Upgrade Time

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Upgrade Time

Post by Kronos »

Hi Guys,

It's that time of the Century again, when I can afford to Upgrade my PC (Read buy a new PC)

I've Decided on some of the basic technology, and need advice on some other tech. However, if anyone has any comments on my ideas, feel free.
For some background as to the use of the PC.
I'm a Gamer and a programmer. However, my home PC will mostly be used for gaming and media. I would rather not use it for any kind of programming.
Therefore, I need something that will run all the latest games, and will last at least a few years, at least in terms of being upgradeable in the future.
I'm not into overclocking, So it's also not as if I'm going to be playing around with that either.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Case => Coolermaster HAF-X
PSU => Coolermaster Silent Pro M700 (Because of Modular Cables)
CPU => Intel Core i7 2600K
Mobo => Undecided*
RAM => Undecided**
Graphics => Undecided***
Sound => Asus Xonar D2X
Storage => Seagate 2TB SATA 6GB/s
DVD => LG DVD/RW
Screen => Samsung 24" LED
Speakers => I currently have a Logitech LS21 2.1 system, but if I need to upgrade, I might look at the Krator Neso2 2.1
Keyboard => I'll be keeping my MS Sidewinder X6 Keyboard
Mouse => I'll be keeping my MS Sidewinder X8 Mouse

*Mobo:
As I've stated, I'm not into Overclocking, so I don't know if I'd get the full value out of something like the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme. Does it really justify the extra cash over, say, the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe?
Or should I rather look at the Gigabyte GA-P67A UDx Series? UD5 or UD7? (The Gigabyte looks better IMO ;)

**RAM
This is the most confusing part to me. I have no idea where to begin?
Obviously, as the P67 Chipset Supports Dual Channel DDR3 up to 2133mhz this is what I should be looking at, but what exactly?
Corsair Dominator or XMS3?
OCZ?
Transcend?
2x4GB or 4x2GB?
Please help :)

***Graphics
I was looking at the ASUS GTX570. Is it worth it? Will it last a while? or is a GTX580 worth the extra R2k?

I'd appreciate any and all help I can get while setting this up.

Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Upgrade Time

Post by StarBound »

Finally I can contribute to chaos MHU HA HA HA *cough* ...

Commenting on RAM I don't see the point of going to anything over 1333 ddr3 if your not overclocking but I might be wrong. I myself have a 8gb of ddr3 2000mhz ram that's downclocked due to motherboard compatibility issues. As far as amounts goes I'd say get 8gb of 2x4gb or 2gb x 4. You'll be glad you went for 8gb after a while since most programs tend to complain when the page file is disabled. With 8gb they dont.

Graphics cards I've had the 5870 and was pleased and now have 2 560ti cards in SLI. I take your a Nvidia fan since you didnt mention AMD. I'd recommend getting a pair of 560ti cards and running them in SLI. 1 card is capable of hitting 60fps in most games maxxed out anyway and having a 2nd one working its SLI magic will send you over 60 at ease when the next batch of games hit the shelves.
PS make sure your board supports SLI since Intel seems to have a problem with not putting support for it on the boards.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Make sure your board layout allows you to use your xonar. Some boards wont let it fit with a graphics card around.
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Kronos wrote: As I've stated, I'm not into Overclocking, so I don't know if I'd get the full value out of something like the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme. Does it really justify the extra cash over, say, the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe?
Personal opinion, but no.
Kronos wrote:Or should I rather look at the Gigabyte GA-P67A UDx Series? UD5 or UD7? (The Gigabyte looks better IMO ;)
Personal opinion (*dons flame retardent suit*), yes. I suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of the other really. I've just enjoyed more stability with Gigabyte over the years.
Kronos wrote:**RAM
This is the most confusing part to me. I have no idea where to begin?
Obviously, as the P67 Chipset Supports Dual Channel DDR3 up to 2133mhz this is what I should be looking at, but what exactly?
Corsair Dominator or XMS3?
OCZ?
Transcend?
2x4GB or 4x2GB?
For your purposes, whatever is cheapest, imo. 2x4GB would obviously give you more headroom for upgrading.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Pick one.

R2492 Asus Sabertooth Rev-B3 Intel P67

R2584 Sapphire PB-Ci7S42P67 PURE Black Rev-B3 Intel P67

R3304 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 LGA1155 DDR3 (New B3 Sandybridge) SLI/CrossFireX
Stuart wrote:
Kronos wrote:Or should I rather look at the Gigabyte GA-P67A UDx Series? UD5 or UD7? (The Gigabyte looks better IMO ;)
Personal opinion (*dons flame retardent suit*), yes. I suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of the other really. I've just enjoyed more stability with Gigabyte over the years.
Not with a R900 difference between the two.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

RuadRauFlessa wrote: Not with a R900 difference between the two.
Well, clearly not. I was assuming competitive pricing. ;)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Was searching for
R 3,831 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3
and came upon
R 2,298 Asus Sabertooth Rev-B3 Intel P67

Hmm can shave another R20 from that
R 2,270 Asus Sabertooth Rev-B3 Intel P67
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

If I can maybe suggest something. Instead of getting a 24" screen rather get something smaller. My screen is 22.5" and it's native resolution is 1920x1080. While most games runs okay with it now, some games requires the resolution to be lower to make the game playable. Anything lower than 1920x1080 looks terrible on such a large screen.

