their products in the net (yes, I did Google first P)

Regards
I'm a right-wing, democratic, conservative environmentalist that thinks the spotted owl tastes like chicken...
Jonboy

Re: Point of View Graphics cards

Post by Jonboy »

In this day and age, all the boards for a particular model by none of the "known" brands are based on the reference boards that will serve you just as well as the more expensive "name brand" ones. It's usually Gigabyte, MSI etc., that get rights to add in factory overclocks etc, so unless you're specifically looking for that, just save the money and go for the Point of View.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

And just one question, unless your PC is being used to drive a home-made CERN super collider, 16Gb of RAM is overkill (4Gb is usually more than enough for gaming unless you intend on adding a 46" monitor), you'll get much better performance out of 4Gb and put the money saved towards an SSD for your OS and games.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The first thing to look at with GFX cards is basically the warranty. As Jonboy said, they will all pretty much be of good quality. +1 or the RAM, though I'd suggest 8GB to allow some leeway for when you have a bunch of other programs open during gaming, especially browsers.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
MorneDJ

Post by MorneDJ »

lol. Ram is cheap, I have 2x 24" monitors but I mainly play Warcraft III (Dota), perhaps 5 hours a week. I actually use my PC for work and I frequently have a number of powerhog programmes open, sometimes photoshop with a 1 or 2 GB image or 10, GoogleEarth Pro, a few excell spreadsheets, one or two Access files with a massive imbedded Applications model (I do 3D nosie propagation modelling), two or more word files and a few other applications. I actually have my page file on a dedicated SSD drive. It is 4 GB (I have 4 GB ram now), of which 2.5GB is used (now), but I have seen it using 4 GB. My PC actually stalls at times and I just press reset :P (after saving and closing most applications). Using system monitor my average pages/sec reading is 450 - 700, and the maximum being 18,956 pages a second. Lets see if I can give it enough ram.
I'm a right-wing, democratic, conservative environmentalist that thinks the spotted owl tastes like chicken...
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Never heard of that brand before! Everyone has covered all the important points, so I'll just throw in my 2 cents. Manufacturers get gpus from Nvidia and AMD, and they just put on their own stickers and software bundles etc. They normally have that big box cooler on top, these are reference designs. Then you get gpus that have been changed, including the PCB, they add and remove parts to make things cheaper, and throw on their own aftermarket coolers etc. These are non reference designs. Generally non reference cards have the VRM removed to save on costs, and that stops you from overvolting. Which is bad for overclockers.
So the point of the story is, if it has a big original cooler, then its probably a reference design. Meaning its exactly the same gpu as another "good brand"
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I think they do use their own caps and such, but as far as I am aware, they all use solid state caps these days.

PS: I have a Force3D card, which is also not one of the bigger brands and it has been faultless since I got it 2 years ago.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W