The Amazon Kindle Thread

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Amazon Kindle Thread

Post by Stuart »

iPad v. Kindle is like a Mercedez Benz v. Apple Tree argument to me. Completely pointless, because you're going to use the devices for two different purposes. Yes, you can read your Kindle books on iPad, but that's not why iPad users by there little toy. And those who want iPad functionality are certainly not going to expect it from a Kindle.

On another note, has anyone successfully managed to get their books to sync properly between devices? And I mean sync to the furthest read page? I have the Kindle and then the software installed on my PC and my BB, but it never correctly syncs between the devices when I want to read the most recently read page on different devices. Highly irritating.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

meh... I dont use he sync functionality.
I upload books only, then consume on one device.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Monty wrote:
Stuart wrote:Anyone still having issues with their Kindle 3? I read a lot about freezing, etc. when it was first released, which is what made me decide against getting one when it was first released.
I was having reboot issues (due to my cover) but they seem to be sorted now after a upgrade to 3.0.3 firmware
strange i have never had any issues with mine from the sart. and i pre-ordered mine before they were released.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

DeathStrike wrote:
Monty wrote:
Stuart wrote:Anyone still having issues with their Kindle 3? I read a lot about freezing, etc. when it was first released, which is what made me decide against getting one when it was first released.
I was having reboot issues (due to my cover) but they seem to be sorted now after a upgrade to 3.0.3 firmware
strange i have never had any issues with mine from the sart. and i pre-ordered mine before they were released.
I also pre ordered mine.

The non lighted covers have been documented to cause restarting issues.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
jee

Kindle swindle

Post by jee »

"This malicious device designed to attack the traditional freedoms of readers: There's the freedom to acquire a book anonymously, paying cash — impossible with the Kindle for all well-known recent books. There's the freedom to give, lend, or sell a book to anyone you wish — blocked by DRM and unjust licenses. Then there's the freedom to keep a book — denied by a back door for remote deletion of books." — Richard Stallman, president of the Free Software Foundation
The Kindle's DRM, however, is designed explicitly to prevent sharing and the public benefit that institutions like libraries provide.[1]

In terms of strict analogy, Kindle DRM even prohibits you from moving your books to another shelf. Any DRMed book you buy for the Kindle is forever locked to your Kindle until Amazon decides otherwise (and they show no sign of wanting to give up that control). If somebody else makes another ebook reader (one that perhaps also gives authors a better deal) readers are stuck with the Kindle, unless they want to repurchase the books they've already bought. Like Apple and the iPod, Amazon uses DRM to create lock-in: they don't want you using competing products from other companies.
more on the kindle swindle DRM
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I do read ebooks but there is nothing like holding a real book, the smell of the paper and ink and the feel as you turn the pages. But we just don't have enough trees any more...
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Ratso, where can I get an idea of books prices etc for these?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Oom Doo, go to Amazon and select the Kindle department from the menu on the left?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

^^ What he said
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thanks,

So one can buy the books from Amazon's .com with no problems?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

yeah doo.

not sure if it with all books as well, but you can also get a sample.

father bought one this morning which he couldn't find on his Kindle, but actually got it from Amazon.com
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Cool thanks.

I'm looking at possible getting my dad one.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Not all the books are available to South Africans, but other than that the only danger is having your books seized at the border.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

ROFL Dep :D

and the border of the internet is where? :P
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

D3PART3D wrote:Not all the books are available to South Africans, but other than that the only danger is having your books seized at the border.
But anything he can see in the Kindle store is available for him.

Oom doo, check for some of the books you know your father would be interested in to see if they are available for Kindle. I love the Kindle, but there is nothing more frustrating than looking for a bok only to find out it's not available on Kindle. :x

It'll always happen, but it's worthwhile checking up front how frequently.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thanks
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

So there are now a few new Kindle models, a new compact budget one for $79 which seems to be the same as the Kindle 3 but without the keyboard, a touch screen version in vanilla and 3G and Amazon's new tablet, the Kindle Fire priced at $199.

I'll stick with my keyboarded Kindle 3 though, thank you very much.

- Elon Musk
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm more concerned with the Kindle Fire, Amazon's new tablet. It's a $199 7" tablet jam packed with all of Amazon's services.

This tablet will be the iPad's first real competitor, IMO. I'm amped to see what happens.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Does Amazon still have that silly clause that they can delete any book out of your inventory even if you have bought it? I know there was a huge controversy about it sometime ago...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm more concerned with the Kindle Fire, Amazon's new tablet. It's a $199 7" tablet jam packed with all of Amazon's services.

This tablet will be the iPad's first real competitor, IMO. I'm amped to see what happens.
I was initially excited too, but I don't know anymore. Amazon needs to play to their strengths, and I immediately worry about how they are going to make graphic novels work on such a small screen. It is a kindle branded device after all. Web browsing is going to feel cramped too.

It does a whole lot more, but which problems does it solve that my phone can't? The only thing I can think of is playing video, but I don't think the average person is going to want to watch videos on the go that often. The iPad is just the right size to differentiate the experience from my phone enough for it to matter so I'd rather buy one of those.

Anakha56 wrote:Does Amazon still have that silly clause that they can delete any book out of your inventory even if you have bought it? I know there was a huge controversy about it sometime ago...
LOL, I don't know, but is that a legitimate worry? They are a business and it is in their best interest to avoid upsetting their customers. Even if that clause is there it's probably more of a worst-case scenario thing. A little like StarBound worrying that Sony is going to show up at his house in the middle of the night and take all his games from him. :P

- Elon Musk
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

D3PART3D wrote: A little like StarBound worrying that Sony is going to show up at his house in the middle of the night and take all his games from him.
if I was Sony I'd be seriously considering doing this to him
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

D3PART3D wrote: I immediately worry about how they are going to make graphic novels work on such a small screen. It is a kindle branded device after all. Web browsing is going to feel cramped too.
Integration with Amazon's services does sound intriguing, but I'm with you on this score. I'm keen to see them release a 10" model. With 3G.