limit bandwidth

Network problem solving and tweaks
Mclaren

limit bandwidth

Post by Mclaren »

i am looking to know how to limit a users bandwidth on a home network.

on a per day / per user basis on one machine.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: limit bandwidth

Post by Ron2K »

Could be done with a Mikrotik (if you want to throttle the machine) or some sort of proxy server (if you want to cap the machine).

Alternatively, this may also do the trick:
Spoiler (show)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

:D I'd like to be able to control my sister's usage
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Mclaren wrote:i am looking to know how to limit a users bandwidth on a home network.
Sign them up for Telkom ADSL

*Zing*

But seriously, you have provided no information on your "home network" topology or hardware.
How does this machine connect to the internet? Directly to the router, via a proxy server or via ICS?
What make of router?
Wireless or wired?
etc etc ad infinitum
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

i was looking for a software app that might work, but....

i am connecting via:
SP:Neotel
Router Name: axess.tel
Router type: CDMA 1xEV-DO Rev A.
Connection to router: Wired and Direct
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Are the people you want to limit tech-savvy/

If not just install Netlimiter or something similar and use it to limit their bandwidth in browsers, torrent apps etc
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

not tech savy, will check it out.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

tried netlimiter, but not easy, maybe i am not grasping it.

i cannot see anywhere where i can make a setting like: allow user "blah" 100mb data per day.

this ultimatly all i want to be able to do.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page