The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Any software related topics go in here.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Re: The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by DeathStrike »

LBE Privacy Guard Monitors and Controls What Permissions Your Android Apps Have (ROOTED only)

http://lifehacker.com/5807797/lbe-priva ... -apps-have

LifeDropper Turns Your Android Phone’s Camera into an Eyedropper Tool for Real Life Colors

http://lifehacker.com/5807746/lifedropp ... ife-colors
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+Galaxy ... e21854.htm
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" Reviews: We Have a Winner
Jason Mick (Blog) - June 8, 2011 4:54 PM

Tablet is Android's long awaited (true) answer to the iPad 2

South Korean gadget maker Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (SEO:005930) was one of the first to deploy a major Android tablet, releasing the 7-inch Galaxy Tab. The small tablet wasn't exactly the "iPad-slayer" the market had been waiting for, but it occupied a unique niche in the food chain. Now Samsung is stepping up to the plate, releasing a 10.1" direct challenger to the iPad and looking to go strong, where past competitors like Motorola Mobility Solutions, Inc. (MMI) struggled.

A surprisingly slick iPad 2 design forced Samsung back to the drawing board. It responded by trimming over 2 mm off its design. In its new form, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a mere 8.6 mm thick -- 0.2 mm less than the iPad 2. And with 4G wireless connectivity, it weighs in at 595g -- 15 grams less than the iPad 2.

The tablet’s construction is also apparently high quality. Referencing the "Limited Edition" test builds that Google handed out to attendees of its I/O developers conference Engadget writes:

The consumer model is a spitting image of the LE variant, save for the motif on the rear; the one you'll pick up this month has a glossy white plastic rear, while the LE model had a glossy white plastic rear... with an Android army adorning it. Weight's the same, size is the same, build quality is the same. It's a tremendous thing to hold, and it truly oozes quality from corner to corner.

PC World adds:

In my hands-on testing, the Tab 10.1 achieved perhaps the best design compliment an Android tablet could hope for--often being mistaken by passers-by (including Apple iPad users) for an iPad 2.

Engadget seems to be the only ones who benchmarked it thoroughly, thus far. They say the tablet's 7000 mAh battery offers 10 hours of battery life when playing video at 65 percent brightness. That's only 0.5 hour less than the iPad.

Both the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab 10.1" should be similar in processing power as both pack dual-core ARMv7 proprietary CPUs (ironically Samsung manufacturers and likely helped design the iPad 2's CPU). The one advantage the Galaxy Tab 10.1" has is it packs 1 GB of DDR2 memory, versus a mere 512 MB in the iPad 2.

The 16 GB model is priced the same as the iPad 2 for the 16 GB model with Wi-Fi only -- $499 USD. As with Apple a 32 GB model ("the one with the bigger GBs") is available for $599 USD. And Verizon will be offering 4G-equipped models for $130 USD more than their respective Wi-Fi counterparts -- the same premium as with the iPad 2.

The Galaxy Tab carries a minor update to Honeycomb -- Android 3.1.

Engadget concludes:

[T]his is the best Honeycomb tablet to date, and lucky for you, the one's available to purchase! Only time will tell if the Android Market will prove to be as well-stocked as the App Store, and if you're willing to wait, this here slate provides a world-class Gmail experience, better handling than the iPad 2 (in our humble opinion, anyway) and a higher resolution display.

PCWorld chimes in:

Whether you go Wi-Fi only or opt for a connected version, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the first Android tablet that makes a credible, and successful, run at competing with Apple's iPad 2. It matches iPad in most every way-design, price, and even that intangible IT factor. Where it falls short lies is in sacrificing ports, but that alone isn't a dealbreaker; heck, Apple's been doing that from the outset. Google's Android Market continues to make it more difficult to find tablet-optimized apps than Apple's App Store does, but again, that may not be a dealbreaker. If neither of those constraints phase you, then the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is one of the top tablets you can consider buying today. And it becomes the flagship Honeycomb tablet for showcasing what Android 3.1 can do.

Note, the reviews all around were much more positive than with the Motorola Xoom, and better even that the somewhat warmly received original Galaxy Tab (7-inch model).

