Why have image based signatures?

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Leigh

Why have image based signatures?

Post by Leigh »

What's the deal with picture signatures? I've never understood the point of them... they clutter up the interface and break up the flow of text conversations...

I've just never understood why people want to have avatars AND signatures, especially when they are so often the same pic... anyone care to enlighten me? 8O
I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely curious :)

Admins - is there any way that you could enable an option for users to switch off signatures when they are viewing threads? Or is that option not available in this forum software?
human slave in an insect nation
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

I like the sigs......
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
garp

Post by garp »

I agree Leigh. They can be a pain on 56K ( :wink:
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Personally I think all the new guys like myself join, make a few posts, see other's sig's, envies other's sig's & eventually end up making their own sig's.

I don't see the problem with it. My sig's compressed from 86k to 10k & loads instantly on my 56k dial-up. So does most.

To each his own I reckon. Live & let live. :wink:

I don't think sig's can be disabled on this forum either. Saw someone else requesting same a while ago.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Well for me it's certainly not any speed problems (I'm on ADSL), it's purely an asthetic thing. It just looks strange to me. Actually, to be brutally honest I think that sigs are awful. But that's purely my opinion and I certainly don't expect anyone here to share it.

And it just seems so bizarre to me that people like having avatars AND signatures... especially when they're usually just random pics of anime characters or whatever, and not big political statements or anything bold like that :) I could understand big MEAT IS MURDER or whatever in a sig if someone was really desperate to make a big statement all over the forum.

To each his own indeed :)

I think it's cool that forums allow people to express themselves visually so much, but I do wish that the forum had an option for those of us who don't want to see the signature pics.
human slave in an insect nation
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I hear ya. :wink:
Narkath

Post by Narkath »

It's about presence, identity, respect and plain old graphical funness. It's also about pushing yourself to the limit; you are given so little space to do so much. I have seen 60x60 avvies that make me want to hide my stuff in shame. People start pulling out silk screen type fonts to save space and they use it in so many ways...
It has also improved my visual taste in positioning of text/images and in color. Most importantly, it keeps my photoshop skills fresh.

Oh and I am on 56k and I have no complaint. Initial load takes a while, but once it's cached, it's no problem. There is still a limit as to file size on this forum. Some of the forums I have seen, people are using animated avvies that are 50k or higher.
SybAGreY

Post by SybAGreY »

Leigh wrote:...... but I do wish that the forum had an option for those of us who don't want to see the signature pics.
I know a few ppl on NAG always browse the forums with images turned off. (On the browser). Unfortunately, that means that you don't see the avatars either.

I don't know. I never was one for sigs myself. One just kinda grew on me.
Then I turned it upside down, now I'm too lazy to change it.

Now, my forum experience is pretty much taken up by Av and Sig development, so I really don't have a problem with it.
It's almost competitive, in a way. Everyone wants to have the best one.....
Av & Sig compliments of, well, me!!!