Can you beat a computer at rock-paper-scissors?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Can you beat a computer at rock-paper-scissors?

Post by Ron2K »

The New York Times has created a game that uses artificial intelligence to outsmart you. It uses a simple game called Rock-Paper-Scissors which is pretty much known by everyone on the planet by now. The computer tries to mimic human reasoning by building on simple rules and statistical averages. So based on the rules of the game and your previous moves, the computer tries to make predictions on your next move. The game has 2 modes, the first being Novice, where the computer learns the game from scratch, and Veteran, where the computer has experience of over 200,000 rounds of previous experience
Source

I'd like to see the computer try to beat me at rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock... :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Re: Can you beat a computer at rock-paper-scissors?

Post by KatrynKat »

wonder if there will be any difference if you up the anti and play Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock.......
the one that has the highest "killing" capability will 99% of the time win....
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

That's just it - they are all either high or low in capability - dependant on what the opposition presents.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

What if your selection is completely random? An elaborate method would be to write a computer program that generates a move. (Or pulling it out of a hat)

Or what about beating the system at it's own game? If you select randomly, find out after a few tries what it will statistically select to beat you and then counter it.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Is it even possible to ever be random? There are statistics which will be able to prove whatever set of manoeuvres you randomly select. Even when drawing from a hat there are probability factors at play. In Excel there is an addin for a random number generator. I have often wondered how random it is really.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Well, I beat the computer over 20 rounds. Won 9, tied 4 and lost 7. What do I win?
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

a noddy badge..... a pat on the back.... a SAD day.......
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So iRon gets RAD and I get SAD? That's just not right.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

RAD = Ron Appreciation Day...
SAD = Stuart Appreciation Day.....

it just sounds better with Ron's initials......
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/off topic

Sturat's appreciation day should rather be MAD... :P

/off topic

Will try when lunch rolls around...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I second that - MAD - Mouse Appreciation Day
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

8 wins, 5 ties, 7 losses...... 20 rounds on novice level.....

///MAD as the Mad Mouse at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.... :)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Um technically he was a dormouse

Mousey is not this cute
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

100 games.
Wins for me 24
Wins for AI 45
Ties 31

I'd say that predictive manner by looking at historical choices are at minimum somewhat accurate.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Sojourn wrote:100 games.
Wins for me 24
Wins for AI 45
Ties 31

I'd say that predictive manner by looking at historical choices are at minimum somewhat accurate.
Who the hell has time to play 100 games of this thing? :shock:
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Stuart wrote:
Sojourn wrote:100 games.
Wins for me 24
Wins for AI 45
Ties 31

Who the hell has time to play 100 games of this thing? :shock:
Easy, you randomly spam it, not even 3 minutes.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

-Prometheus- wrote:
Stuart wrote:So iRon gets RAD and I get SAD? That's just not right.
What? You get seasonal affective disorder?
Nope - Ron Appreciation Day vs Stuart Appreciation Day. We since decided that Stuart would be MAD instead of SAD (Mouse Appreciation Day)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

No. But i will certainly kick its behind at kick boxing
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

-Prometheus- wrote:
Stuart wrote:So iRon gets RAD and I get SAD? That's just not right.
What? You get seasonal affective disorder?
Actually, winter is my favourite season.