All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Any hardware related topics go here.
shiv

Re: All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Post by shiv »

ryanrich wrote:I wouldn't want a Symbian phone now even if it was free.

What network are you on? If you're on Vodacom I'd wait for the Nexus S as it is coming to SA on Vodacom. If you're on MTN I'd go iPhone 4, because Vodacom still has no stock for months now. Heaven alone knows why they even list the iPhone on their list of phones...
I am on Vodacom.
Yeah, I did see the Nexus S on bidorbuy.co.za the other day.

I come from a Symbian background, so I expect my next phone to be functionally equivalent (or at least close) to Symbian.
Eye candy isn't on the top of my priority list, though it would be nice.
I would've got the N8 if it wasn't for Nokia going into bed with MS, I'm not so sure anymore.
The N8 has top hardware, you gotta admit that!

The iPhone has its stupid issues and drawbacks, we all know what they are!!

And I am someone who loves hacking :)

I am steering toward Android, the Silver SE Xperia Arc is a dream!!
It has the latest Android, and from what I gather, takes great pics and video.
It will only be here in May I think :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

shiv wrote:
ryanrich wrote:I wouldn't want a Symbian phone now even if it was free.

What network are you on? If you're on Vodacom I'd wait for the Nexus S as it is coming to SA on Vodacom. If you're on MTN I'd go iPhone 4, because Vodacom still has no stock for months now. Heaven alone knows why they even list the iPhone on their list of phones...
I am on Vodacom.
Yeah, I did see the Nexus S on bidorbuy.co.za the other day.

I come from a Symbian background, so I expect my next phone to be functionally equivalent (or at least close) to Symbian.
Eye candy isn't on the top of my priority list, though it would be nice.
I would've got the N8 if it wasn't for Nokia going into bed with MS, I'm not so sure anymore.
The N8 has top hardware, you gotta admit that!

The iPhone has its stupid issues and drawbacks, we all know what they are!!

And I am someone who loves hacking :)

I am steering toward Android, the Silver SE Xperia Arc is a dream!!
It has the latest Android, and from what I gather, takes great pics and video.
It will only be here in May I think :(
I don't actually. What are they?

Well as an iOS and Android user I would recommend either, but I wouldn't buy an SE Android phone. Either HTC, Motorola or Samsung.

N8 has decent hardware, but it means jack without good software, and Symbian is just about dead.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Posted in the Apple thread but actually belongs here more:
Apple iPhone 4 awarded ‘Best Mobile Device’ of 2011 at Mobile World Congress

Apple didn’t even show up at Mobile World Congress 2011, which took place in Barcelona, Spain, this week. But that didn’t stop the company’s iPhone 4 from taking home the show’s top prize for a mobile device.

Amidst an onslaught of newly unveiled smartphones — many of which run Google’s Android operating system — GSMA Global Mobile Awards judges have named the iPhone 4 the “Best Mobile Device” of 2011 for its “great screen, sharp design, fantastic materials, and phenomenal ecosystem for app developers.” This, despite the device’s widely-reported reception problems. (Antennagate, anyone?)

Apple has long avoided the technology industry’s premier events, such as Mobile World Congress (MWC) the annual Consumer Electronics Show, instead opting to hold its own highly-publicized press events. Not only that, but the Cupertino, CA-based company seems to leak news of upcoming products during these events, presumably to steal some of the thunder of its competitors who often use the shows as an opportunity to launch new products. During this year’s MWC, for instance, multiple reports have surfaced about a line of three new iPhones, which unnamed sources say could be announced this year. Big news, indeed.

Notable releases at MWC 2011 include the LG Optimus 3D, the first-ever smartphone to allow users to watch and record 3D video; the 4.8-inch Acer Iconia Smart; and the Samsung Galaxy S II, as well as a slew of new tablet PCs that will compete with the Apple iPad.

Apple aside, judges at MWC awarded HTC the honor of “Device Manufacturer of the Year” for its line of Android-based smartphones.

“This company has built its market presence from nowhere, with fresh branding and marketing and a strong portfolio of devices across many platforms,” the judges said in their official comment. “In particular, it has proven an exceptionally popular and enduring phone manufacturer. With great communication and good customer service, this is a well-deserved award.”

