NTSC to PAL conversion

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

NTSC to PAL conversion

Post by maxxis »

Hi guys. I want to get a MiniDV camcorder when I go to the states end of the year. (The stuff is dead cheap there).

All the cams are NTSC. If I capture the video to PC via Firewire and Pinnacle DV9, how can I convert the NTSC to PAL so that I can use the video again on SA systems.

Do I just export the video as PAL via Codecs?

Cheers
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Any video editing package can export the clip at a different framerate (which is essentially the difference between NTSC and PAL).
human slave in an insect nation
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Thanks.
KikAsH

Re: NTSC to PAL conversion

Post by KikAsH »

maxxis wrote:Hi guys. I want to get a MiniDV camcorder when I go to the states end of the year. (The stuff is dead cheap there).

All the cams are NTSC. If I capture the video to PC via Firewire and Pinnacle DV9, how can I convert the NTSC to PAL so that I can use the video again on SA systems.

Do I just export the video as PAL via Codecs?

Cheers
Err.... almost but not quite :) If you're gonna buy in the States then the best place to go, IMO, is: B & H Photo. They're the most competatively priced stockists of photo and video equipment that i've ever come across, knowledgeable and proffessional too. They also stock and sell PAL camcorders in most makes and models.

As far as converting from one to the other is concerned, it's pretty much as simple as Leigh put it, although you can run into audio sync problems (amongst others) which makes it an inconvenient PAIN in the BUTT!!!

Rather get a PAL camera and save yourself the headaches.
"YOU MUST BE THE CHANGE YOU HOPE TO SEE IN THE WORLD" Mahatma Gandhi
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Thanks. Did order from BH. Great prices. I actually found that my LG tv plays back NTSC with no problems. The PAL camcorders at BH are a bit limited and lots more expensive than the NTSC ones.

I am willing to take the risk with the audio & video sinc. Audio is not my biggest issue as it is mostly unneeded for what I plan to use it for.

Order a firewire card and cable too. Very very cheap.

Thanks
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

You can always try and win the lottery and fork out on a telecine setup :D
human slave in an insect nation