RIM collapse beginning?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: RIM collapse beginning?

Post by ryanrich »

Ten Reasons Why BlackBerry Is Screwed

Kelly Hodgkins — RIM, the maker of BlackBerry, was absolutely destroyed today in the stock market. But that's just part of the story. RIM is screwed.

1. No new products until the summer

RIM's current lineup of phones is subpar, to say the least. Worse, basically none of the current models will get the marginally newer and better BlackBerry OS 7.0 update. Yet, RIM says there are going to be "delays in new product introductions into the very late part of August." Ugh.

2. Upcoming leaked products are boooooooring

Just look what is coming up next, supposedly: Stuff like the BlackBerry Bold 9900. Sure, it'll run BlackBerry OS 7 and might have a touchscreen! But it's also the same handset RIM has been pumping out for the last five years.

3. The Playbook

RIM's jump into the tablet market has been pretty floppy. The PlayBook is impressive under the hood and we liked it, at first. But the lack of basic features like email—something BlackBerry is very known for!—and a basically deserted app store makes it non-buyable. For basically anyone.

4. Blackberry App World is a ghost town

BlackBerry App World debuted in 2009 and had about 26,000 applications as of April 2011. Android had over 200,000 apps and iOS was pushing 350,000. More importantly, the number of quality apps? A barren wasteland.

5. Developers hate making BlackBerry apps

It's a bad sign when a developer who wants to code for your platform, throws up his hands in exasperation and says "screw it." It's even worse when that letter is posted on the Internet, goes viral and many nod in agreement.

6. Financials are in ruins

RIM's latest quarterly earnings were lower than expected. Terribly so. The expectation for next quarter has been cut 20 percent and serious layoffs loom. Hope you weren't planning on using your RIM stock to fund your retirement.

7. Leadership is struggling

RIM still has two CEOs, neither of which is a bold, innovative leader, even if Mike Lazaridis is an engineering genius. The pair spent a large portion of RIM's recent earnings conference call justifying why this co-leadership is a good thing. How about they just prove it with awesome phones and tons of happy users?

8. Even BlackBerry owners don't want BlackBerrys

A survey from last year suggested more than half of current BlackBerry owners were going to switch to Android or iOS. Enough said.

9. Enterprise interest is falling

This is death. RIM has a stronghold in the corporate world, but its grip is loosening. In the past, everyone from the CEO to the office manager had a BlackBerry on their hip. Slowly but surely, those BlackBerry handsets are being replaced with iPhones and Droids. Even the iPad is gaining ground. Apple's Tim Cook said recently that "more than 80 percent" of Fortune 100 companies are testing out the iPad.

10. Other companies are eating RIM's lunch

RIM's biggest advantage was its push email and BlackBerry Messenger service. Now just about every smartphone platform has push email (in some form) and Apple's new iMessage is gunning for BBM. BlackBerry OS 7 is already behind, and it's not even out yet. Just look at the voice control and navigation built into Android.

Co-CEO Mike Lazardis tried to put a positive spin on the company's "transitional" period when he said, "RIM has taken a unique path, and why we do things might not be obvious from the outside." Someone needs to tell big Mike that it's time to do away with this smokescreen and start releasing quality handsets ASAP. If it doesn't, RIM is going to end up like Palm.
Source
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Was just about to post that.

Jammie - "Wait.... 13.2 million phones and half a million tablets in 3 months"

Something like 400 000 Android devices are activated every day. That's more than a million in 3 days. That's 13 million in a month, more or less. And that number is climbing FAST. It feels like just yesterday when they announced 250 000 a day.

Now as an investor, would you buy into Android or RIM? Those are your only two options. NOT investing also isn't an option. BB or Android?

EDIT: And that's just Android. Now that I think of it, Apple also has a stupid amount of activations a day. It's not 400 000, but it's a lot.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Something like 400 000 Android devices are activated every day.
WOW!!!! random statistics make you sound awesome!

