Documents disappeard - how to get them back?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Documents disappeard - how to get them back?

Post by Tribble »

A client has a very strange problem. He works in a legal department and creates hundreds of documents which he saved on his local drive (yes I want to know why he was that stupid too). He has quite a complex folder structure where things are stored in folders within folders within folders etc. Let us say that it is something like this:

Folder 1 --> Folder 2 --> Folder 3 --> Folder 4 --> and here we have 50+ folders containing files. Well they used to contain files. All the files disappeared but the folders remain. This means that something had to go into each folder and remove the files. They are not in the recycle bin. Yes - search could have been run for all .docx files and then they could have been removed that way - but then they would be in the recycle bin. But not all .docx files are gone. Only the ones at this location.

The IT guys have tried a system restore - no luck. They checked for a virus - nothing (they are using some Symantec product).

Although I would love to know how these files went missing, my first priority is to try and get them back. Do any of you know of a good recovery / undelete tool I could use? I can only assume they are there - just removed from the FAT. The chap swears that he did not delete anything and no one else (to our knowledge) has access to his machine.

When will people listen when you send out emails telling them to work off the network drives and not their local drive?
doo_much

Re: Documents disappeard - how to get them back?

Post by doo_much »

XP machine?

If the files had indeed been deleted you might try one of these two apps:
http://www.win-freeware.com/REST2514.htm
http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1

But maybe hang around till the gurus show up - they might have a better plan or explanation for how it might've happened
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I shall definitely have a look at those. Thanks Doo.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Google is my friend... ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I will befriend it as soon as I come back. But I would rather try things someone knows will work ;-) I am just stumped as to how they disappeared. My feeling is virus but then the IT team tells me nope.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

If people didn't do stupid things on computers, vast majority of the computer industry would be unemployed - and I include you in that! ;)

Haven't tried those apps so better wait for the boffs. Especially for the explanation.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I have used Recuva successfully a few times now. Really easy to use.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Prime

Post by Prime »

check the anti virus logs for recent activity.

there is a virus that hides your files and replaces them with exe's
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Prime wrote:check the anti virus logs for recent activity.

there is a virus that hides your files and replaces them with exe's
To add on to this, make sure hidden files and folders are shown, as well as operating system files. Then check the folders again.

I've used a recovering tool before, but I can't recall the name at the moment. I remember Recuva, which Kalster mentioned, but there was a different one too.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Thanks. Yes in a perfect world I would assume that IT has checked for hidden properties. I will be checking. That is the first thing I will do. I ran a search to make sure they had not been moved - but if they were renamed and moved - then I am (insert metal object that is twisted into position). I am there again tomorrow so I want to take a few apps/progs that I can try. They have asked the IT Manager for help but he is too busy (and annoyed that the local disc was used I bet).

So thanks for all the suggestions. I love a challenge and cannot wait to see if I can find these things. It was soo easy on DOS - can't be that much harder in Windows.
Prime

Post by Prime »

take a root kit revealer along.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Good idea - thanks
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

there used to be a virus like 6/7/8 years ago that would delete all office doc's - specifically office docs.
Cannot for the life of me recall the virus, but there was a tool to reverse the damage - although the tool would rename found files like excel0001.xls - user then had to open each file and rename as required.