Laughter really is the best medicine!

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Laughter really is the best medicine!

Post by KatrynKat »

What does hearty laughter do to our body, mind & emotions?
  • Provides a powerful cardiac workout
  • Boosts oxygen intake, all major organs are fully oxygenated leaving us bursting with energy
  • Blood pressure normalizes, circulation improves and resting pulse rate drops
  • Reduces stress levels by 50% or more quickly --- they often remain reduced for days
  • Makes us more stress resistant and able to cope with stressful situations
  • Releases large quantities of endorphins that create a positive mental state and reduce aches & pains
  • Quickly increases motivation, self confidence, communication skills, innovation and creativity
  • Barriers between groups who laugh together disappear and they bond into cooperative teams with strong feelings of caring and wanting to help one another
  • Depression is lifted – even chronic depression may be reversed over a period of weeks
  • Aggression subsides and new tools to manage anger are learned
  • Immune, digestive & sexual systems are activated and boosted. There is a fast and substantial boost in levels of immune cells that attack cancer, infection and virus.
  • The lymphatic system is massaged further boosting the immune system
  • Laughter coaching practitioners report that they get sick far less often
LaughSA

Laughter Yoga
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Laughter really is the best medicine!

Post by Bladerunner »

If only I knew this when I had pneumonia! I could have laughed myself out of bed and back on my feet :P
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

ITT: cut-and-paste chain mail with little or no scientific grounding
Laughter coaching practitioners report that they get sick far less often
Saved the best for last hey?
WTH is a "laughter coaching practitioner" :?:
And can we really take their word that they "get sick far less often" (far less often than who - AIDS patients?) as proof that laughter is anything more than a just a physical expression of mirth...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I read the newspaper every morning I think I get enough :lol: in while looking at politicians squabble for scraps.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

jamin_za wrote: WTH is a "laughter coaching practitioner" :?:
I wondered about that myself. What a ridiculous job title.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Maybe that job title is meant to be ridiculous so as to make you :lol:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Maybe that job title is meant to be ridiculous so as to make you :lol:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Laughter may have some preventative properties to certain illnesses, but there's no guarantee it will work. It's definitely not medicine. Medicine cures you of a disease.

It's probably a "supplement".
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yoga is not sciencec, and even if it were... laughter yoga? You best be trolling

WTH is integrative healthcare? meaningless buzzword... like EQ...

And health psychology? I don't consider psychology a science, and I'm sure even psychologists don't consider "health psychology" real psychology. So it's a non-science which is probably scoffed at by pretend-scientists... pretty shabby scientific proof.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

bunch of lolwut quacks
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Next time you break a leg, laugh about it. No more pain. Whoop!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Yoga is not sciencec, and even if it were... laughter yoga? You best be trolling
Who said yoga is science? I don't suppose you read the link, did you?
WTH is integrative healthcare? meaningless buzzword... like EQ...
So, if the people citing scientific research are dubious, the research itself must also be by default? Didn't read the link....
And health psychology? I don't consider psychology a science, and I'm sure even psychologists don't consider "health psychology" real psychology. So it's a non-science which is probably scoffed at by pretend-scientists... pretty shabby scientific proof.
..Aaaand didn't read the link.

So, off the cuff reactions of personal incredulity. Being Jamin, you probably are trolling I hope? :P
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

KALSTER wrote:Who said yoga is science?
Katryn posted the links as "Scientific Evidence", hence suggesting that it is science. ;)

Did you read those links?
Let's quote them:
The first scientific study (randomized controlled trial) to provide evidence for the efficacy of Laughter Yoga in mental disorders was published this month in the International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. Findings showed that Laughter Yoga matched the efficacy of exercise therapy and even proved superior in improving life satisfaction.
Great, Laughter makes crazy Old people happier than physical Excercise. Amazing science there...

Institute for integrative healthcare studies
Check the top right corner for the Key: "Another Natural Wellness Solution".
There we go. More homeopathic BS.

