Braaiday (24 September)

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Braaiday (24 September)

Post by Stuart »

In preparation for South Africa's National Braai day, held 24 September every year, comedy duo 'Derick Watts and the Sunday Blues' recorded and shot a music video to parody the viral sensation that was Rebecca Black's "Friday."

So, who's celebrating? Bonus points if you score a hidden camera of iRon singing "Braaiday."

Legend status if it's "Friday."
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Braaiday (24 September)

Post by Tribble »

Oh brilliant. Not gonna be able to help you with that footage of Ronny - he is in the wrong province. Ask Goldy.

Guess even we veggies will do the braai thing.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

or as anyone with a sense of proportion calls it, completely-farcical-marketing-day...

there is no such thing as "braaiday"...

i will be enjoying a delicious salad.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Good for you puppi - I on the other hand like to play with fire. So any excuse is a good one. And we will have salad on the side.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:or as anyone with a sense of proportion calls it, completely-farcical-marketing-day...
Yes. Much like Valentine's Day. And Mother's Day. And Father's Day. And Women's Day. And birthdays.

What's your point?
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

:lol: We prepare salad to distract the animal carcass from it's fate
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:birthdays.
how did birthdays even make this list? :lol:

braaiday is pure marketing tripe. start to finish. there is some marginal point behind women's/father's/mother's day and valentine's day has some history behind it, (entrenched marketing)...

braaiday is pure, unadulterated, branding idiocy... this isn't about me being a unique snowflake - it's about rejecting stupidity when you encounter it. this is stupid. the concept is to engender a "spirit of togetherness and community" when mostly what it engenders is increased sales and gut-rot.

if i were the sort of person who bought into this nonsense i'd also be attending political rallies... because at that point my brain becomes a decorative place-holder whose only function is to prevent my skull imploding...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:braaiday is pure marketing tripe. start to finish. there is some marginal point behind women's/father's/mother's day and valentine's day has some history behind it, (entrenched marketing)...
I actually agree with the marketing tripe thing, but, honestly, Women's / Father's / Mother's / Valentine's Day are all exactly the same. More often than not they're just a weak excuse for a public holiday (Women's Day) or an opportunity to salve one's conscience for not being a vaguely loving son/daughter or significant other for the other 364 days a year. Do your duty one day a year, purchase some grossly overpriced gift, and make yourself look really special by publicly wishing "all fathers/mothers out there" a "happy Father's/Mother's Day."

Braaiday has every bit as much cultural significance as those other significant days. And you get to poke fun of Rebecca Black at the same time. What's not to love? Valentine's Day will achieve the same cultural significance when someone does a spoof Justin Bieber video in celebration.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

rustypup wrote:
braaiday is pure marketing tripe. start to finish. there is some marginal point behind women's/father's/mother's day and valentine's day has some history behind it, (entrenched marketing)...

braaiday is pure, unadulterated, branding idiocy... this isn't about me being a unique snowflake - it's about rejecting stupidity when you encounter it. this is stupid. the concept is to engender a "spirit of togetherness and community" when mostly what it engenders is increased sales and gut-rot.

if i were the sort of person who bought into this nonsense i'd also be attending political rallies... because at that point my brain becomes a decorative place-holder whose only function is to prevent my skull imploding...
I disagree.

To have a braai is more of a SA tradition than say Valentine's day that was basically adopted from another country.
To braai is something that South African's do best.

Remember the 1970's add of GM? "Braaivleis, rugby, sunny skies, and Chevrolet"

Nowhere in the world is a braai this popular.

So up comes Father's day, Mother's day, Valentine's day ect ect. Suddenly every stuffed animal is higher in price, shops have big adds on their windows advertising their "day" specials and combo deals. Prices on flowers go up and there is big hoohaa.

Not so for braai day. Meat prices stay the same, potato prices for potato salad or potato bake stay the same, onions, salad ect ect, charcoal/briquettes/wood prices stay the same and even fire-lighter prices stay the same.
And it's not like your typical South African waits for the 24th of Sept to have a braai and the shops suddenly makes a killing because everyone rushes to buy braai goodies. We saffas braai whenever we can. I will braai tonight and will braai again the weekend.

Just take a drive through your neighbourhood and you will at some point smell a braai.

So it's not something that is marketed to the point that it influences consumer prices. It's something that came from years and years ago that makes SA well....SA. When you think SA, you think of sun, surf and a braai.

Let's havea barbecue. meh. Sounds stupid and I picture the yanks throwing some sausages on a gas braai. BOO!

I for one would rather support braai day then some other arbitrary drive to unite all south africans. At least with a braai day I know that we are doing something that is engraved in SA's history and it's something that all people of SA can relate to.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

ahh, just because it is marketing hype you will boycott the idea... makes perfect sense.
if any initiative is made or suggested that have a remote connection to potential fun, where that fun is outside his unique definition of what is deemed fun in his tiny self centered world, he will deliver a post as seen above.

I will go all out with 5 different types of animal on the braai grill (fire made with proper kameeldoring hout from Namibia).
I'll add mielies on the stronk, pap and a good chilli tomato sauce. Sided with good old cold aartappel slaai made with mayo gerkins and a wee bit of condensed milk.

The only fluid accompaniment to all this will be some SAB beer.
And we will be wearing rugby jerseys.

