StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Asus Xonar DX sound stuttering

Post by StarBound »

In this day and age I cant factor out poor programming, bad power supply or faulty components. So here is my pain. Below is my system specs (see sig). What I will add is that I am running my drives in AHCI mode.

I recently am experiencing some very problematic sound issues with World of Warcraft where a text would pop up but no speech. At first I figured that it is a programming bug. After listening a while I noticed that my music would also start to stutter/repeat like a dj scratching a record. The game went on though. Just with sound suddenly catching up around 10 seconds later. Then I started playing Half-life 2 again. Every once in a while I would do something that would make a sound like say crash through crates or fall into water and suddenly my game would stop for a while and repeat the sound for 10 seconds before carrying on. It reminds me of the days where your ram was not enough and you would find the game swapping memory.

Now I am sitting at a position where I dont know what to do and if my card should just be removed.

I tried a google and came up with these answers:
Set my pci timing to 64 from 32
Change harddrive controller from AHCI to IDE.

As far as those go I believe my timing is already 64. As for IDE mode AHCI makes SSDs perform better so I dont see why I should even consider this.

Anyone else had this problem with this sound card or with another sound card before? And how did you fix it?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Asus Xonar DX sound stuttering

Post by Anakha56 »

Try another port to see if you have the same problem? Uninstall/reinstall drivers? I am having no issues with my Xonar, runs like a dream...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

What is your pc specs? Drivers I have updated. I don't remember these issues a few months ago though. Trying to remember if I did a bios update or something to my other hardware.
My Steam Screenshots

Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Pull it out, make sure the slot and contacts are clean, put it back in
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

StarBound wrote:What is your pc specs? Drivers I have updated. I don't remember these issues a few months ago though. Trying to remember if I did a bios update or something to my other hardware.
AMD FX-62
ASUS Crosshair mobo
Geforce 460GTX
4GB RAM
Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe

No idea what could be causing your issues :?...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Ok this has become really bad now. It has reached the point where a game like half-life 2 episode 2 is having problems with voices. The characters would speak and then only later the voice would come through.

I am no longer looking at a hardware issue. I am now starting to suspect codecs. This happened to NOLF2 ages ago.
My Steam Screenshots

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

had this same (sortof) "sound lag" on a realtec integrated mobo.
I bought a add-on creative card, disabled the integrated sound in bios, and it fixed everything immediately.
Sadly, imo, your xonar is on the bumheap.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I dont know where the issue can be. Either something with the ssd or something with the connection from drive to mainboard to sound card.
My Steam Screenshots

ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

I have an Asus Xonar D1 sound card, very similar to the DX, anyway I have similar problems with my sound card too..

If sound skips or stutters for a second or two, chances are, the card spasms out and keeps repeating the 'stuttered or skipped' sound until eventually you restart the PC.

Mostly, I've found its a great sound card, REALLY excellent, but this has become a slight problem which normally occurs in CSS Source when pushing F10 to quit, the sound often skips and the card continues to play that sound, requiring a reboot.
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I don't have that problem. I could move the card down 1 pci-e port and see what happens. But I havent had an issue like this in forever. Only as of the WoW 4.0.x has this become an issue and same with half-life 2. I don't want to rule out an hardware issue because prior to December I actually updated my BIOS and changed a few hardware settings. Somewhere an update has something to do with this.
My Steam Screenshots