From Dust - Do not buy...

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

From Dust - Do not buy...

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... mments-bar
War on PC gamers continues: Ubisoft misled on From Dust DRM
By Ben Kuchera | Published about 2 hours ago

Ubisoft has a horrible reputation among PC gamers, due to the fact that it is an absolutely terrible company when it comes to the platform. The transgressions are many, including horrific DRM in big-name titles, but the latest issues concern the PC version of From Dust, an Xbox Live Arcade title that was launched three weeks ago on the Xbox 360.

The game was scheduled to be released alongside its console counterpart, but it was delayed at the last moment, with Ubisoft promising that it would not require an Internet connection to play after an initial activation. The game was finally released and... guess what? Ubisoft lied. The original forum post has been edited with the new information, the company is stone-walling fans and the press who ask for comment, and no one is happy. Oh, and the port is absolutely terrible.

The story changed after launch

Thread title should probably be something else but since the game is being pushed heavily on Steam I thought I would give the heads up.

Gotta love this final say in the article:
Our advice is simple: don't buy From Dust. In the future, do not buy Ubisoft games at launch until their claims can be verified.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: From Dust - Do not buy...

Post by StarBound »

Well I don't buy their games anymore. The prince of persia pack was on special during the steam summer sale but left alone due to their reputation.

Your not missing much with From Dusk anyway. The game is inferior to Black and White.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Ubisoft are really not wining themselves any fans with this(not that they have any that is). Lying to the customer is not a good idea as the customer is their reason for existence :x

I hated Ubisoft before but now I hate then even more, I dont care that 'from dust' is terrible I just cant stand the fact that they lie to their customers about DRM. I hope they run into serious financial problems and close down and I dont think I am the only one who thinks this....
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

There was another publisher or developer that pulled the same thing right before launch. Either that or I remember how quickly I cancelled my pre-order of MW2 when I learned there is no dedicated server.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea MW2 was a bit of a fail.....luckily there was a patch that gave you access to LAN gaming. Black ops is also just as bad when it comes to multilayer because there is no LAN. Why dont the new games have LAN any more
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I have been finished with Ubi for some time now.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

THE_STIG wrote:Yea MW2 was a bit of a fail.....luckily there was a patch that gave you access to LAN gaming. Black ops is also just as bad when it comes to multilayer because there is no LAN. Why dont the new games have LAN any more
Product control? Puts game devs/publishers in charge of your game. Else you will never move on to the inferior product.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

It is sad that they do that.....Cod with no LAN is like formula 1 with no cars
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/23/from- ... tched-out/
From Dust DRM to be patched out

Ubisoft have decided to remove From Dust’s controversial DRM system that requires players to be online whenever the game is launched.

A post from Ubisoft on their forums, spotted on Eurogamer, says that a patch will arrive in approximately two weeks to remove the start up authentication procedure. They say that the development time is needed to ensure that players’ game saves, currently stored on Ubisoft’s servers, are relocated to users’ hard drives before the servers are switched off.

“Once the patch is ready, players who already have the game will automatically receive the update on their next login and subsequent game sessions will be 100 per cent offline,” reads the forum post.

The turnaround follows initial confusion over From Dust’s DRM system before its release. A forum post from a Ubisoft employee announced that From Dust would not need an internet connection to play, which turned out to be entirely inaccurate. Players who bought the game based on that premise have since been seeking refunds from Ubisoft and Steam.

Ubisoft don’t mention whether the patch will address any of the other problems that players have had with crashes, bugs and a lack of graphical options.

If you want to know what the game behind the DRM is like, read our From Dust review.
Verdict = Do not buy. Even after 2 weeks when the DRM is removed. Why? Its a cruddy console port from a cruddy company...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Anakha56 wrote: Verdict = Do not buy. Even after 2 weeks when the DRM is removed. Why? Its a cruddy console port from a cruddy company...
Let's be fair. The DRM is there. Removing it after would have been ok if it was just activation. Nothing is stopping them from bringing it back. I'm actually surprised that Steam didn't kick them from the start with the change in DRM.
My Steam Screenshots