So I'm thinking that since you are planning to make this upgrade last a long time I suggest you get something with a lower native resolution. It will last you longer. If you are going 24" you really need to get a top of the range card maybe even the GTX590. This is all however from a personal point of view. I'm sure many others here will be sure to say something different.

Also as for the DVD drive, maybe worth looking at the BluRay drives. They are getting cheaper but still a tad expensive.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I'm not going to comment on components, but for a vendor, compare prices with www.LandmarkPC.co.za
You might save a few bucks.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I dont recommend places. I just recommend hardware :P
My Steam Screenshots

KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I would say go for some Kingston HyperX Grey DDR3-2133 8GB kit.

For the GPU the GTX 570 will do the job well. The mobo you can fit to your budget but any Gigabyte, Asus or MSI in my books is a good board.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Also, I like the chassis. I'm also looking to get one :)
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Are there any thoughts on the ASUS Sabretooth P67 TUF?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Thoughts many... all delightful. You mentioned to me that your issue is the memory speeds on the P8P67 vs the Sabretooth... Well afaik you are not going to OC so I don't see the point of going for 2133mhz RAM. Also you yourself noted that you will have one extra usable PCIe 1 slot available. For all it might count.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Thoughts many... all delightful. You mentioned to me that your issue is the memory speeds on the P8P67 vs the Sabretooth... Well afaik you are not going to OC so I don't see the point of going for 2133mhz RAM.
So, in your opinion, Memory running natively at 2133Mhz is not faster than memory running natively at 1866Mhz? :?
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Also you yourself noted that you will have one extra usable PCIe 1 slot available. For all it might count.
Although I can't think of any...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Kronos wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Thoughts many... all delightful. You mentioned to me that your issue is the memory speeds on the P8P67 vs the Sabretooth... Well afaik you are not going to OC so I don't see the point of going for 2133mhz RAM.
So, in your opinion, Memory running natively at 2133Mhz is not faster than memory running natively at 1866Mhz? :?
Unless you are planning to OC you can not get to 2133MHz natively on the P8P67. Those are OC values only. So yes I would say the 1866MHz on the Sabretooth you don't have to OC for is probably a bonus :P
Kronos wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Also you yourself noted that you will have one extra usable PCIe 1 slot available. For all it might count.
Although I can't think of any...
Me neither.... But you have to concede that board looks like the personification of awesome
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Kronos wrote:
Unless you are planning to OC you can not get to 2133MHz natively on the P8P67. Those are OC values only. So yes I would say the 1866MHz on the Sabretooth you don't have to OC for is probably a bonus :P
As I tried to explain, but you must have been asleep already... :P
Ever heard of the P67s Turbo Boost?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

You can not control Turbo Boost by yourself and it is something which is affected by how busy the OS thinks the CPU is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

It will automatically adjust the frequency at which the clock runs with either 133MHz or 100MHz incriments depending on the processor you have installed. It also controls the amount of power delivered to the CPU dynamically. This is over and above any overclocking you may or may not have done. Also I can find no reference that indicates that Turbo Boost will in any way adjust memory clock speeds. Everything I have seen however indicates that it is adjusted independently as it would be every other system.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Get the Sabertooth-it's got a 5 year warranty and a good motherboard will save you in the long run.
Get low voltage 1.5v RAM at 1600mhz and lowest CAS timings possible.
Get an Nvidia 560ti graphics card with after market cooler for silence.
Corsair H70 cooler
Corsair Modular PSU rating 850watts or there abouts-wattage isn't a problem, it's amps with Sandy machines.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

The 5 year warranty is only on the heat spreader not on the whole board :P Also they are currently on back order... no stock available... a lot of places I have talked to over the past couple of days said they are waiting for stock.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Animal

Upgrade Time

Post by Animal »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:The 5 year warranty is only on the heat spreader not on the whole board :P Also they are currently on back order... no stock available... a lot of places I have talked to over the past couple of days said they are waiting for stock.
Was at Matrix today. They have 4 of them on the shelf, but their price is a bit crazy.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Hehehe... they are cheaper than any ASUS R.O.G board out there and 90% of the top end Gigabyte.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

How much are they asking for the Sabretooth, Animal?
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,