Sounds like the wait was worth it -- Samsung may have a winner on its hands. That would certainly be a godsend for the struggling Android tablet market.
This is the one I want. Just wish it would hurry up and be released already...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Right so how about we get some spamming done on htc's FB page after this last piece of news?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... ad+upgrade
HTC Desire won’t get a Gingerbread upgrade
Disappointment after such a long wait
By Chris Martin
Tue Jun 14 2011, 16:50

TAIWANESE SMARTPHONE MAKER HTC has announced its Desire handset will not be getting the Android upgrade it had promised.

HTC has disappointed Desire owners by telling them that they will no longer be getting the upgrade to Android 2.3 Gingerbread that it promised back in February. The announcement came only an hour ago via its Facebook page, an announcement channel we're seeing more and more.

HTC said, "Our engineering teams have been working hard for the past few months to find a way to bring Gingerbread to the HTC Desire without compromising the HTC Sense experience you've come to expect from our phones."

The post on the social notworking web site continued to explain that it wasn't possible because a lack of memory meant that the phone couldn't have both Gingerbread and HTC Sense. HTC apologised by saying, "We're sincerely sorry for the disappointment that this news may bring to some of you."

Some reactions to the post included, "thats not good more than dissapointend, may need to rethink who will get my custom when phone is due for renewal", and, "Gutted! Only got my Desire 3 months ago".

We've contacted HTC, which confirmed that the post relates only to the Desire and not other versions like the Desire HD, which has already had the upgrade to Gingerbread.

The memory is there on the Desire - 512MB to be exact - for Gingerbread but not without sacrificing HTC's Sense overlay. HTC doesn't want to do that so it would rather leave Desire users as they are and hope that they will stick with the company when they upgrade. µ
At least give us the kernel source so we can improve on the leaked version of the Desire Gingerbread build? ryan/DJV if you write up a lovely piece on what can be done with a JB iPhone consider me jumping. Its friggin painful having a great phone with little/no support from the company who released it. Sorry but I dont think I will ever go htc/android again due to the way the customer gets shafted out of updates...

/One peeved off HTC customer, they did this to the Diamond and now to the Desire...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, that's quite a fail there. Especially considering the fact that I've been running Gingerbread for quite some time now. Looks like the only users that have a good time on HTC are users that root and flash custom ROMs. I'm running Gingerbread on my rooted phone and it's pretty amazing, to be honest. But it would be ridiculous if a user HAD to go this route.

So yeah, epic fail, HTC. I'm not too bummed, but I can see how other users would be.
Anakha56 wrote:ryan/DJV if you write up a lovely piece on what can be done with a JB iPhone consider me jumping.
I don't have an iPhone, so I can't be of much help there. I could do a write-up on the iPad JB side though :P Ryan could give you a fantastic chunk of info on the iPhone JB benefits. It's pretty significant.

I'll be joining you with a move to Apple. I'm due for an upgrade next year march some time, I believe. I'll get one then.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

I am due for a upgrade next year October and I will defnitley be leaving the Android scene. The one thing that has impressed me about Apple is their support regarding software updates and it is pretty extensive, iPhone 3 getting iOS 5 is major. On the other end you have a manufacturer who cannot support the device further. Htc did say that Desire would get a Gingerbread build with the lower Sense version but it still wont fit? Dont buy it and I wont buy htc again and unless Google cleans up the upgrade process by October next year I wont be buying a Android device again.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

So...

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/06/15/h ... ngerbread/

Guess your QQ made them pull out more pew pew...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Sorry I am leaving them. Will probably get a Android tablet for the kicks (sorry Apple but yours is to big :P) but when my contract ends next year I am not going back to HTC. First the bootloader saga then this...
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

i am loving my android.

when i eventually move on to another android in 2 years i will probably use this one as a experimenting toy. :P

flashing and checking stuff out. :lol: (unless i get tired of the htc sense and decide to go flashed rom)

has anyone flashed their desire hd? are their roms available yet?
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

We got an Asus Transformer for the office today.