In fact, rusty.... I extend an invitation to you formally now. Join me, all you have to do is arrive.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

IcePick88 wrote:Let's havea barbecue. meh. Sounds stupid and I picture the yanks throwing some sausages on a gas braai. BOO!
See, now you've opened a whole other can of worms. What constitutes a braai? Is it a braai if you use gas? Is it a braai if you use charcoal, or does only wood count? This can go deep, I tell you!
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

rustypup wrote:braaiday is pure marketing tripe. start to finish.

braaiday is pure, unadulterated, branding idiocy...
Good lord; and I thought I was a pessimistic, anti-social, sticking-it-to-the-man crackpot.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Stuart wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:Let's havea barbecue. meh. Sounds stupid and I picture the yanks throwing some sausages on a gas braai. BOO!
See, now you've opened a whole other can of worms. What constitutes a braai? Is it a braai if you use gas? Is it a braai if you use charcoal, or does only wood count? This can go deep, I tell you!
:lol: :lol:

I would say that all those constitute a braai, but to me you have to braai with briquettes at least. Wood is the obvious winner.

I'm not a fan of gas and I have refused to braai with people that use gas. The meat just does not taste the same I'm sorry.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

IcePick88 wrote:I'm not a fan of gas and I have refused to braai with people that use gas. The meat just does not taste the same I'm sorry.
I am largely in agreement, although modern gas braais do a better job than the older ones used to. I will eat boerewors rolls done on a gas braai, but I agree that other meat tastes distinctly different over gas.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Stuart wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:I'm not a fan of gas and I have refused to braai with people that use gas. The meat just does not taste the same I'm sorry.
I am largely in agreement, although modern gas braais do a better job than the older ones used to. I will eat boerewors rolls done on a gas braai, but I agree that other meat tastes distinctly different over gas.
QFT, even firelighters / briquettes tend to affect the taste of braaivleis, all my braais are done on my Weber, using proper charcoal and started in a chimney starter.

On a side-note, this is not the discussion to be having before lunchtime!
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Chat is a chimney starter?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

IcePick88 wrote: it's something that all people of SA can relate to.
you... relate to a braai?... seriously...
Sojourn wrote:just because it is marketing hype you will boycott the idea.
err.. yes. precisely because of what it is..

i have no issue with enjoying a good braai... i have an issue with people who think it means something... the same issue i have with people who imagine that turning all the lights of saves the planet or wearing a ribbon cures a disease... it's a conflation of cause and effect and it's disturbingly sad that people will actively argue the case for good..

to be sure, meat is delicious... celebrating the burning and consumption thereof is a little disturbed...
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh IcePick don't get him started. You should have heard him when he saw my S2 and the Galaxy Tab :lol: Run away - run away now and braai in piece.

;-)
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Tribble wrote:Chat is a chimney starter?
It's essentially a metal cylinder about 30cm tall and half that in diameter with a vented grate about a quarter of the way up. The whole thing is fitted with a handle. What you do essentially is stack your charcoal into the canister atop the grate. You tear up a few small shreds of newspaper and place them underneath the grate. The whole thing then works like a chimney, you light the newspaper and the rising heat sequentially lights the coals moving up. The nice thing is that you don't have to use firelighters and by the time the coals at the top are glowing, you're ready to braai so it's about 20mins and you're good to go, as opposed to the hour-long traditional process.

I love my Weber, even got a pizza stone which makes the most awesome home-made pizzas
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Tribble wrote:Oh IcePick don't get him started. You should have heard him when he saw my S2 and the Galaxy Tab :lol: Run away - run away now and braai in piece.

;-)
:lol: :lol:
Jonboy wrote: you're ready to braai so it's about 20mins and you're good to go, as opposed to the hour-long traditional process.
I got a big braai at home and when we have friends over, the dop comes out, I chuck two bags of charcoal or briquettes in the braai and light it. We normally only start braaing at like 8 at night and the fire was started at 5! :lol:

I tend to savour a braai. It's not something I want to rush. :)
Last edited by IcePick88 on 07 Sep 2011, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

We do ours long and leisurely (and yes we do really braai)

Make it next to the pool - get the loungers out - the drinks. We sit and chat and swim should the desire surface. My dad taught me how to make a braai take only 60mins to get ready - so that is the method I use. Guess if it was bigger it would take longer - but he was precise in the charcoal to braai ratio ;-)

I like the idea of the chimney though. With storms on the horizon I don't want to be forced to braai out back.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

IcePick88 wrote: I got a big braai at home and when we have friends over, the dop comes out, I chuck two bags of charcoal or briquettes in the braai and light it. We normally only start braaing at like 8 at night and the fire was started at 5! :lol:
Couldn't resist this, was the first thing that came to mind:

[LG W2234S 22" Display]
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Pizza in a Weber! Why did I never think of that?! Where'd you get the pizza stone Jonboy?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Got my at Builder's Warehouse, was about R140, think the brand is Alva, basically a round terracotta stone that you pop onto the grill and leave it to heat up with the lid closed for about 45 minutes. The tile draws moisture from the dough so you get that delicious crispy base like from a pizza oven. For that smoky flavor, use wood. Make your bases thin and cook for 7-10 minutes per pie. Got my dad-in-law to fashion a paddle for me and all, so quite a good setup going there.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Tribble