The judges also “highly commended” HTC for the HTC Desire, which “set the bar for Android phones across much of the world in 2010.”
Source
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I am excited to see what Nokia and MS come up with. WinMo7 may not be as feature rich as the rest, but apparently it is smoother than anything on the market.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

GreyWolf wrote:I am excited to see what Nokia and MS come up with. WinMo7 may not be as feature rich as the rest, but apparently it is smoother than anything on the market.
For sure, me as well. I read an article yesterday saying Nokia will be able to completely customise the OS on their phones, which is something that hasn't been allowed on the other WP7 devices as yet...
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I just wonder how long it will take for a decent product to come out? I mean Nokia makes great hardware, and the MS OS is better then Symbian, I hope they don't try and rush things, but I also hope they don't take too long.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
shiv

Post by shiv »

ryanrich wrote: I don't actually. What are they?

Well as an iOS and Android user I would recommend either, but I wouldn't buy an SE Android phone. Either HTC, Motorola or Samsung.

N8 has decent hardware, but it means jack without good software, and Symbian is just about dead.
*No USB mass storage mode - having to completely rely on iTunes to manage files is just not on!
*No proper file manager either
*Bluetooth - sending any file you want to any device - tell me, how is that working for you?
*No SMS/MMS delivery reports!! That's been around for how long now?
*More annoyances...

*Having to hack to get some of the above, and even then some of the apps for jailbroken phones are not free!

I know that the iPhone 4 has its positives as well though.

I do know about SE's track record regarding software updates, I think they have learned their lesson from the X10 debacle.
And besides, there's always custom ROMs.

I know that Symbian will die in 2 years time.
As I said, if it wasn't for that announcement, I wouldv'e gone with the N8.
I was convinced Nokia were on the right path with their Symbain^3 devices, and all the great content (games, apps) that followed afterwards.

Given all the dual core and Nvidia Tegra madness, I could go with the N8 now, and then upgrade later to Android.
I don't know!! Sigh... :cry:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hmmm, you sound very anti iPhone, so I don't think you should even consider it.

BTW, with my jailbroken iPhone I can do every single one of those little things you've mentioned, with almost no "hacking" and all for free. I don't often though, because they're honestly not important to me.

Great games and apps on Symbian? Eish, I seem to have missed those. They're absolutely pathetic compared to what is available on iOS and Android. I checked out the N8 when a friend here in CPT was reviewing it for Nokia SA, and I really don't like it, it's just not a good phone, compared to what else is available anyway.
shiv

Post by shiv »

ryanrich wrote:Hmmm, you sound very anti iPhone, so I don't think you should even consider it.

BTW, with my jailbroken iPhone I can do every single one of those little things you've mentioned, with almost no "hacking" and all for free. I don't often though, because they're honestly not important to me.

Great games and apps on Symbian? Eish, I seem to have missed those. They're absolutely pathetic compared to what is available on iOS and Android. I checked out the N8 when a friend here in CPT was reviewing it for Nokia SA, and I really don't like it, it's just not a good phone, compared to what else is available anyway.
The iPhone 4 is some serious piece of kit, that's why I did consider it.

Please confirm the following for me after jailbreaking:
* You were able to use USB mass storage mode, and/or have a proper file manager. ie all iTunes dependency removed?
So I can do what I want with *any* file/folder on the phone.
* You could send *any* file (jpg,mp3,etc) to *any* device.
I know that A2DP is supported, so bluetooth headphones will work.
Could you also get bluetooth modem working?
* You could still use the App Store as normal after jailbreaking

The points above are my main gripes with the iPhone, if they are resolved, then I will seriously consider the iPhone 4!!!

As for apps/gmes on Symbian^3, there was great content released for Symbian^3 devices, I have been following these developments on allaboutsymbian.
Sure, it's nowhere near the app count of iOS/Android, but it's good enough to keep us happy.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! :D
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Ok, so tell me, what can an iOS or windows mobile phone do that my symbian can't ?
shiv

Post by shiv »

Synthesis wrote:Ok, so tell me, what can an iOS or windows mobile phone do that my symbian can't ?
Exactly.
But, since Symbian is going to die, that is a big concern for me.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

shiv: Yup, can do every one of those things. I use SSH to manage the entire file system and copy whatever I want to the iPhone storage. Using the iPhone as a modem over bluetooth with internet tethering works extremely well out of the box. That's how I connect remotely to my office when on standby.