How many different Android devices are there? All made by the same company? Does the money generated by Android devices get collected at the end of the day and put into one bank account?

Pick an Android device, any Android device and lets see if it's sales over the past quarter beat Blackberry's
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

jamin_za wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Something like 400 000 Android devices are activated every day.
WOW!!!! random statistics make you sound awesome!

How many different Android devices are there? All made by the same company? Does the money generated by Android devices get collected at the end of the day and put into one bank account?

Pick an Android device, any Android device and lets see if it's sales over the past quarter beat Blackberry's
Well the iPhone is ONE device. 4th quarter 2010 RIM shipped 10.5 million units while Apple shipped 14.1 million...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

We were talking about Android devices :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jamin_za wrote:Does the money generated by Android devices get collected at the end of the day and put into one bank account?
Yes, Alcatel gets all Android-generated money.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Blackberry Empathy

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I know this is a "family" forum but: HOLY ****, THAT'S HOT!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I agree - sooo sexy
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/23/rim-chief ... rim-stock/
RIM chiefs no longer billionaires thanks to plummeting RIM stock
By: Zach Epstein | Jun 23rd, 2011 at 06:01PM

Shares of RIM stock have taken a beating since the company announced devastating first-quarter earnings last Thursday. The Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry maker missed Wall Street’s first-quarter consensus, it lowered its full-year guidance, it announced workforce reductions, it confirmed product delays and investors went running for the door as did a top executive. Since the earnings release last week, RIM’s stock has fallen more than 25%. This is bad news for every RIM investor, but two in particular must be especially upset. RIM Co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie collectively own more than 10% of the company, a stake that helped each man achieve billionaire status. Last year, Lazaridis was ranked the world’s 651st richest man by Forbes with a net worth of $1.9 billion, and Balsillie was No. 692 on the list with a net worth of $1.8 billion. Fast forward to today, and neither man can call himself a billionaire any longer. The cheifs’ stake in the company is still worth more than $1 billion combined, but separately, their net worths are now just roughly $800 million a piece. We doubt the employees set to be laid off in the coming weeks and months will shed any tears for the Co-CEOs’ loss, but it’s just another piece of a puzzle that continues to fall apart. Some analysts believe RIM is hardly out for the count, however, and we agree that the company has a bit of fight left in it. If Balsillie and Lazaridis hope to rejoin the billionaire club, it’s time to put those gloves on and start swinging.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Problem? No problem! :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I read this week that the Playbook has no native email support. You have to connect your BB phone to the tablet via a secure bluetooth connection to get your mail.

A blackberry, with no native email.

In the words of Jammie: "The mind boggles".
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Yeah, if thats true it's pretty stupid :lol:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I think it is really sad. This is the first phone I have really enjoyed having. Been through a few and this has been the most reliable and fun phone. But even I, as upgrade time looms, am looking elsewhere. My needs have changed and I really don't like people being able to chat to me whenever they want to - and then getting upset when I ignore them. So would rather have a phone where they can't :twisted:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

As part of this whole collapse thingy - my phone no longer scrolls up. Sideways and down work perfectly. I wanted to take it in for repairs but they say they have to send it away and it could take up to 2 months. Is there anyone here who knows of someone who can clean the contacts? That is what they say is wrong. The little ball needs to be removed and the metal contacts cleaned. But they don't have anyone here that can do it.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Spoiler (show)
jamin_za wrote:Blackberry Empathy

Aaarrrhhhh... Cryptonite
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I could probably fix it up for you Tribs. Obviously having me do it will void your warranty, but it'll only take a day :)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I really don't care. It is nearly 2 years old so I don't think it is valid anyway. I would love you to look at it please :hug:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sure thing :) Let me know :)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Will do - I am in Mooinooi tomorrow so perhaps meet you on Wed somewhere. I still have your number if you have not changed it - so will give you a call. Thanks so much - I really appreciate it.