Intel’s CEO speaks on Nokia-M$ partnership

Any news articles that the G3AR team posts will go in here.
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

Intel’s CEO speaks on Nokia-M$ partnership

Post by Drakonis »

He mad?
Paul Otellini, Intel’s CEO, has spoken out on the recent adoption of Windows Phone 7 by Nokia, saying that the handset maker’s decision to go with Microsoft’s offering rather than Google Android or Intel’s own MeeGo platform was ‘financially motivated’. Nokia officially partnered with Microsoft last week, dropping both the MeeGo platform and their own Symbian operating system
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Intel’s CEO speaks on Nokia-M$ partnership

Post by KALSTER »

Damnit! Who is going to make a decent Meego phone now? Was really looking forward to the N9. :(
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

N9 should still be meeGo. I don't see them changing it this close to the official release date.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I hope so. ;) If it is a Meego phone, then it will do the job for quite some time to come as far as I see. Enthusiastic Maemo app developing for the N900 was still going steady last time I checked.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Reports I've read states that Nokia will still release one Meego device this year. But there are other hardware in the works. SE has a sample board and rumours are that Intel themselves are working on processor to power a phone running Meego.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I heard there is a possibility that the N9 might come out with a dual core Atom. Wouldn't that be something! In the mean time, the E7 looks pretty good, apart from a slightly average CPU and it still running on Symbian. The E7 looks like some of the "leaked photos" of the new N9, so who knows what it really looks like?
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I doubt the N9 would have a Atom inside, it's still a bit too power thirsty. It will most probably run some form of ARM chip.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Paul Otellini, Intel’s CEO, has spoken out on the recent adoption of Windows Phone 7 by Nokia, saying that the handset maker’s decision to go with Microsoft’s offering rather than Google Android or Intel’s own MeeGo platform was ‘financially motivated’.
Well, Intel's guy can think what he wants. Stephen Elop said that it pretty much balances out at the end of the day. Sure, Nokia may be benefiting financially, or they may be paying MS, but in that same breath, MS is also benefiting financially, or paying Nokia. Either way, it's all balancing out (as per Elop).

Also, Nokia did say that they'll still be shipping Meego and Symbian devices this year.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Probably yeah. Rumours on upcoming cellphones are nearly always overly hopeful. Rumours on it include a 12MP camera AND 1GB RAM AND the X2 Atom CPU AND Full DivX support etc. That would be a fantastic phone, but much too optimistic!
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

KALSTER wrote:Probably yeah. Rumours on upcoming cellphones are nearly always overly hopeful. Rumours on it include a 12MP camera AND 1GB RAM AND the X2 Atom CPU AND Full DivX support etc. That would be a fantastic phone, but much too optimistic!
Ironic then, that the phone will cost more than a small note pad and skype phone... :wink:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"