Email help

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Smurf6

Email help

Post by Smurf6 »

Hi guys im not new to the forum i forgot my username :oops: kinda blond :mrgreen: anyway i recently got a new adsl line from telkom with them as my isp (for now ) :lol: so here is my problem after phoning telkom numerous times without any success on helping me setting up my email in my outlook im trying my luck here with all the people that know something :) im using windows 7 ulitimate with office 2007 outlook, now i can receive a email which means my pop3.telkomsa.net is correct, but i can't reply to a email which to me means my outgoing server is incorrect, i have tried smtp.telkomsa.net and smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net none worked even tried :roll: smtp.saix.net no success anyone care to help a friend in huge need 8)

oh and my 3g also dont work on win7 64bit :( anyone have the some problem with the 8ta e180 ?

Kind regards
A Smurf in help
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Email help

Post by Stuart »

Wow, a relative of iRon. Welcome back. We all forget our username every now and again. (No, not really.)

Do you have a gmail account so you can try the gmail smtp server?
Smurf6

Post by Smurf6 »

yes i do, i have entered everything no issues. the reason i want to use my telkom email its not for me, its for dad for his business but somehow telkom is giving the wrong settings anyone else having the same trouble with telkom and win7 or is it just me
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Just a thought: Try using the Telkom SMTP server but changing the Outgoing Port from 25 to 26 or something. See if that makes any difference.
Smurf6

Post by Smurf6 »

i got the this from telkomsa.net

pop3.telkomsa.net
smtp.telkomsa.net
smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net

none of them worked though
i also have tried smtp.saix.net
and no success :(
Smurf6

Post by Smurf6 »

Stuart wrote:Just a thought: Try using the Telkom SMTP server but changing the Outgoing Port from 25 to 26 or something. See if that makes any difference.
tried 26,27,28 even down to 20 haha no success murphy's law :twisted:
Smurf6

Post by Smurf6 »

got it right :P telkom can kiss my head :D so i have founded out if i dont use my telkom acc in my router it wont sent email via it, so in order to make use of my open cap i had to make my outgoing smtp.isdsl.net haha oh well thanx stu much appreciated
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

yea, you have to use your ISP's smtp for outgoing - regardless of mail provider you use.
would have solved it for you had i seen this earlier sorry.
Smurf6

Post by Smurf6 »

Sojourn wrote:yea, you have to use your ISP's smtp for outgoing - regardless of mail provider you use.
would have solved it for you had i seen this earlier sorry.
no problem :)
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Yeah - ISPs generally restrict usage of their SMTP servers to their allocated IP ranges. You can thank the unthinking spammers out there for that.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Smurf6 wrote:got it right :P telkom can kiss my head :D so i have founded out if i dont use my telkom acc in my router it wont sent email via it, so in order to make use of my open cap i had to make my outgoing smtp.isdsl.net haha oh well thanx stu much appreciated
Oh, right, I was acting on the assumption that you were connecting with the saix backbone. Thing is, if you switch back to your telkom account then the isdl smtp server won't work anymore.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

^^ A possible solution is to have the router dial multiple PPPoE accounts simultaneously, and route certain traffic over the one connection. I originally tried this as I was having issues remoting into a company VPN when on the SAIX backbone, yet it would strangely work fine over IS - I worked around the issue by grabbing a prepaid IS account, setting up the router to dial into the IS and SAIX accounts simultaneously, and then routed all traffic to the company's public IP range through the IS connection and left the SAIX connection as the default route for everything else. (This was in the days when the SAIX and IS backbones were the only options out there.)

You could set something up that, say, routes traffic to the SAIX mail servers over the SAIX connection and everything else over the IS connection (or, of course, the other way around). This however requires both networking skill as well as a router supporting this ability. I did this on the D-Link DSL-2500U; other models of the DSL-2xxxU family would be able to do the same thing, but I have no idea as to the capabilities of the other brands.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Port 587 outgoing.