Cleaning your PC lesson 1. (CPU)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Snowflke
Location: I have trouble remembering my name let alone my location!

Post by Snowflke »

Or it could be the fact that I have 6 extra fans on my case :D . I was seriously lucky though.
Dom

Post by Dom »

That might have helped a little... :lol:
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo »

The P4 and AMD64's of today has exelent thermal handling. If it reaches a critical temperature it throttles the CPU's speed down to cool it, or it just shuts the entire system down.

@Dom:
You were lucky the motherboard still worked, I saw a CPU actually melt itslef on the motherboard, also because the heatsink wasn't properly fastened, rendering the CPU and MB useless!
Dom

Post by Dom »

Yeah, that can happen... thankfully I learnt my lesson from that one incident (probably 3 years ago now), and haven't had a single problem since! :-)
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
Prime

Post by Prime »

cap that is hilarious.

i took the fan off a pentium chip. jesh did that thing get hot fast.
Rajiv

Re: Cleaning your PC lesson 1. (CPU)

Post by Rajiv »

OK guys. i'm having trouble finding the appropriate products that i can use to clean my PC.
Can anyone help???
Is Compressed Air suitable to use - I just popped into Chaos the other day and the one sales guy showed us how it looks and gave us a demonstration - turns out a thin film of something that looked like liquid came out...
What and where can I find trusted and SUITABLE products to use to clean EVERYTHING???
"Because I don't say it...don't mean I ain't thinking it!"
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Well I use a compressor to blow my pc out now and again, it gets very dusty in the winter months up here. If I was you I would find a friend who has a compressor and use that, oh yes and air is more than suitable :wink:
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

LMAO. i won't try that.

I would love to see u "Clean your PSU" :lol:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Who? me, an air compressor is the best way of cleaning out a pc :? . I have been using a compressor since my AMD K6-2 and it still works.
capanno

Post by capanno »

I resent the fact that this thread is being used for a serious discussion on this topic.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Well it seems the cleaning PCs is something people take seriously :lol: .
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

hmm.. *Opens case and checks for dust bunnies...*

No all clear. pc cleaned. :lol:
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

Dude isnt it dangerous to clean ur pc out with compressed air cause of the moisture? just asking cause thats what i keep getting told... and cleaning ur pc is serious matter dude cause firstly, u have to do it...., secondly its a hack, and thirdly u wana do it in the quickest easiest way possible ensuring ur method is safe....

i hate dust! my mate uses a leaf blower but that cant be safe cause of the static damage it could cause.... but what i wana know is are these things facts or myths....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

The guy at Chaos Computers told me the same thing about compressed air.
The other day, me and my father decided to clean my PC with one of those low-powered vacuum-cleaners. We only had a Genesis vacuum cleaner... I sat and cleaned it with 3-4 paintbrushes - that takes a lot of effort - coupled with the fact that 'I' had to blow into the case every time I see dust... That is not quick and the dust can get to you but the result was quite satisfactory - my PC ran faster upon start-up!!!
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

The_Jelly wrote:Dude isnt it dangerous to clean ur pc out with compressed air cause of the moisture? just asking cause thats what i keep getting told... and cleaning ur pc is serious matter dude cause firstly, u have to do it...., secondly its a hack, and thirdly u wana do it in the quickest easiest way possible ensuring ur method is safe....

i hate dust! my mate uses a leaf blower but that cant be safe cause of the static damage it could cause.... but what i wana know is are these things facts or myths....
Well that is why I have a moisture filter on the outlet, and yea I hate a duty PC I clean mine every 2 months :) . most compressors have a a valve on the bottom so that you can drain any moisture that has collected and there is usually a warning notice telling you to do this every few months so I would not worry to much about the moisture :wink:

So yea most of these things are just myths, spread by companies wanting you to buy expensive equipment to clean you PC. But there is one myth that is true, if you use a paint brush to clean your PC it can cause damage to your PC because it builds up static charges :shock: . But as long as you use an anti static brush then you will be fine.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Rajiv wrote:The guy at Chaos Computers told me the same thing about compressed air.
The other day, me and my father decided to clean my PC with one of those low-powered vacuum-cleaners. We only had a Genesis vacuum cleaner... I sat and cleaned it with 3-4 paintbrushes - that takes a lot of effort - coupled with the fact that 'I' had to blow into the case every time I see dust... That is not quick and the dust can get to you but the result was quite satisfactory - my PC ran faster upon start-up!!!
Did you just say that removing dust makes you PC faster, never heard that one before :lol: I love how the dust almost instantly disappears from you pc when you give it a good blast of compressed air :D . I once had to clean a really dusty pc(you could not even see the Ram there was so much dust :shock: ) and all I saw was this black cloud come out of the back of the pc when I started blasting it with the compressor :lol: .
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Seriously...it did seem to be way faster!!!
Don't judge me...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Rajiv wrote:Seriously...it did seem to be way faster!!!
Don't judge me...
I doubt that it was actually faster, it was just clean ans shiny so you thought it was faster. It was all in your head :lol:
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Watever floats your boat..
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Strange I am not anywhere near water :lol:
But really dude, I don't think cleaning you pc is going to make it much faster
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Shot!
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

what got shot?
Brad2.0

Post by Brad2.0 »

At work we use a mini blower, its like R300 at MAkro, trade centre etc. It s like a mini leaf blower works fine
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

^^ Yea those work well too :) , I have seen some people use water mixed with dish-washing liquid to clean their PC's :? . It works very well and makes everything shine like new again but you have to make sure that you dry it out properly or you will fry something if you don't get all the moisture out :shock: .

Obviously they don't use that method for HDD's/optical drives and PSU's. Just the mobo, GFX card......
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

I would not trust that!!! Water and electricity don't mix! Just can't bare the thought of putting an expensive piece of electrical equiptment into water! So compressed air and mini leaf blowers are the best so far! And where could I get an anti static brush from?
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |