Which Multitool?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Synthesis

Which Multitool?

Post by Synthesis »

Hi guys

Could I get some opinions please.
I have decided I need a multitool. I mainly work with electrical / networking wires and many different connection blocks with different types of philips, flat and hex screws and a blade good enough for anything.

I'm looking at the Skeletool along with the 21 piece bit kit

Image + Image

I can get the skeletool with pouch and the bit kit at amazon.co.uk for R700. I don't pay for postage from the UK.

What are you guys using and what do you think of the skeletool for price vs. quality ?
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Which Multitool?

Post by Nuke »

I carry a Leatherman Charge AL. Its a bit on the heavy side, but I love it. I think the Skeletool is good, but try to get the CX version with a 154CM blade. I'm also looking for the CX version, to carry when I don't have a belt on. It holds an edge very well, I used mine for 6 months before I resharpened it for the first time( and I can tell you, I use and abuse it alot, eg. cutting stranded copper wire with it). The other tool that is on my buy list is the Charge TTI, that has an even better blade (S30V)

The only problem with the Skeletool is the lack of tools. I often use the saw, file, small bit screwdriver and scissors that the Charge have.

There is people who don't like the 2D bits, but I can assure you its not an issue at all. The only problem is that its doesn't have a long reach(but its a multitool, so you can't really expect that). The Charge comes with a few extra bits.

BTW have a look here I buy all my knives, etc from them. I'm really happy with their service. Though it may be a bit more expensive.
Synthesis

Re: Which Multitool?

Post by Synthesis »

Thanks Nuke. I checked the site out. It is a bit expensive. For the price they have on the Skeletool I can get a charge somewhere else, or a skeletool with accessories. Like you say, it is heavy and there's really just too many things on it that I'll never use.

I like the skeletool idea because it's simplistic, and light. I looked at the CX, but thought the only difference was the coating. I wont be using it for heavy duty so I'm not worried about it getting scratched or damaged. I'll have to look again because the blade was the biggest seller for me. I'll never use the saw or scissors. As long as I can strip a wire and cut something, that's all I need. That's why I'm getting the bit-set with it. I use pretty much every size torx and screwdriver size that you get, on a daily basis. I see you also get a bit extender add-on which I'll only know if it's worth getting after I've been using the knife for a while and seeing how it fits in with my lifestyle.