Cant...stop... fiddling...

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

I have finally joined the smartphone market. My device of choice: Sony Ericsson Experia Arc.

Any suggestions for aps / things I should do?
- H. L. Mancken
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

^^ Angry Birds! ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Ron2K wrote:^^ Angry Birds! ;)
please don't judge, but I installed this already.

Other thing I have installed:
battle.net mobile authenticator
unified remote
WhatsApp

I am thinking: es file explorer
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Evernote is incredibly useful. If you're a Star Wars fan, a lightsaber app is essential. Dolphin Browser HD. You need Barcode Scanner. Perhaps a nifty financial calculator. :)
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Widgets:
GoCalendar
AccuWeather.com
Antivirus
Bluetooth file transfer
Bookmark
News24
PowerSavings
SpeedCamAlert
Vlingo
Voice (if you prefer)

Apps:
Drive and Walk is useful
aCar
Amazon Kindle
BBC News
Bluetooth File transfer
Camera Fun
Google Sky map
Drop box
Hangman classic
Stupid Zombies
iBeer ;-)
Memo
Naviflix
Sleep silencer
Team Viewer

Give you more later when I am not so busy.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

TY Tribble :)
- H. L. Mancken
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

aCar is awesome. I used it for almost a year. I actually bought it so I could back up.

Then I decided to change roms (again), forgot to backup and lost all my data :(

So now I have to start again. I was quite bleak.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It is incredibly useful - RRF loaded it for me
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

ok, so far I have owned the phone for 2 days. And apart from flaky WiFi capability I am very happy.

Performance is slick and stable.

I have installed some the aps listed on the front page. I concentrated on the ones for extending battery life and control of my data traffic. I also installed Launcherpro. Great app for customising the interface.Thanks DAE, those were great suggestions.

Also installed an antivirus and aCar as per tribbles's suggestion.

Finally installed "WiFi stay alive" to help with the WiFi problem.
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Right while I am waiting for this thing to fully charge so I can root it I have been doing some digging.

For those wanting to root their Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 the link is here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1103399

Once rooted and it has a custom recovery image my next step is to apply this lovely guy, thanks goes to ryan for finding it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1095274

Next step is to get this applied, to light up the back and menu keys when a sms, mail or miss call happens:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1200262

If I find anything else thats useful I shall post here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Right. Phone rooted and flashed the Litening ROM. Quite a simple process actually. Now to get my life sorted again... :D
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Now that you have done it - do you think I could do it? Would I lose everything on my phone? I really want the flashing thing when there is a missed call. Not the message and sms so much though.

So - how easy was it and can a noob do it?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Yep I do reckon you could do it. Just follow the instructions clearly and it will be done easily enough. However you need to understand that the phone will record the amount of flashes and since you have loaded a custom ROM it will show a yellow triangle on the boot screen. To get rid of both you need a USB jig which is my next order of business, it resets the counter and gets rid of the yellow exclamation mark.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Got an HTC Sensation Wednesday, and I love it. The app I use most is an integrated VOIP client, CSipSimple, that I integrate with our soft PABX and a Wifi connection. I guess it's going to make quite a difference in my monthly bill.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Nuke wrote:Got an HTC Sensation Wednesday, and I love it. The app I use most is an integrated VOIP client, CSipSimple, that I integrate with our soft PABX and a Wifi connection. I guess it's going to make quite a difference in my monthly bill.
Thats exactly why I went from Apple back to the Android. We are getting out SIP system in place and iOS has virtually nothing free to try and see if it works. They always want you to pay first... :roll:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote:Yep I do reckon you could do it. Just follow the instructions clearly and it will be done easily enough. However you need to understand that the phone will record the amount of flashes and since you have loaded a custom ROM it will show a yellow triangle on the boot screen. To get rid of both you need a USB jig which is my next order of business, it resets the counter and gets rid of the yellow exclamation mark.
You can get rid of the exclamation mark on the boot screen without a jig. Necessary for the flash counter though yeah, so a definite must if you ever need to claim repairs under warranty. I ordered a jig and a mesh case a few minutes ago... :)