All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by ryanrich »

You can only make it so that it doesn't give a message preview, but it'll still pop up saying that you have a new message and the number it's from. Annoying I know, I've left feedback on the iPhone page for them, and I think many other people have as well.

They're in the process of completely redoing the notifications system and I think it'll be introduced in iOS 5 in a few months. Android has a far better notifications system, so I hope to see something similar...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I dont know if I should laugh or cry...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... 2B+warning
Opera arrives on Apple's App Store with a 17+ warning
Should interest the kidz
By Lawrence Latif
Fri Mar 04 2011, 10:58

WEB BROWSER DEVELOPER Opera become the first third party web browser on Apple's App Store but it was slapped with a 17+ age rating.

Opera seemed to take the certification in good humour, with Jan Standal, VP of desktop products for Opera Software saying he was very concerned with the age restriction. Standal continued, "Seventeen is very young, and I am not sure if, at that age, people are ready to use such an application," and suggested that maybe Apple should have increased the age limit to 18.

It's not clear why Apple put the age restriction on Opera's web browser, and like most things that have age restrictions slapped on them, it is only likely to increase interest from those who do not meet the criteria.

Opera also took the opportunity to have a dig at Apple's App Store, saying users can simply download the browser from its website, adding, "We do not ask for your age or your credit card number. Please, get your parents' permission before using this browser."

Apple has until now been highly selective when it comes to allowing third party web browsers on its App Store. For Opera the fact that Apple has put an age restriction on its browser only adds to its victory.

After all, not only has the firm managed to get its product on the App Store, Apple has done it a favour and given it free publicity, plus the flavour of forbidden fruit for some. µ
*shakes head*

Still trying to deate if I should fork out extra money I dont have and get one of the new iPads...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Looks like there's a chance of me getting a R4k subsidy from work toward a tablet of my choice. Sweet!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:Looks like there's a chance of me getting a R4k subsidy from work toward a tablet of my choice. Sweet!
:( I r jealous :(

BTW Dont go for the Samsung here is why:

http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstech ... ipad-2.ars
iPad 2 has Samsung fixated on "inadequate" aspects of new Galaxy Tab
By Casey Johnston | Last updated about 3 hours ago

The iPad 2 that Apple announced this week is already making competing manufacturers second-guess themselves. Samsung in particular is feeling pressure to step up to the iPad 2's level—"we will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," Lee Don-joo, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile division, told the Yonhap News Agency.

Announcing the iPad 2's svelte form factor appeared to be a proud moment for Steve Jobs at the product's event yesterday as he landed blows against other tablet manufacturers for being "copycats," Samsung among them. The iPad 2 measures 8.8mm, about 4mm thinner than the original iPad and 3mm thinner than the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that Samsung just announced last month.

The first Galaxy Tab managed to scrape under the first iPad's thickness measurements at just under 12mm, but its out-of-contract price was higher than the iPad's. Samsung was going to vault the price of their 10-inch Galaxy Tab even higher than the original's, but now the company "will have to think that over, " Lee said.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Look, if you want a Tablet, go iPad. There is nothing better, period.

If not, don't.

A Galaxy now, is a waste of money (in my opinion). A Xoom is good, in fact very good, but an iPad is by far the best tablet.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Look the Galaxy may be a lot of money - but it is fantastic. I have been playing with mine almost constantly for the past few days and have no complaints. Granted - I have not played with the iPad so cannot compare. Just from a user perspective, it is friendly, comfortable, quick and there are so many apps and games available. And it is oh so beautiful. The sound isn't bad either. I eventually managed to find a cover and screen protector so I can take it out with me. I bought one of those 2gb sims from Cell C so I WiFi at home and use 3G or Hsdpa when I am out and about. It does Skype perfectly and now I can actually talk to my contacts instead of typing. There are of course Twitter and FB apps and it does the whole Gtalk too.

I must admit - I was surprised that it cost more than the iPad. I tried looking at the iPad in stores but most don't have stock or every alternate branch only keeps them. But I am very happy with my overpriced piece of technology ;-)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, look, I was leaning heavily toward the Galaxy until the iPad 2 was announced. Now, apart from expandable storage and portability (size-wise) I don't see any benefit to the Galaxy Tab. And even the expandable storage isn't really an issue for me. I've not even used the total built-in memory on my last two cell phones, so I reckon that 16gb would be plenty space for me on a tablet.

I guess the only hitch would be if it doesn't hit Australian shores before my friend comes back. Then I'd have to look at paying shipping and import duties.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I love Slice it. And PvZ. And Angry Birds
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Stuart wrote:Ja, look, I was leaning heavily toward the Galaxy until the iPad 2 was announced. Now, apart from expandable storage and portability (size-wise) I don't see any benefit to the Galaxy Tab. And even the expandable storage isn't really an issue for me. I've not even used the total built-in memory on my last two cell phones, so I reckon that 16gb would be plenty space for me on a tablet.

