Some network hardware advise please

Network problem solving and tweaks
uberchef

Post by uberchef »

Hey Guys,

I want to hook up to a mate’s router that is properly about 5 houses away in a complex (with 3 houses in the direct way). Is it possible to do it wirelessly or is it too far? If not too far, any recommendations on some good wireless cards? Don’t really want to dig up neighbour’s yards laying network cable.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Some network hardware advise please

Post by hamin_aus »

Sounds like it's too far for standard wireless.

You could get a wireless booster - an antenna that plugs into your router and boosts the broadcast signal - but even then, through 3 houses in a complex... might just be wasting money
uberchef

Post by uberchef »

Bummer! I guess is a day of laying cable then. Thanks for the advice.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Would it not be cheaper and ultimately easier to just get your own internet?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I reckon any attempt at wireless is just going to frustrate you no end. Also consider the fact that most ISPs are not going to smile at the idea of neighbours sharing an account.
uberchef

Post by uberchef »

Not really. He is my brother in law and we both own property in the same complex so no one is going anywhere in a hurry. He pays about R300pm for line and data so we gonna split it down the middle. Also he has a huge library of media which we can share, not to mention easy LANing!
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

You'll need a WRT54G with 7Dbi directional anatanne, Alfa AWSU036H with 9Dbi addon (not the B revision version) and it might work. Otherwise just take a CAT5e shielded cable across but get permission first.
Last edited by JollyJamma on 05 Apr 2011, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
uberchef

Post by uberchef »

Stuart wrote:I reckon any attempt at wireless is just going to frustrate you no end. Also consider the fact that most ISPs are not going to smile at the idea of neighbours sharing an account.
You reckon the ISP’s can see if two different people on one line? Without actually coming out to the properties? Hope not. Not going to use it for heavy usage, just some internet, updates and a bit of gaming maybe.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

If you want to do it the proper way, get two NanoBridges M5 25db from Miro, connect them together, and you will be able to get around 50mbps of real traffic through.

It is possible for for an ISP to see it he was behind a router too, by checking the TTL on the packets coming from you. But truth be told, I don't think they really care. We have been doing it for years.
uberchef

Post by uberchef »

JollyJamma wrote:You'll need a WRT54G with 7Dbi directional anatanne, Alfa AWSU036H with 9Dbi addon (not the B revision version) and it might work. Otherwise just take a CAT5e shielded cable across but get permission first.
Laying CAT5 seems to be the way to go. Those directional antennas can be a bit tricky in the Cape, with all the wind.
uberchef

Post by uberchef »

I like the nanobridges. Are they outside mounted?
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Yes you mount them on the outside on a tv bracket with a 1m or 1.5m aluminum mast. If you do that with the right tools I don't think its going anywhere in the wind. If you are worried, get the 22db dish instead, its smaller, thus less wind load.
I don't think they come with a PoE adapter. You will have to buy that separate. But I don't think the PoE+24v PSU will be more than R100.
naughty

Post by naughty »

You reckon the ISP’s can see if two different people on one line? Without actually coming out to the properties?
i dont think they can see that its two different PC's physically at different locations - they will probably think that its just multiple PC's in a home network in one physical location - you are allowed to network up to 4 pc's on one telkom router - so theres no way they will know if its in a flat three doors away or connected to a PC in the next room
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Just keep the 100m rule in mind if you go the cable route. ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
uberchef

Post by uberchef »

Could the new CAT6 network cables go further than 100m without the need of any boosters? Houses only about 40m apart but laying the cable neatly along the walls and underground it could very well surpass the 100m mark. I haven’t worked with the CAT6 but I hear you can’t ‘pull’ it as you could with CAT5, but rather have to lay it from point to point.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I'd say first get permission from neighbors.
Then get inexpensive wool and lay it out on the route you want to take end-to-end.
Then remove the wool string and measure.

Your 1st prize will be cable - its cheaper, and more reliable and possibly faster.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

uberchef wrote:
Stuart wrote:I reckon any attempt at wireless is just going to frustrate you no end. Also consider the fact that most ISPs are not going to smile at the idea of neighbours sharing an account.
You reckon the ISP’s can see if two different people on one line? Without actually coming out to the properties? Hope not. Not going to use it for heavy usage, just some internet, updates and a bit of gaming maybe.
Probably not, and unless you're doing insane amounts of data they probably won't even bother checking anyway. I'm just saying.
Sojourn wrote:I'd say first get permission from neighbors.
Then get inexpensive wool and lay it out on the route you want to take end-to-end.
Then remove the wool string and measure.

Your 1st prize will be cable - its cheaper, and more reliable and possibly faster.
Lol, when I first read "inexpensive wool" I was thinking, "WTH? Sojourn trolling?" I had a vivid image in my mind of multicoloured jerseys strewn across the guy's back lawn.

Then I read the "string" part. :oops: