Dungeon Siege 3: The siegiest!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
rustypup

Dungeon Siege 3: The siegiest!

Post by rustypup »

dungeonsiegeblurb wrote:For centuries legionnaires have protected the nation of Ehb until they were betrayed and all but driven to the brink of extinction. Now that evil has returned to Ehb the people turn to the few remaining Legionnaires for the protection of the past. As an heir to the legion will you accept this plea for help? How it will all be resolved is up to you!

Dungeon Siege 3 is an Action RPG that seamlessly blends intuitive fast-paced gameplay, a robust RPG system featuring a large selection of abilities, loot galore and the depth of story Square-Enix and Obsidian Entertainment are known for creating. Players will be able to adventure by themselves, on the couch with friends, or online in a fully multiplayer experience.

hard as i tried, i could not finish a single game of either... and now there's a third.... :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Dungeon Siege 3: The siegiest!

Post by StarBound »

Finished the 1st. Didn't even finish the 2nd demo. I probably wont even finish the 3rds review. It's coming to console so might see a simplified inventory system. But taking the combat and play system from the first game Diablo has a better chance of getting on console than DS does.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

*nevermind*
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Have any of you downloaded and played the demo of this fine game?

As a left-hander who is also not that used to using the keyboard when playing games, I found the controls awkward. No character customisation either and the inventory system looks like something only a twit could love...
Bluez

Post by Bluez »

Played the demo (with a controller so I can't comment on the controls) but I have to agree with you on the customisation and inventory. I lost interest about half an hour in. Hopefully it'll change in the full version, otherwise this is one game that I'm going to skip :(
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Intel I5, WD 1T, Kingmax4GB, ATI Radeon Toxic 5850, 23" Samsung
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Downloaded the demo and played about 50minutes. I don't know what to think anymore. The story telling is good. I like that part. I don't like the fixed camera and the stage design is FAR TOO LINEAR. Haven't we already gone over that complaint in like 50-80% of the titles released so far this year? Is there something that developers don't get? Should we spell it out for them? Or should we write it in their blood for their successors?

The original dungeon siege had more exploration in its first 15 minutes than this game. I actually remember that small cave with the treasure chest in it if you just walked left into it off the pathway. It had a bear in it. And parts I remember for later is the swamp where you go into the church or I think if you clicked on one of the graves you would fall down into the catacombs. Small distractions but it does add more play value.
My Steam Screenshots

StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

I finished the demo this evening. I want moar... :oops:
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

So guess your getting it then? Let us know how it is please because I am upset with how the demo rolls out. Maybe they add a bit more exploration ....or maybe not.
My Steam Screenshots

StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Not anytime soon. I usually only buy games once they go on sale or are released under a budget label....doesn't matter how good the game is.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/Cant install yet... Release date is not today... *sigh*
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Its not? They could have fooled me with the way steam is advertising it.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

It probably is today, just not in the South African timezone...

*edit*

For good measure...

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

^^ Lol
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

The funny thing was it was able to install at 18:30 when I was leaving for work... :?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

So my take on this game...

I have a paining wrist :(. Camera controls are annoying, cant help but feel the game would be 10 times more enjoyable if I could control the character like I would a normal RPG. Instead I have to put up with some half baked idea that WASD would be a great way to control the character, you can click and hold right click and you just move the mouse and you character moves but dammit I want the mouse to control screen direction as well.

Voice overs are painful to listen to. I read the subtitles faster so I can skip the talking scenes quicker. My character sounds like a GPS units, lifeless and boring. Half expecting her to say "Turn left into enemies" kill all then "Oh wait they are friendlies". Her voice is a badly synthesized PC. Could be because I am playing the fiery robot erm lady but damn she sounds lifeless... :(

Cut scenes are painful to watch. Graphics for the game are nice while the view is expanded but when you get to a cut scene it looks like a dated console game from a PS2.

My verdict, its a bargain bin buy. Unless they release a patch to dramatically improve the controls I will only be able to play at short stints otherwise my wrist will kill me.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Taken from Obsidian: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=57715
We're looking at making it so that A and D rotate the camera in the same direction regardless of whether you walk forwards or backwards.
We're looking at defaulting the Camera Auto-Orient option off, since many players report that this is frustrating. It will still remain as an option in the menu for those of you who like it.
We've fixed a few startup crashes that happen to people running the game while running windows in specific other locales (Czech, Ukrainian, etc.) not specifically supported by localizations of the game. This fix has already gone out for the demo and will be included in the release version.
We're working with AMD on an issue reported here that causes graphical issues when forcing AA on via the Catalyst Control Center on AMD cards. A temporary workaround is to use Application Settings for AA rather than overriding them.
And then on page 2:
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to announce one of those "bigger features that we didn't have an ETA on".