Health psychology
There have been several studies that show a relationship between laughter and pain reduction or increase of pain tolerance. However, the results are still inconclusive.
Conclusion.
Overall, there is no straightforward evidence that laughter has a particular effect on health.
Nice science there ;)

No offense meant to you, katryn. Just try not to fall for such cheap tricks. Just because something claims to be scientific evidence for something doesn't mean that it is. Just look at creation "science" (but that's another thread).
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

being a scientist myself i know the value of hard core facts....
but i didn't fall for it, just merely tried to find proof for Jamin, but there is very little...

what this thread was supposed to be about is that we do not laugh as much as we are supposed to do and a little laughter everyday will go along way.....

and thanks anyway... :)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Yep.

1) "Great, Laughter makes crazy Old people happier than physical Excercise. Amazing science there..." Nice Appeal to ridicule fallacy there. First off, please read the actual Research Study (small PDF). Sure, the American School of Laughter Yoga is not a scientific institution, nor is Laughter Yoga science. The Yoga is just a tool. What the study did was test its efficacy in "decreasing depression and increasing life satisfaction" compared to exercise in a scientific way. You highlighted "Geriatric Psychiatry" for some reason, but I can't figure what it is. Not a worthy field?

2) "There we go. More homeopathic BS.". Again, look at the actual Study that they referenced. Homoeopathy is nonsense no doubt, but it doesn't mean everything they say is nonsense or actually homoeopathy, is it? The study was done by a legitimate University.

3) "Nice science there". While the link does not demonstrate that laughter helps pain (blunder KK :P ), they present a pretty scientific treatment of the variety of sites proclaiming such by referencing actual research papers. It is a scientific treatment, just not in support of KKs premise.

Brunch time!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Laughter is big business. I heard a woman interviewed on a radio show who is one of these laughter coaches. She goes into companies and holds laughing sessions. She says that it is not necessary to find something funny - just that you laugh. Laughter is infectious and has the same benefits whether it is genuine or not. Must say - her laughter was contagious but I am not so sure I would enjoy being called into a laughing meeting at work. I am there to do a job and generally find enough to snicker about without false laughter.

I have noticed that I feel better after I have laughed - but not sure I am healthier for it.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

KALSTER wrote:
Yep.

1) "Great, Laughter makes crazy Old people happier than physical Excercise. Amazing science there..." Nice Appeal to ridicule fallacy there. First off, please read the actual Research Study (small PDF). Sure, the American School of Laughter Yoga is not a scientific institution, nor is Laughter Yoga science. The Yoga is just a tool. What the study did was test its efficacy in "decreasing depression and increasing life satisfaction" compared to exercise in a scientific way. You highlighted "Geriatric Psychiatry" for some reason, but I can't figure what it is. Not a worthy field?

2) "There we go. More homeopathic BS.". Again, look at the actual Study that they referenced. Homoeopathy is nonsense no doubt, but it doesn't mean everything they say is nonsense or actually homoeopathy, is it? The study was done by a legitimate University.

3) "Nice science there". While the link does not demonstrate that laughter helps pain (blunder KK :P ), they present a pretty scientific treatment of the variety of sites proclaiming such by referencing actual research papers. It is a scientific treatment, just not in support of KKs premise.

Brunch time!
Hmm I see you recently graduated from the Rustypup School of Trolling with a Doctorate in Picking an arbitrary side in a debate and maniacally defending it no matter how many facts are in the way

Was your doctoral thesis on the infamous headlights thread :?:

:P

@KK this thread has given me my daily dose of laughter, so thanks, feel better already :D
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Picking an arbitrary side in a debate and maniacally defending it no matter how many facts are in the way
Which ones would that be dear sir?
Was your doctoral thesis on the infamous headlights thread
I am hitting a blank. :?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I for one say laughter can make pain worse :P
It can however dull the shock associated with the pain.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

KALSTER wrote:
Was your doctoral thesis on the infamous headlights thread
I am hitting a blank. :?
Rusty vs the rest of the planet in an argument about what exactly constituted "fog lights" IIRC
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

KatrynKat wrote:being a scientist myself i know the value of hard core facts....
but i didn't fall for it
*cough cough* Then don't post it?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

jamin_za wrote:Rusty vs the rest of the planet in an argument about what exactly constituted "fog lights" IIRC
Must have missed it or, more probably, it went straight into my mental shredder that sometimes chooses arbitrarily on its own and deposits everything onto a pre-existing huge pile of bits I rarely have the capacity to piece together.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

