Windows 7 gaming

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
ineedmoney18

Windows 7 gaming

Post by ineedmoney18 »

Ha forgive me if this double post i cant find anything.

My Question is is there a difference in gaming performance between Windows 7 home/ professional and ultimate ??

also will 64bits hold me back in any games?

I am buying the OS tomorrow and I cant see why Ultimate is better just because it has bit locker and lang support. The price diff is like R600-R1000 :O
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: Windows 7 gaming

Post by Hman »

No difference.

Why would it?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
ineedmoney18

Post by ineedmoney18 »

Just wondering, I am a bit cheap now and again.

So I will even consider Home premium 64bits. It just I dont want to buy home now and want to upgrade next year... the OS that is.

Just want to see if them features are worth the price:/
garp

Post by garp »

I'm quite happy with windows 7 Pro... I think it’s a good compromise between home premium and ultimate
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
garp

Post by garp »

ineedmoney18 wrote:Just wondering, I am a bit cheap now and again.

So I will even consider Home premium 64bits. It just I dont want to buy home now and want to upgrade next year... the OS that is.

Just want to see if them features are worth the price:/

Edit: oh and pro and ultimate both come with 32 and 64 Bit in the box (same used for both) Not sure about the "home" Editions

soz double post... Clicked reply instead of edit... whoops.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

My Home Premium came with both 32bit and 64bit. I dont have any issues with gaming and I am using the 64bit version.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
ineedmoney18

Post by ineedmoney18 »

Thanks guys I love the replies,

Think Ill choose between Home and pro 64bits though,

Cheers
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Any version you buy comes standard with 32 and 64 bit version, no need to choose.
As for pure gaming, no need to go with pro or ultimate, not even home premium.
The vanilla basic version is adequate.
ineedmoney18

Post by ineedmoney18 »

Thats good to hear aslong as I dont need to upgrade for minor reason ...
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Sojourn wrote:Any version you buy comes standard with 32 and 64 bit version, no need to choose.
As for pure gaming, no need to go with pro or ultimate, not even home premium.
The vanilla basic version is adequate.
+1.

Other than gaming, here is a list of features of each version:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ts/compare
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Sojourn wrote:Any version you buy comes standard with 32 and 64 bit version, no need to choose.
Not true:
  • Only the retail versions (except Home Basic and Starter, see below) contains both 32-bit and 64-bit installation media. System builders utilizing DSP versions have to choose one or the other per system.
  • The Home Basic retail version does not include 64-bit media; this can however be obtained from Microsoft on request.
  • There is no 64-bit version of the Starter edition - which is available in South Africa, although I fail to understand why anyone in their right mind would actually use it... :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Ron2K wrote:
Not true
Partially true != not true
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

The condition "partially true" does not exist - a condition can only be true or false (not true).

Your statement was false.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

It does not mean my initial info was not partially correct. :P
senile

Post by senile »

IcePick88 wrote: Other than gaming, here is a list of features of each version:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ts/compare
Is this really all difference between Home Premium and Ultimate?

Windows XP Mode
Domain Join.
Backup and Restore to a network.
BitLocker.
35 languages.

That is pathetic. Come on tell me there's more in the Ultimate edition than that, worth R2000 extra.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Windows XP Mode.
Domain Join.
- Those two above means nothing to a home user in most cases, but to a business running legacy software and a domain it is a non-neg scenario.

Backup and Restore to a network.
BitLocker.
- Can be done by 3rd party.
senile

Post by senile »

They should call it Business edition not Ultimate edition. There is nothing ultimate about it!
Sweetbubbahoot

Post by Sweetbubbahoot »

If you are buying Home premium retail pack that comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions you can at any time buy an upgrade disk from online retailers like http://www.prophecy.co.za. The only major differences are that 32bit OS limits you to around 3Gigs of ram. And also if you have lower editions of windows like home basic you wont be able to support ram over about 8Gigs. Also there are some programs like certain firewalls and certain older games that dont cooperate with 64bit os that well. So if you want to have a lot of ram, go for 64bit, but if you just need 3 gb go 32bit instead, as Windows 64 bit takes up a lot of ram. For instance ultimate in 64 bit takes up almost 3 gigs of ram essentially forcing you to have 8 gigs of ram in your system.