Synthesis: It's more about the availability and quality of apps/games for me and less about the OS functionality, and I just don't like the Symbian interface. To each their own though. Some hate iOS/Android/WP7 and love Symbian or BlackBerry, so it's awesome that there is so much choice so that people can get whichever smartphone works best for them.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

That makes sense. I get irritated when browsing for phone content and only 1 out of 25 worthwhile apps are for symbian. All the ones I do see are for iphone. Android hasn't really caught my attention yet. So I suppose steering away from symbian makes sense if you're tech-savvy and want to load your phone with everything available, for the future as well. In 2 years time I'll have another phone, so symbian dying doesn't matter.

But you're right, each to their own. I've never had high-end smart phones so for me I like symbian because of the quick response times of opening apps, switching to camera & turning the phone on. A phone to me must NEVER hang or have any delays whatsoever. That's all that steered me away from anything other than symbian, even though I'm sure this isn't the case anymore.
shiv

Post by shiv »

ryanrich wrote:shiv: Yup, can do every one of those things. I use SSH to manage the entire file system and copy whatever I want to the iPhone storage. Using the iPhone as a modem over bluetooth with internet tethering works extremely well out of the box. That's how I connect remotely to my office when on standby.

Synthesis: It's more about the availability and quality of apps/games for me and less about the OS functionality, and I just don't like the Symbian interface. To each their own though. Some hate iOS/Android/WP7 and love Symbian or BlackBerry, so it's awesome that there is so much choice so that people can get whichever smartphone works best for them.
Thanks!

Just two more things: :P

1) What Navigation App do you use? Google Maps is useless to me as there's no offline map data capability (though it is improving).

2) How do you purchase Apps from the App Store?
I don't have a Credit Card.
Though my colleague did mention a while back about putting in your debit card number or something and it was then accepted.
(He doesn't have a credit card, but was able to use car rental, for example).
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

shiv wrote:I do know about SE's track record regarding software updates, I think they have learned their lesson from the X10 debacle.
Not on SE, there aren't. The bootloader is locked down on SE phones, so the X10, for example, is locked to the Android 2.1 ROM that SE has released, and there's not much else you can do about that. SE even announced themselves that the X10 will never get 2.2. Ridiculous.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I don't use it for navigation, besides sometimes checking Google Maps for something, but I believe the TomTom app is good.

I have a US Apple ID so I buy iTunes gift vouchers in US dollars and then load the code into iTunes.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
shiv wrote:I do know about SE's track record regarding software updates, I think they have learned their lesson from the X10 debacle.
Not on SE, there aren't. The bootloader is locked down on SE phones, so the X10, for example, is locked to the Android 2.1 ROM that SE has released, and there's not much else you can do about that. SE even announced themselves that the X10 will never get 2.2. Ridiculous.
Yup. SE Android phones are just no good, especially for us lot who want to tinker and load custom ROM's etc...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:I have a US Apple ID so I buy iTunes gift vouchers in US dollars and then load the code into iTunes.
Exactly what I do. I have a Canadian account though.

ryanrich wrote:Yup. SE Android phones are just no good, especially for us lot who want to tinker and load custom ROM's etc...
Indeed. Tinkering aside, though, even just for the average consumer, SE phones are just no good. The lack of support is just unacceptable.
shiv

Post by shiv »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
ryanrich wrote:I have a US Apple ID so I buy iTunes gift vouchers in US dollars and then load the code into iTunes.
Exactly what I do. I have a Canadian account though.

ryanrich wrote:Yup. SE Android phones are just no good, especially for us lot who want to tinker and load custom ROM's etc...
Indeed. Tinkering aside, though, even just for the average consumer, SE phones are just no good. The lack of support is just unacceptable.
Thanks Guys.

How do you guys buy iTunes gift vouchers in US dollars?
I don't have a Credit Card, and I am new to anything Apple.
And I am in South Africa!

Thanks a mil. :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

You buy the vouchers online. Check ebay. You usually pick them up for a few bucks more than what they're worth, but that's alright. A $15 iTunes card is usually around $18.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yup, I buy mine from http://www.maximuscards.com/
Puento

Post by Puento »

Do you need roaming to chat through BBM? My dad went on vacation to Australia and Vodacom told him he could BBM me without any roaming, now its not working! How can he get it to work?
CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 2.66Ghz
MOBO: MSI P55-GD56
GPU: ATI Club3D HD5770 1G
SCREEN: Samsung SA350 24"
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Ars reviews the Motorola Xoom

The general feeling is that it's a very rushed product and Android still has quite a way to go to be on par with iOS as a tablet OS. Quite disappointing really, but hopefully with the updates coming it gets better...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Now wouldn't that be awesome one day.