KALSTER wrote: 1) "Great, Laughter makes crazy Old people happier than physical excercise. Amazing science there..." Nice Appeal to ridicule fallacy there. First off, please read the actual Research Study (small PDF). Sure, the American School of Laughter Yoga is not a scientific institution, nor is Laughter Yoga science. The Yoga is just a tool. What the study did was test its efficacy in "decreasing depression and increasing life satisfaction" compared to exercise in a scientific way. You highlighted "Geriatric Psychiatry" for some reason, but I can't figure what it is. Not a worthy field?
Nice use of debative buzz words there ;)
First off: I'm not attempting to ridicule. Merely stating the fact in a humourous way.
Geriatric psychiatry is the psychiatry of old people.
Did you miss the "Mental Disorder" I also highlighted?
i.o.w. The study is one of the psychiatry of mental disorders in old people and how it is affected by "laughter yoga". (ie. my use of "crazy old people").
Furthermore, what exactly is "life satisfaction"? And what relation does that have to physical health?
From what I can deduce, life satisfaction is simply how happy you are with your life. Correct? And other than a possible slight placebo effect, I can't see how that can improve one's physical health.
Therefore, my summary of the study is pretty accurate in that it is simply trying to prove that laughter makes depressed old women feel happier about their lot in life, than they would have felt if they had been given physical excercise only.
In other words, it is not at all a study, nor proof of any physical health benefits gotten from laughter.
What's more is that the only thing scientific about the study is perhaps the way the data was compiled and displayed. The study itself is of a non-scientific field, the method used to "treat" the mental illness, is not scientific, and I dare say that the data collection isn't scientific either. I mean, how exactly do you determine or measure a person's level of depression, or their "Life satisfaction"?
KALSTER wrote: 2) "There we go. More homeopathic BS.". Again, look at the actual Study that they referenced. Homoeopathy is nonsense no doubt, but it doesn't mean everything they say is nonsense or actually homoeopathy, is it? The study was done by a legitimate University.
Firstly, I did read the study anyway, even though it is propagated by a bunch of loons ("Natural Wellness").
The fact that the study was done at a respectable university, doesn't make it more plausible. Remember that universities often study weird and wonderful things because a few people (including the professor) might believe it.
Unfortunately the article shows the flaws in the "study".
They showed groups of people clips from 2 movies, and measured the dilation (opening) or constriction (closing) of their blood vessels before and after each movie.
When the results were out, and the (remotely) funny movie proved to be more effective at increasing blood flow, they jumped to the conclusion, it seems, that laughter must have caused it.
Where is the data on the neurohormones (like serotonin) present in the blood of the subjects which would be the actual cause of the capillary dilation?
Yes, perhaps the effect is better after watching the "funny" movie, But it could equally be Vanessa Angel's outfits in King pin causing the increased blood flow. ;)
My point is though, that it is the person's feelings that cause hormones to be secreted that effect the flow of blood, and there is no proof in this study that it is the laughter itself.
To quote their own findings:
"We don't recommend that you laugh and not exercise, but we do recommend that you try to laugh on a regular basis. Thirty minutes of exercise three times a week, and 15 minutes of laughter on a daily basis is probably good for the vascular system."
This is exactly the kind of fine print missed by the masses that also perpetuates Verimark products.
eg. "Take this pill, and you can eat what you want."
But the fine print everyone misses says: "Works best with a balanced diet and frequent exercise"
KALSTER wrote:3) "Nice science there". While the link does not demonstrate that laughter helps pain (blunder KK ), they present a pretty scientific treatment of the variety of sites proclaiming such by referencing actual research papers. It is a scientific treatment, just not in support of KKs premise.
My comment, "nice science there" wasn't an indication of the science in the 3rd study, it was an overall comment on the post.

I felt my quotes in response to the 3rd link showed my sentiment that it did more harm to KK's argument than good, since it effectively concludes that there is no proof of laughter having an effect on physical health.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Bladerunner wrote:
KatrynKat wrote:being a scientist myself i know the value of hard core facts....
but i didn't fall for it
*cough cough* Then don't post it?
Hahahahaha... at least the posts are on topic.