Dead Island

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Dead Island

Post by StarBound »

No Dead island thread? Well fixed that now.

Yesterday the game was released to us and my experience with it has been up and down and all around. For starters I bought the game for co-op. In that aspect the game is ...or rather was awesome. Very little beats a game where you can jump in and out on a free roaming mode without people actually having to be on your quest line. The lag was all fine and well until tragedy truck at around 9pm last night.

The graphics isnt bad but it isnt good either. The game is buggy as hell at the current version 1.2.0. Features in the game is limited as I had to manually set a refresh rate of 120hz via file editing. The weapon wheel takes a second to respond which is a second too long. Character movement is marred by strafing that slows you down.

If you enjoyed the borderlands co-op feel then this game might entertain you a while. If your looking for left 4 dead then you'll be sad to hear this game is not that stable.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Dead Island

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... broken.ars
Dead Island PC update: it's still broken
By Ben Kuchera | Published September 8, 2011 9:16 AM

Dead Island launched on the PC with some glaring technical problems, and there have been at least two patches pushed out to the game since release. After hearing that the game should be in a more polished state, I grabbed some friends, set up a LAN in a buddy's living room, and thought I'd write a follow-up story after testing the co-op and seeing how the game ran on a number of systems. Sadly, the problems with the game's stability on the PC persist.

After borrowing a friend's monitor and adjusting the game's resolution... the game crashed. When I relaunched, the old resolution was still selected. Trying to change it caused more crashes, until the adjustment finally took. (And I'm not sure what I did differently to get it working.) The game's graphics still look oversaturated and washed out on all the systems I've seen it played on, and there is a weird graphical glitch that takes place whenever you walk over water. And these are just the things I noticed after a few minutes of play.

The worst part is that multiplayer on the PC seems to be dead completely. The game's official Twitter feed is claiming that it's due to overcrowding on the servers, but I was unable to find other players, or even play with my friends in LAN mode. We were unable to get any aspect of the mutiplayer experience working.

The evening wasn't a complete waste of time: I was able to watch a new player explore the world for an hour or so. His verdict after I quizzed him about the game? Movement is weird, the graphics could be better, the inventory makes no sense, but the combat and game itself are good fun. "This game was made for co-op," he told me, and I tend to agree. Sadly, it's impossible to play that way at the moment.

There is a good game hiding in here, and the console gamers seem to be playing it happily based on the e-mails and comments I've received. We will continue to wait for more patches.
I shall wait until it gets stable thank you... ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

The word I've recieved is pc gamers are playing it better than console.
My Steam Screenshots

Thinice

Post by Thinice »

Got the game, love the game, but very much like borderlands

My posts are my own and not those of DigitalSAonline.co.za

South Africa's Online Web Store for Gamers.
http://www.DigitalSAOnline.co.za

Sponsor of
http://www.proximitylan.co.za
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Love the game, hate the bugs. Especially the acid scenes.
My Steam Screenshots

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

picked it up on special and the game concept is surprisingly good. scarcity of kit and the wear/repair makes for an engaging experience...

the weird avatar movement, jarring grammatical errors, graphical aberrations and random prangs are things to be loathed...

crashed in town, "resumed" in the middle of the jungle on a mission i hadn't gotten around to initiating... :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

The multiplayer in the game is good though. Its the kind of drop in drop out mechanic that I want. The experience is relatively laggless. Reasons I havent finished the game is because of all the crap just got to me.
My Steam Screenshots