sound card confuses speaker output with microphone input

Any hardware related topics go here.
Commodore 64 User

sound card confuses speaker output with microphone input

Post by Commodore 64 User »

Many thanks for any help that can be levied agains the following (beyond annoying) problem.

My 'Sound' link from the Control Panel brings up what one would expect with 'Show disconnected' and 'Show disabled' activated and I've tried to fix my problem by alternately 'disabling/setting as default' for pertinent items, but no luck: My microphone is showing the input from my speakers and I cannot get it to function as a proper microphone.

This came about by activating the 'Stereo Mix' as a recording device to record the audio from my speakers, but I can't reverse the procedure that allowed me to record record the speaker audio.

I've searched through Google and the like, but to no avail. The problem is out there, but not the solution.

As said, any help much appreciated,

C64User

P.S. Device Manager tells me the device is working normally and that the drivers are up to date (Realtek) and, if it might make a difference, the Hardware ID info is:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A73&REV_1001
and
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A73
but Google comes up nada with that info, too.
Slimshaedy

Re: sound card confuses speaker output with microphone input

Post by Slimshaedy »

I've never played around with my audio like that so I'm afraid I won't be of much use, I could offer ideas...
Depending on what software you're using, you can assign ports to any audio function so perhaps see if there's a default setting.
Or go into the sound control and right click your speakers and select default device, and your mic default communication device.
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Dustman1

Re: sound card confuses speaker output with microphone input

Post by Dustman1 »

I have noticed that with my onboard Realtek sound card, you can select the ports where the output should be directed to e.g. Mic is green / pink, speaker output colour and the like. Not at my PC now, so can't talk you through the procedure, however do know it is avaiable. Think it was under some advanced tab somewhere in the Realtek audio manager.

Please ensure that you have the latest Realtek drivers installed, I am using the Hi-Def version of the drivers.

Let me know if it works for you:-)