I guess the only hitch would be if it doesn't hit Australian shores before my friend comes back. Then I'd have to look at paying shipping and import duties.

And the fact that iPad3 is due out for Xmas does not bother you>
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

lancelot wrote:
Stuart wrote:Ja, look, I was leaning heavily toward the Galaxy until the iPad 2 was announced. Now, apart from expandable storage and portability (size-wise) I don't see any benefit to the Galaxy Tab. And even the expandable storage isn't really an issue for me. I've not even used the total built-in memory on my last two cell phones, so I reckon that 16gb would be plenty space for me on a tablet.

It's the perpetual upgrade thing. Just wait a few months till the new version is out. Then don't buy it immediately, but wait a few months for a price drop. But then you should wait because the new version is around the corner, but don't buy it immediately because the price is sure to drop in a few months.

At some point you need to buy something.

I'm happy to wait for the iPad 2 to get the front and rear camera and slightly better specs, but at that point I'll be ready to buy something already.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

lancelot wrote:

There's absolutely nothing but rumours around that. In fact, Apple actually shot that down a few day ago. There's no iPad 3 coming this year.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

So I found a few awesome home screen wallpapers...
My current one is:
From iphonewzealand.co.nz/

(I wish there was a black version, but there isn't :( )
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

iPad 1 prices have dropped quite nicely in SA, so unless you specifically need the iPad 2 features it might be worth considering...

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Nice. I'm still looking a v. 2 though, and now I have another friend going to the States in early April who is willing to bring one back for me. Choices, choices . . .
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

April is close, go for that...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I see that, at the Apple Store in the US, the 3G iPads are priced with AT&T or Verizon. It says, "Select the model that corresponds with the carrier you'd like to use for 3G service. The iPad you choose is configured to work only with one carrier." Does that mean if I guy a 3G version it won't work in SA? I thought they worked anywhere.

Although I must admit I'm beginning to wonder if tethering with a phone is not the way to go for 3G coverage.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Monty wrote:(I wish there was a black version, but there isn't :( )
here you go:

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:I see that, at the Apple Store in the US, the 3G iPads are priced with AT&T or Verizon. It says, "Select the model that corresponds with the carrier you'd like to use for 3G service. The iPad you choose is configured to work only with one carrier." Does that mean if I guy a 3G version it won't work in SA? I thought they worked anywhere.

Although I must admit I'm beginning to wonder if tethering with a phone is not the way to go for 3G coverage.
Nah, I think it has more to do with the fact that AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. Should perhaps find out for sure though. I think I'll be going with the phone tethering option if I need to use 3G data on it.

LOL @ GreyWolf! :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So you reckon at AT&T one would work on our networks?
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Update 4.3 has been released, currently installing it on my iPhone. Looking forward to this update!
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Stuart wrote:So you reckon at AT&T one would work on our networks?
Get a Galaxy Tab - it works :twisted:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

It would appear so Mr Stu!

Apple Confirms: iPad 2 3G AT&T Model from US Unlocked

I'll also hear this week if I'll be able to get one from the US or another country, otherwise I'll be going for a cheap local iPad 1, but an iPad I shall have! :D
Animal

Post by Animal »

Don't know if this applies to the Ipad, but I had an Iphone 2g and 3g that was network locked to at&t. Couldn't use it on mtn or vodacom. Had to jailbreak and unlock it to work with S.A service providers.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Animal wrote:
Don't know if this applies to the Ipad, but I had an Iphone 2g and 3g that was network locked to at&t. Couldn't use it on mtn or vodacom. Had to jailbreak and unlock it to work with S.A service providers.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Yeah I also had an original iPhone 2G that was network locked. Doesn't apply to the iPad at all, the original was unlocked from day 1 and it's carried over to the iPad 2.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

So the reviews are starting to come in and so far they're all really positive, especially around the look and feel of the device and the increase in speed.

When reading the Engadget review I was surprised to see how bad the Galaxy Tab's battery life is compared to the iPad, considering it's thickness and smaller screen.

iPad 2 review
It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market. As much as we'd like to say that something like the Xoom has threatened Apple's presence in this space, it's difficult (if not impossible) to do that. Is the iPad 2 a perfect product? Absolutely not. The cameras are severely lacking, the screen -- while extremely high quality -- is touting last year's spec, and its operating system still has significant annoyances, like the aggravating pop-up notifications. At a price point of $499, and lots of options after that (like more storage and models that work on both Verizon's and AT&T's 3G networks), there's little to argue about in the way of price, and in terms of usability, apps like GarageBand prove that we haven't even scratched the surface of what the iPad can do.

For owners of the previous generation, we don't think Apple's put a fire under you to upgrade. Unless you absolutely need cameras on your tablet, you've still got a solid piece of gear that reaps plenty of the benefits of the latest OS and apps. For those of you who haven't yet made the leap, feel free to take a deep breath and dive in -- the iPad 2 is as good as it gets right now. And it's really quite good.