Soon™, we'll be releasing a patch which adds keybinding to the PC version of the game. We want to make sure we don't introduce any bugs, which is why we don't release it immediately, but it shouldn't be long now.

Again, there are still more updates/improvements we're looking at for the PC version, but I wanted to give you all a heads up that this is one of the big ones since it's something that you all have been asking about.

Thanks!
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Sounds like you want to take the game back for a full refund at this point? If there was a law for it I would have returned a few games already.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

/Lets try this again, previous post timed out... :cry:

Graphics, Game wastes them. I have a +- 4 year old PC with the only change back then being the GPU which is now a GTX 460. I am playing this game full settings at 1680*1050 and my PC is keeping up just fine. I have all this lovely screen real estate so you would think that when you are given the conversation wheel (ME2) it would not be so ... wasteful but it is.

Then you have your Inventory/Buying screens which make one just want to cry. You have one huge tab for buying goods and in that tab it has goods for each character type but only at a maximum of 2 each not random placing or random amounts it is 2*Chest armour piece, 2* Weapons, 2*Boot types and so on for each character type. Here is something that really threw me, I sold a spear to some shop go to a different shop in a different part of the map and I can buy back what I sold to the other guy. How the frig does that work? :?

Combat feels weak. Every hit you land feels like it does not exist. Feels like you are wading through a calm stream and I am playing on normal if that helps in anyway. Oh and playing as this Archon chick very, very boring combat moves. Never changes and always the same and always in the same pattern.

As for exploring, well I hope that improves later on but right now this map is on rails. Really hope it picks up later on. Levels looks very nice and thats about the only thing keeping me going at this point otherwise it would be uninstalled very quickly.

So Star to answer your question yes I want to take it back, I want my refund for the game and the fuel wasted on picking the damn thing up...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Ok we established the game doesn't play like dungeon siege. Which game does it play like?
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

No idea. This is in a league of its own...
LONEWOLF

Post by LONEWOLF »

Dungeon Siege was epic. The combination of pretty 3D graphics, a large party size of eight distinct characters, being able to select your desired party formation and a 50 hour plus journey, all made for pure hack and slash bliss. In comparison Dungeon Siege 2 felt like a step backwards. Sure you could now develop more distinct classes with their own unique powers and abilities, but the most notable regress was the party cap of only four characters on your first play through, which simply felt too restrictive when selecting your desired party mix. Dungeon Siege 3 on the other hand almost bears no resemblance to its predecessors. Granted, it certainly looks prettier and has better storytelling on the whole, but it was never about these things for me. It was about the gameplay. And this is precisely where Dungeon Siege 3 fails. This game was designed for a gamepad and playing with a mouse and keyboard can be very frustrating at times. This also holds true for your inventory screen which seems overly simplistic. This trend is carried through to your skills and abilities, which for some characters are a bit confusing and not well explained in the game’s documentation. On the subject of characters, there are only four predefined classes to choose from and your party is limited to two characters at a time. Although, strangely, as you progress throughout the game you can simply swap out your companion and the new character will miraculously appear. Other than that, the game world does not allow for much exploring and the combat and enemies felt boring and much the same. The game took me about 12 hours to complete on normal difficulty. Highlights were few, but some boss battles and dungeon crawls did leave me with a sense of accomplishment.
Corsair 650D : Corsair AX850 : Intel i7 3770K : Corsair H60 : Gigabyte Z77 UD5H Wi-Fi : 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2133 : 128GB Plextor M3 Pro SSD : 2TB WD Black : Seagate Black Armor 220 NAS : Gigabyte GTX 680 OC : X-Fi Fatal1ty : 27" Samsung S27B550 LED : Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit)
Molean

Post by Molean »

DS 1 as far as I remember wasn't hack and slash, but used the same design as Neverwinter Nights. Where you would click and then depending on your roll, would justify your hit ratio and while thats happening you can add on powers or spells. Number 2 for me was a great improvement. Pretty gfx, fun gameplay. Was a great lil co-op game. Not going to touch the 3rd one. Even if someone gave it to me.
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
LONEWOLF

Post by LONEWOLF »

Molean wrote:DS 1 as far as I remember wasn't hack and slash, but used the same design as Neverwinter Nights.
I remember different. :D
Corsair 650D : Corsair AX850 : Intel i7 3770K : Corsair H60 : Gigabyte Z77 UD5H Wi-Fi : 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2133 : 128GB Plextor M3 Pro SSD : 2TB WD Black : Seagate Black Armor 220 NAS : Gigabyte GTX 680 OC : X-Fi Fatal1ty : 27" Samsung S27B550 LED : Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit)