Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

MSI Calls Bluff on Gigabyte's PCIe Gen 3 Ready Claim

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.techpowerup.com/151718/MSI-C ... Claim.html
MSI Calls Bluff on Gigabyte's PCIe Gen 3 Ready Claim

In August, Gigabyte made a claim that baffled at least MSI, that scores of its motherboards are Ready for Native PCIe Gen. 3. Along with the likes of ASRock, MSI was one of the first with motherboards featuring PCI-Express 3.0 slots, the company took the pains to educate buyers what PCI-E 3.0 is, and how to spot a motherboard that features it. MSI thinks that Gigabyte made a factual blunder bordering misinformation by claiming that as many as 40 of its motherboards are "Ready for Native PCIe Gen. 3." MSI decided to put its engineering and PR team to build a technically-sound presentation rebutting Gigabyte's claims.

Cant wait to see how Gigabyte responds...

/goes off to get the popcorn ready...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Slimshaedy

Re: MSI Calls Bluff on Gigabyte's PCIe Gen 3 Ready Claim

Post by Slimshaedy »

I remember i still posted the topic when Gigabyte made this claim. I love all these "behind the scenes" stories
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Well, I won't be buying Gigabyte, no matter how good they are. I'm sure they are not the only people to have done this, but they have been caught. Screw them. And Steve Jobs.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
J_Bay

Post by J_Bay »

I remember Slimshaedy's original thread. I think we all where wondering how they would implement this with existing hardware...So MSI is saying that Gigabyte lied?

I guess we could all just sit back and enjoy a boxing match between two MOBO vendors, lol!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

dig deep enough and you'll probably find that marketing, not engineering, was behind the stretching of the truth...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

^^ I am willing to place a bet on that. Marketing is usually the cause of all that trouble........just have a look at Microsoft's various blunders and lies
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Well from word of mouth if the hardcore users says that gigabyte is talking crap then it affects how many branches of buyers. Also if it is true that you can upgrade that hardware then there is no stopping it with GPUs.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.techpowerup.com/152351/Gigab ... -Call.html
Gigabyte Responds to MSI's Bluff Call
A little earlier this month, MSI's PR team dished out a presentation in which they claimed that Gigabyte was misleading buyers into thinking that as many as 40 of its recently-launched motherboards were "Ready for Native PCIe Gen.3". MSI tried to make its argument plausible by explaining what exactly goes into making a Gen 3-ready motherboard. The presentation caused quite some drama in the comments. Gigabyte responded with a presentation of its own, in which it counter-claimed that those making the accusations ignored some key details. Details such as "what if the Ivy Bridge CPU is wired to the first PCIe slot (lane switches won't matter)?"

In its short presentation with no more than 5 slides, Gigabyte tried to provide an explanation to its claim that most of its new motherboards are Gen 3-ready. The presentation begins with a diplomatic-sounding message on what is the agenda of the presentation, followed by a disclaimer that three of its recently-launched boards, Z68X-UD7-B3 & P67A-UD7/P67A-UD7-B3, lack Gen 3 readiness. This could be because those boards make use of a Gen 2 NVIDIA nForce 200 bridge chip, even the first PCI-E x16 slot is wired to that chip.

The next slide looks to form the key component of Gigabyte's rebuttal, that in motherboards with just one PCI-E x16 slot, there is no switching circuitry between the CPU's PCI-E root-complex and the slots, and so PCI-E Gen 3 will work.

The following slides explain that in motherboards with more than one PCI-Express x16 slot wired to the CPU, a Gen 3 switch redirects the unused x8 PCIe lanes from the
second slot to the first card slot for full x16 PCIe graphics bandwidth. But then MSI already established that barring the G1.Sniper 2, none of Gigabyte's boards with more than one PCI-E x16 slot has Gen 3 switches.

Likewise, it explained in the following slides about how Gen 3 switches handle cases in which more than one graphics card is wired to the CPU. Again we'd like to mention that barring the G1.Sniper 2, none of Gigabyte's 40 "Ready for Native PCIe Gen.3" have Gen 3 switches.

The last slide, however, successfully rebuts MSI's argument. Even in motherboards with Gen 2 switches, a Gen 3 graphics card can run in Gen 3 mode, on the first slot, albeit at electrical x8 data rate. Sure, it's not going to give you PCI-Express 3.0 x16, and sure, it's going to only work for one graphics card, but it adequately validates Gigabyte's "Ready for Native PCIe Gen.3" claim from a purely logical point of view.

Now that Gigabyte entered the debate, the onus on Gigabyte will now be to also clarify that apart from the switching argument, all its "Ready for Native PCIe Gen.3" have Gen 3-compliant electrical components, which MSI claimed Gigabyte's boards lack in this slide.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.